Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

williamkazak
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

I have noticed that the latest Nikon lenses have gone to bayonet hoods, which can increase their width considerably. Lens pouches must be wider to carry them. For instance, the newest 85mm F1.8 AFSG lens, which takes 67mm filters, uses a Nikon bayonet hood which is aprox. 90mm wide. Therefore, I have taken a hood off of a Celestron 300mm F5.6 Reflex lens, also 67mm front threads. That hood is still aprox. 67mm wide. It seems to work just fine on the 85mm AFSG Nikon lens for DX but I have not tried it yet on FX. It keeps everything narrow and compact. I remember lens shades just screwing in that were the same as the filter threads; the old 85mm AF F1.8 and 85mm F1.8 Ais. Current 180mm AF lens has a pull out hood, the old 200mm F4 has a pull out hood and the 105 F2 DC has a pull out hood. These are lenses that I have owned. I know that other lenses do the same. I have heard the arguments that pull out hoods may not be as effective. Nevertheless, I purchased a 72mm Sonia lens shade on eBay for the 180mm F2.8 and the 105 F2DC. That hood is more effective than the Nikon pull out hoods on those lenses. The Sonia hood added a little more length but kept the width nicely compact. It can be a pain when using filters to not have a bayonet lens shade but you cannot turn a polarizer with a bayonet lens hood. Is anyone else having problems with bayonet lens shades?

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:53 PM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

williamkazak wrote:
I have noticed that the latest Nikon lenses have gone to bayonet hoods, which can increase their width considerably.

Latest Nikon lenses? That change happened back in the last century...

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

Yeah, I remember sitting on the petal side of the hood for the 28-70/2.8 back in 2000. A large and painful hood it was.

I like the Sony hoods with the gap for adjusting yourself.

EBH

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

Yeah, I remember sitting on the petal side of the hood for the 28-70/2.8 back in 2000. A large and painful bayonet hood it was.

EBH

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

EBH

That's a neat trick - my wife always objects when I need to 'adjust' myself

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

Sorry, I meant the gap to turn the polarizer. We're not sure what is going on with the boards lately.

EBH

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:52 AM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #7 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

williamkazak wrote:
I have noticed that the latest Nikon lenses have gone to bayonet hoods, which can increase their width considerably. Lens pouches must be wider to carry them. For instance, the newest 85mm F1.8 AFSG lens, which takes 67mm filters, uses a Nikon bayonet hood which is aprox. 90mm wide. Therefore, I have taken a hood off of a Celestron 300mm F5.6 Reflex lens, also 67mm front threads. That hood is still aprox. 67mm wide. It seems to work just fine on the 85mm AFSG Nikon lens for DX but I have not tried it yet on FX. It keeps everything
...Show more

I hear you.

I hate the hood on my 24-120/4 VR.

Jun 15, 2013 at 01:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

I guess if you gotta hate something, a small inanimate object will do.

Jun 16, 2013 at 03:29 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Lens Hoods on Newest lenses Are Very Wide

The hood on the 24-70 almost got broken the other day when I forgot the little button.

Jun 16, 2013 at 07:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password