Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

Beni wrote:
If you understand the limitations (you got to have the flash real close) then it works perfectly.

Which is why I use regular flash instead of high speed sync: you have to be close to the subject and I am usually farther away. High speed sync significantly reduces the power output of the flash; you can run into insufficient light shooting group portraits where you have to step back some to get everybody in.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:40 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

D. Diggler wrote:
I've used five stops of neutral density filters to get to 1/200th on the shutter at 100 ISO.

ISO 50 also is a help..even wish to have 25...

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
nswelton
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

this is true, if you have HSS off. if you have it on, i think the flash duration gets locked to whatever your shutter speed is. try it -- take a picture of moving tap water or something at 1/250th with HSS on, and 1/160th with HSS off. you will see motion with HSS on if the shutter speed is low.

D. Diggler wrote:
Not sure I follow all that but you mention a flash duration of 1/250th. My understanding is flash off a speedlight is much faster than that. To my knowledge, a flash at 100% full power will have a duration of around 1/1000th of a second and as the power is cut [say 1/2 power, 1/4 power, etc.] the duration becomes shorter, into the range of 1/5000th or faster.

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

CMB Photo wrote:
ISO 50 also is a help..even wish to have 25.

I usually try to avoid that. I've heard that those lowest ISOs tend to clip highlights.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:36 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

I use HSS only when I need to stop motion that's decently fast with the aperture almost fully open. This is normally when it's darker and I need external flash to light as well as stop or slow motion down like people running, lights going by fast, or something that I want frozen in time.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password