Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

aonavy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

Just have a quick question for you guys. My triggers I use with my GH3 dont have HSS functionality and limit my shutter speed to 1/100. I'm wondering if this will be enough at weddings? yes-no?

what shutter speeds do you typically shoot at?

I'm just trying to figure out my lighting for the future.

Thanks in advanced

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:20 PM
amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

It's not ideal, and you'll run into a lot of limitations; but that doesn't mean it can't work. You should try some experimenting in similar lighting conditions as to what you expect to shoot in. I think you'll find that you need to be pretty selective about when you use flash. Keep in mind, there are several parts to the wedding day. It'll work for some, but not for all.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:39 PM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #3 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

i was messing around last night in low light conditions and seems to freeze frame well, even at 1/60.

just wanted to see what other people were doing and there thoughts.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:50 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

To answer your other question, I never use it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:47 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

For low light, the limited sync speed isn't usually an issue. For bright light, it almost always limits you in some way.

I use HSS for bright light portraits with thin DOF. That's about it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:09 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

I have never used it. I assume pingol and hoffer do.

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:14 PM
nswelton
• •
p.1 #7 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

i use it outside for shallow DOF. if you use it while people are dancing, it will cause ghosting on fast moving subjects. i believe the flash duration will be the same as the shutter speed... at least, this is the case with canon. so set my shutter speed to however much ambient i want to capture and turn HSS off. generally around 1/160th.

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:18 PM
thethinkcouch
• • • •
p.1 #8 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

depends on what you are shooting... shooting the reception at 1/100th wont be an issue with flash as flash will freeze your subjects. outside however is a different story...

the easiest way to shoot outside without spending an arm and a leg is with a variable ND filter. this will keep your 1/100th sync outdoors and still keep shallow depth of field.

//ed

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:34 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

thethinkcouch wrote:
depends on what you are shooting... shooting the reception at 1/100th wont be an issue with flash as flash will freeze your subjects.

This really depends on exposure...if there's enough ambient then it's really easy to get ghosting with moving subjects or camera shake at 1/100...

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:45 PM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #10 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

thethinkcouch wrote:
depends on what you are shooting... shooting the reception at 1/100th wont be an issue with flash as flash will freeze your subjects. outside however is a different story...

the easiest way to shoot outside without spending an arm and a leg is with a variable ND filter. this will keep your 1/100th sync outdoors and still keep shallow depth of field.

//ed

this is exactly my train of thought and planned on doing.

Jun 12, 2013 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

asparkes
• • •
p.1 #11 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

On days when the sun is craptastically bright it can be really nice to still have some shallow DOF. Otherwise, not super needed.

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:34 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

nswelton wrote:
if you use it while people are dancing, it will cause ghosting on fast moving subjects

I regularly shoot dancing at 1/60th and never get any ghosting.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:10 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

thethinkcouch wrote:
the easiest way to shoot outside without spending an arm and a leg is with a variable ND filter. this will keep your 1/100th sync outdoors and still keep shallow depth of field

I actually never use high speed sync, even outdoors. Outside in bright light, I use neutral density filters. (Never tried the variable filters.)

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:14 PM
thethinkcouch
• • • •
p.1 #14 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

^ variable ND filters are AWESOME!!! try it out and you'll throw away your regular ND's. =)

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:26 PM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #15 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

+ 1 on VND

Jun 12, 2013 at 07:36 PM
nswelton
• •
p.1 #16 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

this isn't quite right -- if you have HSS on, your flash duration will be a regular flash duration below your sync speed, and above your sync speed it will be the same as the shutter speed. so at 1/250th, you'll have a 1/250th flash duration. if you're at 1/160th, you'll have a 1/8000th flash duration. my bad.

nswelton wrote:
i use it outside for shallow DOF. if you use it while people are dancing, it will cause ghosting on fast moving subjects. i believe the flash duration will be the same as the shutter speed... at least, this is the case with canon. so set my shutter speed to however much ambient i want to capture and turn HSS off. generally around 1/160th.

Jun 13, 2013 at 04:40 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #17 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

deepbluejh wrote:
For low light, the limited sync speed isn't usually an issue. For bright light, it almost always limits you in some way.

I use HSS for bright light portraits with thin DOF. That's about it.

+1

you gotta use a lot of ND filters or shoot f 32 to keep that 1/100 (why 1/100) that's why 5dii with 1/160 i was like what? at least would like 250 as it used to be..

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:35 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

CMB Photo wrote:
you gotta use a lot of ND filters

I've used five stops of neutral density filters to get to 1/200th on the shutter at 100 ISO.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:01 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

nswelton wrote:
if you have HSS on, your flash duration will be a regular flash duration below your sync speed, and above your sync speed it will be the same as the shutter speed. so at 1/250th, you'll have a 1/250th flash duration. if you're at 1/160th, you'll have a 1/8000th flash duration.

Not sure I follow all that but you mention a flash duration of 1/250th. My understanding is flash off a speedlight is much faster than that. To my knowledge, a flash at 100% full power will have a duration of around 1/1000th of a second and as the power is cut [say 1/2 power, 1/4 power, etc.] the duration becomes shorter, into the range of 1/5000th or faster.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:24 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · do you use HSS at wedding? Is it needed?

Used to use it the whole time. If you understand the limitations (you got to have the flash real close) then it works perfectly.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password