Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 2nd Shooter SONY

Gary Harfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd Shooter SONY

Would you hire a 2nd shooter if they used Sony Gear? The persons work is good, but I think them not using Canon or Nikon depending upon what the main shooter is using could in fact be a draw back. in case of lets say gear failure.

Yes or No

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd Shooter SONY

Would you hire a contractor on wether he uses stanley or estwing hammer?

As long as he knows how to work the wood up to your standards...

Also, I'm pretty sure nikons and canons break down as much as sony... Sony makes great cameras to pair with amazing zeiss glass

Just my opinion... Some people might care about this though

Edited on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM
aonavy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd Shooter SONY

what kind of sony gear? those A77 are decent rigs.

if there work is good, then sure. Just make sure he has pro lens to go with the Sony

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd Shooter SONY

I use Sony. Would you hire me? I wouldn't care if someone said no because of what I use personally - there would probably be an overall personality clash if that was the case anyway.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd Shooter SONY

Gear failure? Why wouldn't both the primary shooter and the second shooter have their own backup gear?? That shouldn't be a factor.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd Shooter SONY

Sony a55

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd Shooter SONY

Gary Harfield wrote:
Sony a55

Have you seen their work? Do they have backup equipment? Have you met them personally / know anything about them?

Those are the questions I'd be asking personally. The camera, although lower end, doesn't mean a lot on it's own. It's good a good sensor, decent AF system, so can produce amazing photos as much as any other camera (in the right hands).

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd Shooter SONY

if they have appropriate back up and know what they are doing, it would not matter to me. Sony system provides awesome looking files, especially with good lenses. on one of my recent weddings, I gave my assistant all of my sony stuff and let her shoot during the ceremony, it went very well and you would not be able to detect a difference from either system.

Edited on Jun 12, 2013 at 02:24 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:22 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2nd Shooter SONY

I 2nd shoot a lot and I mention I'm a Leica or Canon Shooter. I own a Leica M9 and Canon 5D Mark 2. I've only worked with two photographers that didn't mind me using the Leica. All the rest have said, "Can you just use the Canon."

Then there's the conversation about lenses. When I shoot Canon I only use 3 lenses, the 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4 and 100mm f2.0. It can be frustrating to explain why, and its always been this kind of "Really?" moment when it comes out, but no one has ever been upset I don't use a 24-70 70-200 combo. But for some reason it's just this assumption everyone has one. And it's amazing how some people don't understand how you can be a professional and be experienced and not own a 200mm lens. Like not having one negates years of education and experience.

Ugh, anyway I'm ranting but it's just one of those frustrating things. Every photographer, hell, every professional in any industry has their own way of doing things, why make someone work the way you work and expect predictable results if you're changing their entire working method. It's like if someone took photoshop away from you and made you do all your editing in GIMP because they use it so it'll work fine for you too.

If the persons portfolio demonstrates a visual style that falls in line with your own, it shouldn't matter how they do it. If they are using a Nikon, a Sony, or a Hasselblad. Just let them work and they'll produce predictable results for you.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:23 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2nd Shooter SONY

I have to say I find it frustrating when one of my seconds does not have the reach of a 70-200 when they could really use it.

To answer the OP question I guess I would want to I see a few files to play with then and get a feel for whether they would easily enough fit with my images' look. I suspect it wouldn't be a problem.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

derbarrett
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2nd Shooter SONY

I shoot Sony (A99 and A850) and actually used an a55 for 2-3 weddings a few years ago. From an overall IQ perspective you will be hard pressed to get better files at low ISOs than what Sony cameras produce! Where they fall a little short is IQ at high ISOs and the AF system is not quite as good in my opninon as CaNikon. As far as the a55 is concerned and assuming that the 2nd shooter can actually shoot... as long as he/she has good glass and keeps the ISO <= 1600 the images will be great. Also from what I have noticed (one of 2nd shooters uses a Nikon D600 and the other uses a 5d3) the Sony Raw files seem to have more vibrant colors.

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2nd Shooter SONY

The only compelling reason I can think of is the potential of sharing lenses and speedlites. Some care about image file consistencies. Meh, I have mixed in Nikon stuff and seems to be fine.

I'd go for skills above gear.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:34 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2nd Shooter SONY

TTLKurtis wrote:
I find it frustrating when one of my seconds does not have the reach of a 70-200 when they could really use it.

I can imagine. Especially for the ceremony where I like to see at least a 200.

Jun 12, 2013 at 09:33 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2nd Shooter SONY

swoop wrote:
I 2nd shoot a lot and I mention I'm a Leica or Canon Shooter. ... I've only worked with two photographers that didn't mind me using the Leica. All the rest have said, "Can you just use the Canon."

Hard to understand, man. The primary will turn down a Leica?!? If I had you as my second, I would tell you to go heavy on the Leica shots.

By the way ... I was surprised to see that on a recent thread where someone was looking for a second and you had replied, you didn't even mention you had the Leica. Only mentioned the Canon. (Unless I'm thinking of someone else.)

Jun 12, 2013 at 09:39 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2nd Shooter SONY

No because everyone in the world should think a like and use the same everything the same way.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:52 AM
mohoyt

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 2nd Shooter SONY

swoop wrote:
Then there's the conversation about lenses. When I shoot Canon I only use 3 lenses, the 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4 and 100mm f2.0.

Great combo - I only use the same three with my 5D3 and LOVE it.

Ultimately I think it comes down to how well you know your equipment and how capable you are of using it to obtain your artistic style.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:23 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 2nd Shooter SONY

mohoyt wrote:
Great combo - I only use the same three with my 5D3 and LOVE it.

I used to shoot with about that same kit. Compact and light weight compared to the alternatives.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:06 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 2nd Shooter SONY

If we were sticking with weddings long term, there's a good chance that we'd have sold our DSLR gear anyway and just moved to a Fuji x-setup (e.g., an x100s, an x-pro 1, and a 23mm and 60mm lens) in a year or two to save on weight.

We've already been doing everything for a while with a pair of D700s and a 35,50,85 setup. Never found the need for a longer lens.

Regarding seconds, I wouldn't care one bit what they used; the only things I'd focus on would be what their previous work and style looked like and how reliable they were.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:50 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 2nd Shooter SONY

tobicus wrote:
we'd have sold our DSLR ... in a year or two to save on weight.

We've already been doing everything for a while with a pair of D700s and a 35,50,85 setup.

That setup you're using now is actually pretty light in weight compared to what many of us use.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:08 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 2nd Shooter SONY

^ It is, but it still hurts the shoulders after an all day wedding. Last Saturday we were on our feet from around 12:30 to 11, and we felt it the next day. Fortunately, only one more all day package this year...

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password