Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

Brea
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

http://cosplayphotographers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Kira-Hokuten-cosplay-photographer-manilla-philippines-643x427.jpg

In this picture the guy uses it with his hands, and I've seen people do this too. How does it work if you're using a 5D3, which has no external flash to trigger the speedlite?

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:09 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

wireless trigger

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:11 AM
Brea
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

pr4photos wrote:
wireless trigger

Sorry, not enough flash knowledge. Just learned about this. Had a wrong perception of triggers. Thanks

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

Yes you need a trigger on top of your camera, and a receiver on the flash.

If you have the 600EX-RT speedlite, you only need a trigger. (The ST-E3-RT)

For even better results and easier handling, mount the flash on a telescopic stick. Like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611174-REG/Lastolite_LL_LS2413_Ezybox_HS_Long_Extending.html

It's a great solution when you don't have an assistant.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:49 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

Transceiver on camera, receiver on flash.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

I've always viewed the one-handed approach (camera and flash) to be an accident waiting to happen. Sooner or later flash or camera are likely to hit the ground.

The arm isn't long enough to get the flash out to the side at a flattering 45° angle, and for centered and overhead (which is naturally flattering for full face views) mounting the flash on a bracket does the job more securely.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

cgardner wrote:
I've always viewed the one-handed approach (camera and flash) to be an accident waiting to happen. Sooner or later flash or camera are likely to hit the ground.

The arm isn't long enough to get the flash out to the side at a flattering 45° angle, and for centered and overhead (which is naturally flattering for full face views) mounting the flash on a bracket does the job more securely.

How can the camera hit the ground if you use a neck strap?

How can the flash not light the subject at a flattering 45° angle, if you use a monopod, or even better - the grip-stick that I linked to earlier. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611174-REG/Lastolite_LL_LS2413_Ezybox_HS_Long_Extending.html

You'd have to be very clumsy to drop that one. If you are clumsy, you can secure the stick with a wrist strap.

Jun 12, 2013 at 04:20 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

Rickuz wrote:
How can the camera hit the ground if you use a neck strap?

How can the flash not light the subject at a flattering 45° angle, if you use a monopod, or even better - the grip-stick that I linked to earlier. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611174-REG/Lastolite_LL_LS2413_Ezybox_HS_Long_Extending.html

You'd have to be very clumsy to drop that one. If you are clumsy, you can secure the stick with a wrist strap.

Not everyone uses a neck strap...

Balancing a flash on a monopod out to the side would seem even more awkward than holding a flash on an outstretched arm and if shooting at 8ft from the subject you'd need a very long pole to get the light 45º to the nose of an oblique view of the face where the key light winds up 90° from the camera axis.

Then there's the matter of aiming the light relative to the face precisely and filling the shadows. Just moving a flash off axis doesn't make lighting flattering. That requires precise orientation of the face to key light, something I find is easier when an off axis key light stays in one place on a stand. When a key light is moved to the side it will cast dark shadows if there isn't a second flash near axis for fill.

YMMV but I've found a flash on bracket as Master / Fill and slave on a rolling stand more practical

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:48 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

Brea wrote:
...How does [handheld off-camera flash] work if you're using a 5D3, which has no external flash to trigger the speedlite?

In addition to radio triggers, a very reliable and relatively inexpensive way to do it is to use a cable. For decades we used simple PC cords (sync only), but more recently fully-dedicated cables like the Canon OC-E3 or the Nikon SC-29 have become more common.

I have both short, coiled ETTL cords and a long (24 feet), straight one from Flash Zebra (see photo below), although the latter doesn't get as much use as it used to, now that I have the excellent YN-622C ETTL radio triggers.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

This has been done f.o.r.v.e.r.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:30 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

cordellwillis wrote:
This has been done f.o.r.v.e.r.

What? You mean no one has learned from all those dropped cameras and flashes that Chuck talks about that this is an accident waiting to happen?

Imagine that.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

cgardner wrote:

Your going to bash a guy for doing something that gets the job done? Maybe its no ideal, but in a pinch it works. How cares how you do it, as long as the photo comes out.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:50 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to use SPEEDLITE with your hands?

basehorhonda wrote:
Your going to bash a guy for doing something that gets the job done? Maybe its no ideal, but in a pinch it works. How cares how you do it, as long as the photo comes out.

Suggesting what I've found to be more effective alternatives isn't "bashing". As you say what matters is how the photo comes out and in that respect as I mentioned precise control over orientation of key light to face is critical and better controlled with a light on a stationary stand when used off axis. While convenient the method shown makes precise control of the lighting pattern difficult.

As with any suggestion I would expect people to try all possible options and decide which works best for them in terms of logistics and results. I've been doing that for 40 years now, have tried everything, and have found what works best for me. YMMV.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:42 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.