Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · High Key....Not For Me?

stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · High Key....Not For Me?

My ladies.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF50mm f/1.2L USM lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X    EF85mm f/1.2L II USM lens    85mm    f/1.2    1/1000s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:09 AM
15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · High Key....Not For Me?

Does this count as HK?

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:36 AM
Scottgoh

p.2 #3 · High Key....Not For Me?

2 high key wedding photos

hk photo

high key photo 2

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Scottgoh

p.2 #4 · High Key....Not For Me?

2 high key from wedding..

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:26 AM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.2 #5 · High Key....Not For Me?

While I have no reason to back this up, I always assumed high-key stood for high key lighting. I.e. the key light is exposed to the verge of blowing it out. My model on the previous page had the key light coming from behind and I blew it out to expose for the models face. I don't agree that high key won't have any blacks, but then again that could just be in my head.

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.2 #6 · High Key....Not For Me?

Johnny B Goode wrote:
While I have no reason to back this up, I always assumed high-key stood for high key lighting. I.e. the key light is exposed to the verge of blowing it out.

That is generally the way I think about it. High-key means the key light is big, straight-on the subject, and strong. High-key images are generally studies in subtle differentiations in tone and those tones are generally on the light end of the spectrum, at least as far as the subject is concerned.

Johnny B Goode wrote:
My model on the previous page had the key light coming from behind and I blew it out to expose for the models face.

The only problem I find with that statement is that a "key light" coming from behind is arguably no longer a key light. It is a backlight. Of course in that particular image, the subject still has close to high-key lighting since there is light coming from the camera side, either direct or reflected.

Johnny B Goode wrote:
I don't agree that high key won't have any blacks, but then again that could just be in my head.

I think you can have some blacks in a high-key image but I think the more you do that, the more you defeat the purpose of traditional high-key lighting - that is to emphasize subtle tones without being distracted by high-contrast elements.

High-contrast elements are the forte of low-key images, where the emphasis is on edges and perhaps texture.

Of course, a photo can be a good image whether it is high-key, low-key or neither of those extremes but it is useful to try to have terms that people have a general agreement about what they mean.

Several of the images in this thread are not high-key for me, mainly because the subject is not being lit by a strong, big, direct key light. Some of them have brightly lit walls or backgrounds but since the wall or background is presumably not the subject, that doesn't make them high-key for me.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #7 · High Key....Not For Me?

Johnny B Goode wrote:
While I have no reason to back this up, I always assumed high-key stood for high key lighting. I.e. the key light is exposed to the verge of blowing it out. My model on the previous page had the key light coming from behind and I blew it out to expose for the models face. I don't agree that high key won't have any blacks, but then again that could just be in my head.

I did too. When people say 'high key' I always think of a strong key light pointed at the subject. I never thought it meant much to do with the background or the rest of the photo. But that is just me, it's really not my style to begin with. The closest thing I do to high key in my own photos is something like this (which isn't IMO). It's just 'very colorful'.

I've been at productions where they 'blast' the lights in people's faces (way too much power) and I don't really like that. It makes it hard to photograph, often having to pull in the highlights or such just to make a usable photo.

I don't think high key is a useless concept, I mean, some of the photos people posted do 'work' for me. It's just not the way I think or shoot. If I end up with a white background in the photo (like just this weekend) it's not really intended but just the way things were turning out and something that couldn't be 'fixed' easily.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:59 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.2 #8 · High Key....Not For Me?

danb121 wrote:
Are you both having a pop at me here... I take it that you are, the title states high key and the op doesn't say that high key lighting isn't allowed.

This is why I hate forums... every one is sooooo quick to have a pop at someone. Okay so the images that I posted aren't your ideas of high key; instead it's high key lighting... but isn't this my interpretation??

Jeeez. Calm down. Just making a point about definitions-- not about the quality of your work. And I don't think anyone said anyone else couldn't post something here.

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · High Key....Not For Me?

As with so many words that might seem to have once had specific and narrow meanings, the term "high key" seems to mean different things to different people. Most often when I've seen the term attached to photographs the images have favored (or perhaps included only) very light tones, and generally have few, if any, very dark or black tones.

I posted two photos earlier in the thread, and the first one perhaps corresponds to that idea. The second doesn't since it includes that dark area at the lower left and birds that are close to black.

Definitions are tricky things. We can get too wrapped up in absolutes, and this is a problem when dealing with something that is never going to be a this-or-that binary.

That said, from my point of view I would not regard all of the photographs posted in this thread as being what I think of when I use the term "high key." Some of them are bright, or even over exposed, but still...

Take care,

Dan

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.2 #10 · High Key....Not For Me?

Eyeball wrote:
That is generally the way I think about it. High-key means the key light is big, straight-on the subject, and strong. High-key images are generally studies in subtle differentiations in tone and those tones are generally on the light end of the spectrum, at least as far as the subject is concerned.

The only problem I find with that statement is that a "key light" coming from behind is arguably no longer a key light. It is a backlight. Of course in that particular image, the subject still has close to high-key lighting since there is light coming from the camera
...Show more

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. :-)

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:28 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · High Key....Not For Me?

And just today, a photo came up in the queue at my blog that is a rare (?) example of high key night photography. :-)

Intentionally over-exposed and highly modified in post.

Dan

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · High Key....Not For Me?

Dan, is that a self-portrait of your camera and tripod?

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · High Key....Not For Me?

Photon wrote:
Dan, is that a self-portrait of your camera and tripod?

It is, indeed! :-)

However, I am not in the frame, nor is my shadow - just that of the camera and tripod. I let it be this way, thinking about how some of my night photography friends might relate to that. There is a brief story at my blog with a bit more of the story.

Dan

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:52 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #14 · High Key....Not For Me?

Dan, really nice image, and a good read as well...carry on Sir

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM
M Halder

p.2 #15 · High Key....Not For Me?

This picture from a while back came to mind when I saw the topic...Don't usually process/shoot high key but I liked how this one turned out.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.2 #16 · High Key....Not For Me?

Jun 15, 2013 at 02:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password