New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

Fotodiox announced a line of LED Fresnel lights for film, television, and studio photography work. The compact DY-200 LED Fresnel lights offer focusable, dimmable light that remains cool-to-the-touch while providing powerful light.

Available in 5600 Daylight and 3200 Tungsten color temperatures, the DY-200 and DY-200w LED Fresnel lights feature accurate flicker-free light, low power draw, simple cool-to-the-touch operation, and remote controlled power and focus. A separate ballast unit and an adjustable yoke mounts on either a floor stand or hangs from a lighting grid for many mounting options.

“Until now, photographers and videographers often shoot under hot lights in order to get the powerful light they need, creating uncomfortable working conditions,” said Drew Strickland, vice president of Fotodiox. “LED lighting gives users a cool option that still emits powerful light and the DY-200 LED Fresnel lights provide even more control for professionals to get the exact effect wanted.”

The Fotodiox DY-200 LED Fresnel lights feature on-board controls which offer a full range of light levels, as well as control over the motorized focus to create a wide floodlight or a powerful spotlight. The light’s intensity and focus can be adjusted in one of three ways: ballast control box with an integrated LED display, a wireless remote, or by connecting it to any DMX-compatible lighting control system.

Other features include:
  • Daylight 5600 ± 300, Color Index Rating > 85
  • Tungsten 3200 ± 200, Color Index Rating > 85
  • 9,100 – 60,000 Lux/m Luminance
  • Dimmable: 0-100% Power Output
  • Focusable Beam Spread of 12 – 75 degrees
  • Removable collapsible Barndoor with Gel Holder Clips
  • U-Shape Light Stand and Hanging Bracket
  • Included fan is whisper silent and flicker free

The DY-200 and DY-200w Fresnel lights include either the Daylight or Tungsten light unit, power supply ballast with cables, DMX cables, handheld wireless remote control and safety cable wire.

The lights are available from Amazon for $1,199.95

DY-200 Daylight | DY-200w Tungsten

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:57 PM
corposant
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

Ummm... awesome?!

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

What they don't get is that even a CRI > 85 isn't that great because the spectral response is nothing like actual tungsten or daylight (since they are essentially blue LEDs with phosphors). In reality the only way to get a decent spectrum is to use multiple phosphors or to use RGBW LEDs.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:06 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

*cough*

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:43 AM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

Access wrote:
What they don't get is that even a CRI > 85 isn't that great because the spectral response is nothing like actual tungsten or daylight (since they are essentially blue LEDs with phosphors). In reality the only way to get a decent spectrum is to use multiple phosphors or to use RGBW LEDs.

True, but different sensors and lenses produce different colours. So even with a perfect black body radiator, colours aren't the same in every shot (when using a different lens). Colours even shift when stopping down with the same lens.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:07 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

For an example
see figure 4 on page 15 of this document:
http://www.bridgelux.com/assets/files/DS25%20Bridgelux%20RS%20Array%20Data%20Sheet%20DS25%20120311.pdf

This is a bipolar spectral response, the LED generates light that is tight in the blue spectrum, part of this is converted by the phospor which is a looser response centered around 550-625nm (depends on the intended color temperature). If only one type of phosphor is used, there is almost always a significant gap centered around 480-490nm, somewhere between the greens and blues that leads to 'wierd' skin tones and other unnatural colors that are not always easy to fix in post.

The only (current) way to fix the problem is to use multiple LEDs or to multiple phospors.

Jun 12, 2013 at 08:00 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

Arri has a pretty sweet LED light available for an equally sweet $2700. I checked one out at Samy's Hollywood and it's really quite impressive, and if I had an unlimited budget, I probably buy a few.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:16 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

Sorry but what is all the excitement about here?

Is it portable? is it more consistent in its color output?

what makes this special compared to what else is available?

I would love to know?

Henrik

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

least expensive high output fresnel constant *LED* lights I've seen so far.
The Arris look better, but they always do

Jun 16, 2013 at 06:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

U.C. wrote:
True, but different sensors and lenses produce different colours. So even with a perfect black body radiator, colours aren't the same in every shot (when using a different lens). Colours even shift when stopping down with the same lens.

True, but the differences between lenses from the same manufacturer and generation are far smaller and can be normalized pretty well with a standard card. Some artificial lights tend to produce metamerism, which is harder to deal with.

EBH

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fotodiox releases High-Intensity LED Fresnel Lights

EBH I have been there. Mostly what concerns me is skin tones, I'll likely do another trial in about two weeks.

I don't believe photography or video using single-phosphor is really advisable with what I have seen. At least not color photography. It would probably do okay for black and white. But in color if I add more than +1EV to the scene it throws the colors off. The effect is much more dramatic than what you get from things like lenses or different digital sensors.

tived, the advantages are efficiency and portability. LEDs are between 4-8x more efficient than tungsten lighting; the best designs are roughly 130-150 lumens per watt which is even 2x as efficient as flourescent lighting.

With the ones I use, a small laptop battery, roughly the size of my open hand, can power a LED light for about an hour. Though the ones I use are only 20-40 watts; in some ways more advanced but nowhere near the power of these.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:03 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.