Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anerino inspired: So what are you trying to accomplish at...

truehuss
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anerino inspired: So what are you trying to accomplish at an e-session?

Chuck brought up an interesting observation regarding e-sessions that had me thinking.
He said "'should the photos be reflective of the client?"

and so it got me thinking about e-sessions. What do you set out to accomplish? I understand where Chuck is coming from although I don't know if I agree because of the reasons below. I mean, how do you make an e-session reflective of the couple when you don't know them? I ask questions and I am a very outgoing personable dude, but other than the initial consultation when they book and an occasional email, I don't have contact with these guys.
We set up the e-session and what we've been doing is sending along a questionnaire but its hard because people tend to give , how can I say this, bullshhhh answers. For example " we're reserved, we just like to hang out, take walks, etc, things like that" . That was an actual answer.

I actually err on the side of people don't know what the hell they want. To me, the women want to look pretty and the guys (don't want to be there at all, but since they are) want to look cool. I try to find good light, something interesting about the composition and then do what I do.

Now I am a semi-newbie so I am just doing what I feel works for me right now. Maybe in the future I will look back and think I was an idiot but right now this is what I know.

So, what do you think? Are you also just trying to get interesting pictures or are you really trying to reflect a couples 'personality' at an e-session? And if so, how are you doing that?

NOTE: I know Chuck is a better photographer than I and I am not trying to 2nd guess the dude . I mean this as no disrespect whatsoever. I'm just trying to get to the root of it and understand better.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:43 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Anerino inspired: So what are you trying to accomplish at an e-session?

Photojournalists all try to have meaningful content in their photos, but the best ones also have great light and composition.

Portrait photographers all try to have great light and composition, but the best ones have meaningful content.

The above two statements are why (at least from my perspective) Chuck and I work together. We each value the strength of the other in our own work, even if it's not what our first instinct is.

Engagement photos (IMO) are one of the best ways to create meaningful content in portraits for people. It doesn't happen every time, but it's all about asking the right questions to get to the heart of who these people are and put them in a frame of mind where they appreciate the content.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:00 AM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #3 · Anerino inspired: So what are you trying to accomplish at an e-session?

For me, the e-session is 30% about the photos, but 70% about building the relationship, etc. Christine and I spend hours with the couple, talking, laughing, getting to know each other. We market it as a 'double day-date.' For us it's about inspiring trust, and letting them know we are good, honest, fun people who arrive on time, do a good job, and exceed expectations. In terms of the photos themselves, we try to arrange more adventurous ideas/locations with the couple, but often it's just about getting solid, consistent photos, not necessarily anything that would receive critical acclaim. We don't go out of our way to go extremely artistic with anything, we just want to establish that we can exceed expectations.

When we're shooting, and hanging out, it's also a great time to talk about their upcoming wedding, the venue, their details, etc. A lot of our raison d'etre for the e-sessions could probably be covered by a simple meeting, but we find the e-sessions to be so much more relaxed and fun, and our clients appreciate that vs. a standard meeting.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:02 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #4 · Anerino inspired: So what are you trying to accomplish at an e-session?

Well put Tony. Really well put.

I guess that's why I am in a constant struggle at this point in my career as I have yet to understand WHO I am. I definitely lean towards portrait photography although I am not where I want to be yet.

Thanks for putting that in perspective.

And Brian- That's what we do. Now we only do 2 hour sessions so sometimes I do feel a clock in my head telling me I need to get some 'cool' shots quickly. I also appreciate all my clients but to say that they all have great chemistry would be lying. I feel like e-sessions are about love so I will create emotion if there is none. Maybe that's wrong but its what I do.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #5 · Anerino inspired: So what are you trying to accomplish at an e-session?

Tony and Brian both said it well. I concur.

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Anerino inspired: So what are you trying to accomplish at an e-session?

Sometimes it is the girl who is excited about the wedding photos and the guy not so much.

An e session can completely turn that around when you approach them in the way Brian does.

When you can get such a guy to understand how much fun having photos can be and in turn get him excited for the wedding day photos the bride to be will think you are a photography god and she will tell all of her friends of the miracle that you have performed.

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:31 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Anerino inspired: So what are you trying to accomplish at an e-session?

Brian hit the nail on the head. Engagement sessions are a great way to get the couple extremely comfortable with the way you work and also being in front of the camera. We can always create better photos at a wedding when we know our couples and their families. If you just show up at a wedding and do not know anything about anyone it is going to be hard to decide what to put in your frame and what not to put in your frame besides the obvious stuff.

Evan Baines always talked to me about how we edit content when we frame a shot. By choosing to include or not include something in a photo can totally change the meaning of the photograph. By understand what is important and who is important to our couples we can include things in the frame that they will appreciate.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:33 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password