Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

fpimentel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

I ordered a D800 from Samy’s Camera (California) at the end of May 2012 and I got the camera in NY June 6, 2013. Early in June I did contact Nikon regarding a weird problem with the battery consumption (the battery charge does last about 2-3 hours and no more than 300 shots whatever comes first). This problem stated in April (in the middle of the bird migration) and I was too busy trying to shoot warblers and other migrant birds. I should have contact Nikon earlier but during the past weeks I could not log into my Nikon account since they were upgrading the site. According to Nikon, they sold the camera to Samy’s May 24, 2012 and that is (according to Nikon) the day the warranty started. By the contrary, I did claim that the warranty should have started the day I did receive the camera. I want to bring the D800 to Nikon in Long Island to be repaired but I don’t think I should pay for the repair since I contacted Nikon before June 6, 2013. My understanding has always been that the warranty starts when you get the camera or the lens not before but apparently that is not the policy of Nikon. I would like to know what has been the experience of other Nikon users with warranty issues.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM
kendalltristan

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

It's always been my understanding that for anything, camera equipment or otherwise, the warranty starts at the date of purchase. The buyer's decision to purchase it from a seller that will have to ship it is not the concern of the manufacturer. Honestly in your situation I wouldn't be too hopeful that they'll honor the warranty. If I were Nikon, I wouldn't.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:48 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

If the warranty starts the day the camera is sold to the dealer, it's entirely possible to buy a camera that is out of warranty the day the consumer buys it?

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:03 AM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

are you a NPS member? if you need to send in your camera, send it in with the receipt (when you purchased, original receipt or a copy), if you are only a month or so off, they usually do it for free.
just from what my experiences.

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

fpimentel wrote:
I ordered a D800 from Samy’s Camera (California) at the end of May 2012 and I got the camera in NY June 6, 2013.

Eh, I'm guessing you meant "May 2013", not "May 2012", right? I can't see any camera taking over a year to arrive...

Hope everything works out for you, in any case. If Nikon worms out of their warranty w/ the usual "Impact Damage" excuse, well Authorized Photo Service has a terrific reputation.

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:28 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

first of all was it May 2012 or 2013 when you ordered and then received the camera?
was this a new or refurb?

do you only have 1 battery or do you have more then one that does this?

read your warranty it says it all.

it is from date of purchase by the original consumer. purchase date is not date of order. it is the day your credit card shows you paid for it. yes the time from the shop to you is your time.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

The warranty absolutely does not start on the day it ships to the dealer.

The warranty starts on the day you purchase it, since the warranty is for you and not for Samy's.

edit: above post was edited after I started writing... yep, ^ that says it all!

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:13 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

If they warranty started on the day it shipped to the dealer, which is idiotic, then Nikon would have to ask everyone for the dealer invoice any time there was a repair. They would not be asking for your invoice.

Putting that aside, generally the warranty starts on the day you have taken delivery of the gear, not ship date. So it's important to keep a record of the UPS, FedEx or other delivery tracking history. If only for those odd, infrequent times where something actually happens in that 3-5 day window on the tail end.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fpimentel
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

Thanks for your interesting and good comments. In part I feel responsible since the problem with the battery (or batteries, since I have two) started in April and I should have contacted Nikon sooner and I did wait until the last minute to do so. When I tried to contact Nikon late in May (using my Nikon account) I was not able to log into my account since they were upgrading the site and when I did so it was already June. Truly, I was expecting some flexibility from Nikon (considering that I have spent about $30,000 in Nikon gear) but that has not been the case. On the other hand, the argument that I got from the Nikon technician regarding the starting date for the warranty (date the camera was purchased by the Nikon authorized dealer) is non-sense. Anyway, I live in NYC and the Nikon center is about 90 minutes away in Long Island. I plan to bring the camera to Nikon and see how much they would charge for a problem that is not the result of the usage but probably of some manufacturing defect (like the famous issue with the left-side poor focus).

Jun 12, 2013 at 07:40 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

State laws regarding warranties vary from state to state. Some go by "date of invoice" and others by "date of delivery", and still others by "date put into service".
Most manufacturers will give you a little leeway if you're within a few days of the warranty expiration. Knowing the laws in your state can also give you some leverage if necessary!

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

so what is it for PA?

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:14 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

Date of Delivery. PA also does not allow the exclusion of "implied Warranties" such as warranty of merchantability, that a product is fit for it's particlar purpose.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

excellent for those in PA

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:03 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

Something else to check is that many credit cards double the manufacturer's warranty up to an extra year. If you purchased it with a credit card, look into that card's benefits and policies.

I purchase everything using a credit card for that reason - the three cards I keep in regular rotation (for accumulating rewards) have this benefit.

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:46 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

runamuck wrote:
If the warranty starts the day the camera is sold to the dealer, it's entirely possible to buy a camera that is out of warranty the day the consumer buys it?

+1

Someone at Nikon is nutz - read your warranty card. From date of purchase is the litmus test. That's why they require proof of purchase for warranty work!

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:02 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon warranty question (when it starts?)

ckcarr wrote:
If they warranty started on the day it shipped to the dealer, which is idiotic, then Nikon would have to ask everyone for the dealer invoice any time there was a repair. They would not be asking for your invoice.

Putting that aside, generally the warranty starts on the day you have taken delivery of the gear, not ship date. So it's important to keep a record of the UPS, FedEx or other delivery tracking history. If only for those odd, infrequent times where something actually happens in that 3-5 day window on the tail end.

+1

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password