Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2013 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

pookipichu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

I would pay $8,000 for a D4X. If Canon puts something out comparable (high MP, pro body, improved DR) I'd pay the same. Until then, D800 and 1DSIII are just fine.

skibum5 wrote:
Might be a tricky sell though. 6fps vs 4fps at FF for $5500 extra (and with the minus of a huge body)? (compared to D800) well yeah also that it takes Canon glass, but I bet most would wait on a 5D4 but I guess if they wanted to gouge out those who must have it in Canon mount and not wait an extra year, but I bet they'd lose more sales overall than getting something more 5D4-ish out sooner.

I don't know that they can really go there. Maybe they call it a 2D or something and price it a
...Show more

Jun 15, 2013 at 01:34 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Sneakyracer wrote:
The biggest hurdle for Canon is not processing and throughput speed. It's sensor design.

They need to come up with a sensor with as much dynamic range as the Nikon or more and as good high iso performance while having at least as many pixels. That is the real challenge.

Speed is easy to come by, quality is not.

yes and nobody else is standing still:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/12/Fujifilm-and-panasonic-organic-CMOS-sensor-industry-leading-dynamic-range-and-sensitivity

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

skibum5 wrote:
yes and nobody else is standing still:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/12/Fujifilm-and-panasonic-organic-CMOS-sensor-industry-leading-dynamic-range-and-sensitivity

And how many great DSLR cameras do you see from Fuji and Panasonic every brand is developing a lot of stuff. But not much actually comes in production and make a new DSLR

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
And how many great DSLR cameras do you see from Fuji and Panasonic every brand is developing a lot of stuff. But not much actually comes in production and make a new DSLR

Yes, It seems a lot of people are patenting concepts but it's much more difficult it seems to make an actual product. I think they just want someone else to make it and they just want the royalties. But a lot of companies are having none of that.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Lasse Eriksson wrote:

They don't make DSLR's, they make mirrorless cameras, which last time I checked still needed an image sensor. I don't think we will wait too long to see this new sensor tech.

Edited on Jun 17, 2013 at 01:21 AM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

xrayvision wrote:
Canon lost me when the 1DX came out with their line that it was just what portrait, landscape, and sports photographers needed. Sports yes, everything else?, yes - unless you already have a 1DsMkIII and are saving rather than spending. It is better in some ways for sure, but not for my money. I need a bit more resolution and definitely not less. To add to the dumbness (in my opinion) Canon then introduced the 5DMkIII. The 1DsMkIII I'm using is 7 year old technology. Nikon's big MP pro body flagship is about as old. It will be interesting to
...Show more

Yeah, I think it's pure horse poo that the 1Dx is suppose to "replace" and "consolidate" the 1 series. It is just a new 1D, NOT a 1DS.

Canon just feeds us 1DS owners that and it just does not taste good.

The 1DS series always was the leader in combined resolution and speed plus build quality and ruggedness when introduced.

Right now the D800/E is that. Which is a shame since all the 1DX needs is a better sensor to destroy that fact.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Sneakyracer wrote:
Right now the D800/E is that. Which is a shame since all the 1DX needs is a better sensor to destroy that fact.

Surely you aren't equating D800 to the being the leader in build and speed as well? An and while the D800 is certainly the best sensor at lower ISO, at high ISO 1D X and probably D4 have no peers and are way ahead in build and speed.

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:25 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Surely you aren't equating D800 to the being the leader in build and speed as well? An and while the D800 is certainly the best sensor at lower ISO, at high ISO 1D X and probably D4 have no peers and are way ahead in build and speed.

+1.

The D800 is more like Nikon's take on what the 5D/5D2 series represented for a time before the 5D3-- highest possible resolution and IQ at the cost of speed and AF and ultimate ruggedness, at an incredible price. It's a special camera, with a certain niche in mind, that's affordable.

Camera makers have to think not just in terms of series hierarchy in a static sense-- but in a chronological release sense. And in different phases of technological advance/use. With the 5D2/D800, ultimate resolution and ultimate AF/speed started to decouple at the 35mm FF format size. It turns out that those pros who need super fast, super accurate AF don't usually need super high resolutions-- once the resolutions reached a certain level at the format size. Evidence of this is even greater when one considers medium format digital backs.

You buy a 1DX, ultimately, for sports or PJ work. You buy an IQ280 80MP back for high end commercial or fashion or portraiture or fine art work. This is a simplification-- but basically accurate. The same idea is at work in 35mm FF with the D800 (and now with the 1DX/5D3 split).

Yes, we'll see cameras like the 1DX get resolution jumps with each successive generation-- it's just not as pressing an issue as it once was 8 years ago.

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:19 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Pixel Perfect wrote:

To me the current 5D III doesn't fit well into the 5D series. The 5D III is more like a small brother to the 1Dx series with fast fps, and excellent AF. The D800E would be the perfect match for a successor of the 5D II regarding its specs. I am not saying that the 5D III by itself shouldn't exist, but I see it more suited in parallel to a camera similar to a Canon DSLR like the D800E. Pretty much choose your weapons if you either like high resolution and compromise in speed and super high ISO, or if you need the specs provided by the 5D III. I hope that Canon realized this, and that they are now coming up with something to fill the gap to compete with the D800E or - even better - with its successor!

Margeting wise I don't believe that we will only see a new high MP 1D series camera. The market currently is too much at the bottom still, the margin for such camera only would be too small. A new camera either in parallel or succeeding the current 5D III makes a lot more sense in this regard, or having the option of two new cameras between 1D series or 5D series.

Jun 17, 2013 at 08:38 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Yes, as a body, the D800 is not the greatest. But it has the highest resolution sensor in a DSLR without giving up high iso and long exposure performance. Image quality wise it's the leader. Thats what the 1DS series delivered.

So between highest resolution available from Canon and Nikon its a Body looking for a sensor or a sensor looking for a body...pick one.

Jun 17, 2013 at 08:59 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Lasse Eriksson wrote:

I now have some familiarity with Fuji. No worthy DSLRs at this point, nor high MP cameras in small formats. However, they are directing their quite interesting innovation in other directions - small, mirrorless cameras that are absolutely top notch for certain types of photography.

Also, FWIW, I feel like the 5D3 was created in a context of "21MP is enough" (and it usually is) and "everyone is asking for better AF and so forth" - in that context, the 5D3 delivered a pretty fine package of features for those buying a new full frame DSLR for many purposes. Now, for those who are especially focused on certain types of photography in which high MP might be of more value than, say, fast AF and super-solid build quality, the D800/D800e look like a really fine option, and many of us look forward to the time when Canon offers a higher MP camera of that sort.

Dan

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:49 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

justruss wrote:
5D3-- highest possible resolution and IQ at the cost of speed and AF and ultimate ruggedness, at an incredible price. It's a special camera, with a certain niche in mind, that's affordable.

Left AF issue aside, the D800's AF is equal in precision and accuracy to the 5DM3. I've compared them both side-by-side with their equivalent-system lenses. That said I would agree the 5DM3 is a better all-around body but for different reasons - mostly because of better LV, ergonomics, movie mode, and quiet shutter.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

A high mp camera is pretty inevitable, the real question is what Canon will think they can sell it for.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

retrofocus wrote:
To me the current 5D III doesn't fit well into the 5D series. The 5D III is more like a small brother to the 1Dx series with fast fps, and excellent AF. The D800E would be the perfect match for a successor of the 5D II regarding its specs. I am not saying that the 5D III by itself shouldn't exist, but I see it more suited in parallel to a camera similar to a Canon DSLR like the D800E. Pretty much choose your weapons if you either like high resolution and compromise in speed and super high ISO, or
...Show more

They will eventually have both a 5D series high MP as well as a 1D series, but who knows which one will come first. Once they have the sensor, they will eventually start using it, and variations of it, in several camera bodies.

In terms of marketing, I think Canon likely has a better handle on this than Nikon. Canon has managed to sell the same sensors for the past 4+ years without developing new technology. The vast majority are very happy with those sensors and cameras. The D800 and especially the D800E fill a niche market of people that are keen to spend quite a bit of money to have better specs and performance from a camera body. Those same people in Canon would buy a 5D and search for the improved performance by purchasing new high-end lenses.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Well I'm a Canon 1DSIII user with umpteen Canon lenses and I purchased a Nikon D800E with a 24mm 1.4 when it was first released. I must have been a lucky one from all the complaints about the D800 series as mine has been flawless. The Canon is my preferred camera ergonomically and will not be replaced until the +40MP Canons are released, but it is now regulated to shooting other than landscapes.
On my last trip to Yosemite I was talking to a couple of National Geographic
photographers who had run comparision tests of the D800E against the MF tech cameras and the M9s and they stated that if they had to replace their existing cameras they would choose the D800E. How big the professional landscape market is I don't know but there is a place for Canon to produce a +40/50 MP
1 or 2 FPS camera. I for one have been saving for it for over 6 years now and when it appears the D800E and the 1DSIII will be replaced if under $10,000.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Paul Gardner wrote:
Well I'm a Canon 1DSIII user with umpteen Canon lenses and I purchased a Nikon D800E with a 24mm 1.4 when it was first released. I must have been a lucky one from all the complaints about the D800 series as mine has been flawless. The Canon is my preferred camera ergonomically and will not be replaced until the +40MP Canons are released, but it is now regulated to shooting other than landscapes.
On my last trip to Yosemite I was talking to a couple of National Geographic
photographers who had run comparision tests of the D800E against the MF
...Show more

If I was doing landscape and couldn't afford the insane prices Hasseblad and Leica or Phase One ask, I'd get the Pentax 645D. It clearly outresolves the D800 and is under $10K and is very DSLR like for easy handling and has access to great glass.

I'd have been more than happy if the 5D III was even 27MP, but had better low ISO DR, and cleaner shadow noise.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:51 PM
BiggHarry
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
If I was doing landscape and couldn't afford the insane prices Hasseblad and Leica or Phase One ask, I'd get the Pentax 645D. It clearly outresolves the D800 and is under $10K and is very DSLR like for easy handling and has access to great glass.

I'd have been more than happy if the 5D III was even 27MP, but had better low ISO DR, and cleaner shadow noise.

+1
Absolutely agree.
But saying that I'm very happy with my 5D III as a work horse for the event photography and I would not swap for anything (unless I was given 1Dx )

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

BiggHarry wrote:
+1
Absolutely agree.
But saying that I'm very happy with my 5D III as a work horse for the event photography and I would not swap for anything (unless I was given 1Dx )

Indeed, really enjoying using my 5D III almost as much as a 1 series and it's IQ is still very good. I'm continually amazed at how high an ISO I can use for birding and get excellent IQ. Shots that I think are maybe ISO 800 and are in fact ISO 2000-4000. If I could push the shadows say even 1 more stop I'd have little too complain about other than I need more MP for birding.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:33 PM
BiggHarry
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Indeed, really enjoying using my 5D III almost as much as a 1 series and it's IQ is still very good. I'm continually amazed at how high an ISO I can use for birding and get excellent IQ. Shots that I think are maybe ISO 800 and are in fact ISO 2000-4000. If I could push the shadows say even 1 more stop I'd have little too complain about other than I need more MP for birding.

My birds are usually in wedding dresses

Recently I had opportunity to shoot with 800E for the first time.
If I was landscaper and did not have my investment in Canon lenses, it would be my weapon of choice. The results from 800E were stunning, however I’m happy to wait for Canon to eventually get a better sensor, as my day-to-day needs are very well covered with 5D III.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Rumor: New DSLR(s) with high MP sensors in sight?

BiggHarry wrote:
My birds are usually in wedding dresses

Recently I had opportunity to shoot with 800E for the first time.
If I was landscaper and did not have my investment in Canon lenses, it would be my weapon of choice. The results from 800E were stunning, however I’m happy to wait for Canon to eventually get a better sensor, as my day-to-day needs are very well covered with 5D III.

I wonder if Canon would consider a 5D IIIE?

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:57 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.