Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tokina 17-35mm

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina 17-35mm

UPS just dropped of the Tokina 17-35mm. Nice lens.
A lot more compact that I expected and not that heavy. Just tinkering around the house image quality is nice.

One concern though. When I go to take the lens off my Canon 6D, it hands at the base of the mount. Takes just a smidgen of wiggling for it to come loose but attaching the lens to the camera body is smooth.

Is this something of concern? Never experienced it with a lens.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:34 PM
DtEW

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina 17-35mm

Please let us know what you think, and if possible, share some samples. There is very little out there about this lens, which promises to be a little better than the EF 17-40mm f/4 USM. I've got one on order to come in at the end of this week.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina 17-35mm

Initial impressions....

Build quality is really good. Zoom is smooth, AF has a bit of zip to it and the minimum focus distance of 11" is fun. The lens reminds me of the Tokina 12-24mm that I had for my Canon 40D. Just maybe a smidgen lighter.

In looking at the lens mount, it almost feels as if the lens mount isn't matched up properly with the camera. Placing the lens on the camera is smooth and fit is snug. In removing the lens, when I rotate the lens to remove it (counter clockwise?) I have to rotate it just a smidgen in the opposite direction for the lens to come loose.

I didn't experience any issues with the contacts matching up between the body and lens.

Again, really haven't had time to test the image quality but here's a snapshot taken shortly after I unpacked the lens. I'm not sure what the black mark is in the bottom right corner of the image. It almost looks as if I didn't have the lens hood rotated fully.

UPDATE: The black spot is from the lens hood. The hood fits tight and you really have to twist it to get it to seat just right.

Light is fading in my neighborhood. Will try to get another test shot or two tomorrow.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina 17-35mm

Nice! Hope you enjoy your new lens.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina 17-35mm

Can you post something with higher resolution to check for LoCA etc.? Thanks!

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina 17-35mm

I bought the Tokina last year because I switched completely to Series 1 bodies, and mostly because I had such good lick with the Tokina 12-24 when I used crop bodies. I rarely shoot with it but when I do, it's great! AF is quick and smooth, and the lens is exceptionally sharp!

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:38 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tokina 17-35mm

Was able to swing by a local landmark this morning and snapped a few shots. The 17-35mm did lock up once and refused to focus. Switching from AF to Manual and back didn't correct things but taking the lens off and back on did.

This may have just been a quirck or related to the odd fit of the lens. There's no wiggle room when the lens is seated but I'm wondering if the contacts line up flush.

Image quality... please with it. I also snapped a quick shot from the front yard. You can also find the RAW image files for these three images .in this .zip file.

Or at least I hope the zip file is there

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:01 PM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tokina 17-35mm

Thanks for sharing. There is very little info available on this lens and any contribute is especially appreciated.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tokina 17-35mm

Thanks coppertop!

Can you show some straight lines near the edges to check the barrel distortion? It looks pretty strong, if those railings are straight in your yard shot.

Also, some 100% detail shots on center and edge would be good.

Thanks again for showing us.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:26 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tokina 17-35mm

and the full image can be found here.

Hope that's what you were looking for...

Jun 12, 2013 at 07:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tokina 17-35mm

Thanks for posting.

I was hoping to see more straight lines along the borders -- to judge the distortion.

Hard to tell the sharpness exactly -- seems okay, if not outstanding. Color fringing is about as expected.

For about $150 more, the Tokina 16-28 has a pretty good reputation, but that was over your initial budget.

I'd be curious if anyone can provide a comparison of the Tokina 17-35/4 and the Canon 17-40/4L (about $550, used)?

Jun 12, 2013 at 08:41 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tokina 17-35mm

It's a nice lens but I may have a bad copy. The AF locked up on me again. It's done it three times, each when focusing in on subjects at minimum distances.

When I first shot the 12-24mm it had a wow factor to it. Just not getting the same with this lens for some reason. Maybe it's the odd fit, AF locking up or something else that just isn't selling me on this lens.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tokina 17-35mm

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you should return it now, and see if you can stretch your budget to the 16-28 -- it's faster too -- f/2.8.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:06 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tokina 17-35mm

eh... I'm going to give it a day or two before I decide on things. I'll take it out over the weekend and go from there.

I would say the image quality is good (maybe a step behind the 17-40mm) but I just don't want the AF freezing and the odd dismount to be an issue down the road.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tokina 17-35mm

It seems like it is a major reliability issue right now.

I no longer delay and continue testing when I find a major functional fault. I either return it tot he seller, or send to Canon CPS for repair (a main reason I am inclined to buy Canon products). I have no interest in troubleshooting. I want to take pictures and convey the results.

But you know your needs best, so we'll be looking forward to reading your outcome.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:25 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tokina 17-35mm

Might as well test what you can before exchanging/returning it. How do the corners look?

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:06 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tokina 17-35mm

Love my 16-28

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:50 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tokina 17-35mm

ended up sending it back. AF kept freezing up on me. Can't complain about the image quality but if the AF isn't going to cooperate, it's gotta go.

Not sure where I'm gonna go from here. May take another chance with the 17-35mm and see if I can get a better copy or just save a little longer and get the Canon 17-40mm. But for now, the 24-105mm will do.

Jun 15, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tokina 17-35mm

The 17-40L is only about $550 used in great condition. Look around a bit.

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password