Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

Mark_L wrote:
I can't understand people moaning about not being able to swap out components when they decided to buy into apple which is well known for locking down everything.

There's a big difference between a closed ecosystem, and creating a business-targeted piece of hardware that is not serviceable.

The last generation Mac Pro was extremely serviceable.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

you all don't get Apple. it's not about maximized performance. its about the look, the touch, and the feel. its an exercise in in industrial design.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

and no, most are not ready for a D4x. the mob chose the D800 route.

Edited on Jun 12, 2013 at 02:29 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #4 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

sjms wrote:
you all don't get Apple. it's not about maximized performance. its about the look, the touch, and the feel. its an exercise in in industrial design.

Just because I think it's stupid, doesn't mean I don't get it.

Sales numbers will tell all. I understand what they did, but they did it at the sacrifice of one of the important considerations for business purchases - lifespan.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

lifespan has never been an issue with apple. look at ipod/iphone sales and the avg lifespan and as you can see it really hasn't hurt them so far. but slowly the consumer may be waking up to the realization that certain things are consumables.

i'll bet you know people that have multiple ipods/phones.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:16 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #6 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

I don't think it's an issue for consumer items. This isn't really targeted at your average Joe on the street, though - it's a business machine to the tune of several thousand dollars, and businesses (should) look a little closer at the long term viability of their purchases.

Some won't care, of course. But I know that the replacement workstations that I propose next year for our design engineers will not include anything that doesn't have a replaceable video card.

A design like the iMac is a great exercise in industrial design: it's sleek and basically non-serviceable, but the target audience is exactly the kind of audience that will value that form and see no downside on the function, since they wouldn't be opening it up anyway. I don't think this was the appropriate market for this exercise. Like I said, though, maybe I'm wrong and they'll sell a million.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:26 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.2 #7 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

sjms wrote:

Sounds a lot like Leica.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

binary visions wrote:
I don't think it's an issue for consumer items. This isn't really targeted at your average Joe on the street, though - it's a business machine to the tune of several thousand dollars, and businesses (should) look a little closer at the long term viability of their purchases.

Some won't care, of course. But I know that the replacement workstations that I propose next year for our design engineers will not include anything that doesn't have a replaceable video card.

A design like the iMac is a great exercise in industrial design: it's sleek and basically non-serviceable, but the target audience
...Show more

you'd think that wouldn't you. what about a $2000 laptop that the consumer can't replace the battery themselves. I see them all over the place and they don't care.

not a million but a lot more then one would truly think.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:40 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

Most people just want a computer that is easy to use and just works. They don't want to add a faster video card or add memory except at time of purchase, hence the extravagant charges for memory upgrades.

IMO, Apple will be making a mistake in only focusing on this segment of the buying public. I have a new MacBook Pro and don't like not having easy access to adding memory and/or a new battery. Price was never a big issue to me, however, I started with PC's in the very early 1980 with a Compaq Transportable and switched to Mac 8 yrs ago--I can just as easily go back to PCs.

Edited on Jun 12, 2013 at 08:19 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:10 PM
deang001
• • •
p.2 #10 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

binary visions wrote:
A design like the iMac is a great exercise in industrial design: it's sleek and basically non-serviceable, but the target audience is exactly the kind of audience that will value that form and see no downside on the function, since they wouldn't be opening it up anyway. I don't think this was the appropriate market for this exercise. Like I said, though, maybe I'm wrong and they'll sell a million.

You bring up a good point here. Will be interesting to see how the new Mac Pro is received by those businesses (designers, editors etc) who would usually use a Mac Pro.

The "normal" moderately heavy mac user like myself doesn't worry too much about upgradability and is pretty happy to forego expandability and choice in return for the increased stability of a closed system, but I'm not to sure the heavy duty Mac Pro audience will appreciate this.

RAM seems to be upgradable, and I don't think the onboard flash will be too much of an issue with external thunderbolt drives, but video cards will be an issue for many businesses for sure.

On the plus side though, thunderbolt will provide many external possibilities besides besides storage and maybe this is what will win this market over in the end.

Will be interesting to see the final product and how it's received.

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.2 #11 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

mguffin wrote:
What would you replace it with...? Dual AMD FireCore capable of running three 4K displays at once... what else is there...?

I agree. Also, as stated on WWDC, the AMD FireCore are standard/basic graphic chips. This means one can configure them to something better (whatever that maybe at the end of the year). Apple always do this so I'm certain some Nvidia chip will also be available as an option.
Just FYI, I have a 5 years old MacPro now with quite old and outdated card that isn't capable of running even a single 4K monitor. And, it's cranking up 36MP images quite well. I simply can't imagine two and much better/newer cards with total of 4GB of memory (I think this is the amount of memory I saw on Apple's website but maybe it was only for one card.) Anyway I'm sure I'll be happy with 12 core Xeon processor and SSD 4 times faster than when I have now, which is really fast and loads images 70MB or tiffs 200MB in a fraction of a second. I'm more concern about the internal high capacity disk storage like a disk array that my current MacPro is capable of hosting. Well, I guess we'll be getting thunderbolt 2 external disk array enclosures.
I'm cool with that.

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:25 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.2 #12 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

I'm not a fan of the design at all. It will almost guarantee that my workplace is switching to a Windows environment, and here's why.

For video editing, the Thunderbolt gimmick is not a solution for Network Attached storage when you're talking about 1080p/24 as your smallest format. We use ATTO Fiber channel cards to edit from our Facilis Terrablock (a 96TB monster-sized RAID array) on multiple workstations simultaneously. Can't do that over CAT5 or CAT6 cable... no way. Unless there are Fiber-to-Thunderbolt adapters, this tower is a non-starter for us.

Without the ability to take an optical fiber input, these new Mac "pro" towers are going to force us to look at other solutions (including Intel-based Windows workstations where we can "Hackintosh" them). Damn it Apple.

EDIT:
There are fiber-to-Thunderbolt solutions, but they're $1000 per workstation. Damn it still, Apple.

Jun 12, 2013 at 08:52 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #13 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

I also take exception to Dvorak's assertion that there is no leadership outside of Apple. Lenovo ThinkStations are quieter, cooler perform brilliantly on benchmarks and showed 24% better 3-year reliability vs. HP and Dell in a study by TBR.

The cases aren't much to look at, but that isn't the point. I talk to customers for a living, and I've never heard a workstation customer/CIO/user say they wish the case was more aesthetically pleasing...

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:44 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password