Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

Looks like an interesting design, and all SSD, for the new mac pro.

This mac fan is hoping it floods craigslist with older mac pros that owners are willing to bargain on ;-) I'm sure I could get a few years out of one of those before some new tech is too irresistible. Been holding off on the SSD and external storage upgrade path on my imac 27 - if so maybe I'll sell and go pro.

Kind of reminds me of their 'cube' design - What do you guys think of the new tech?

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:13 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

Ridiculous design. The people who are most inclined to not want to swap out components are casual users, who are going to be least inclined to buy an item like this.

Non-replaceable graphics cards? That would be a complete deal breaker for any serious system I bought or recommended that my company buy. Sure, you could use one of the Thunderbolt connectors, but you're getting 1/5th the bandwidth and having to buy a several-hundred-dollar enclosure to do it, not to mention dangling another box off your sleek new desktop.

Time will tell, but I think this is one of those situations where the industrial designers slipped this in while the actual engineers were asleep. To me, it seems patently absurd to have a business-class workstation that is mostly non-serviceable.

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

I've heard the TB2 would allow for current mid-range video card. I'm not sure it could handle high-end and what about future bandwidth hogging cards? But the enclosure is still $$$.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:18 PM
mguffin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

binary visions wrote:
Non-replaceable graphics cards? That would be a complete deal breaker for any serious system I bought or recommended that my company buy.

What would you replace it with...? Dual AMD FireCore capable of running three 4K displays at once... what else is there...?

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:38 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

Nothing, this week.

An expensive workstation, though, is not a short-term purchase, especially when it's expected to be on the high end of other workstations anyway.

First of all, it forces you into AMD which means that some professionals who rely on CUDA simply can't use this workstation, and second of all, what happens in 2 years when replacing the graphics cards would extend the life of the workstation? You're SOL.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:43 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

Do still image processing programs make extensive use of the graphics card? My barely informed impression was that high horsepower graphics cards were needed for gaming and mining bitcoins, while photoshop and the like used RAM, cpu, and hard drive.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:49 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

workerdrone wrote:
Do still image processing programs make extensive use of the graphics card? My barely informed impression was that high horsepower graphics cards were needed for gaming and mining bitcoins, while photoshop and the like used RAM, cpu, and hard drive.

Photoshop makes use of the GPU now The ultra high-end graphics are for 3D animation and rendering, they are horrible for gaming though.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:05 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

ACR/LR doesn't make use of GPUs for their basic raw processing pipeline, where it would have the greatest benefit. An ACR engineer on the Adobe forums is on record saying it would be a large project to recode their engine to use a GPU.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:19 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

I predict someone can make some $ by being first to market with a twin matching tower enclosure housing plenty of hard drive mounts, powered USB hub, and subwoofer in it, with some tiny satellite speakers to scatter around

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:23 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420272,00.asp

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

I'm loving how fast my Lenovo ThinkStation E31 is. Dual-Xeon, tons of memory and a blisteringly fast video card. I haven't looked up pricing for the new Mac yet, but I'm betting I'm a lot better off on that score, too...

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:56 AM
deang001
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

It will be super expensive, but I absolutely love the design. Reminds me a bit of my old cube !!

I think it's a great idea going for an all external storage design with some super fast flash memory built in. TB has yet to be taken up on mass, but pricing will come down. I have 2 x 6TB (4 drives in two enclosures) Lacie thunderbolt drives daisy chained off a retina MBP in a RAID 0 config and it's seriously fast. Maybe not the safest way of storing data, but it's all backed up

I loved Phil Schiller's "Can't innovate any more, my ass" comment !!

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:37 AM
phlegmon
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

CGrindahl wrote:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420272,00.asp

Wow. The author of that article sure is a fanboi.

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:11 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

phlegmon wrote:
Wow. The author of that article sure is a fanboi.

Actually he is not... for a long while John Dvorak has been very much a Microsoft fan. My sense is that he's been frustrated with what has been happening in the Windows world and is looking to Apple for a bit of inspiration. Beige boxes will only go so far...

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:36 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

workerdrone wrote:
I predict someone can make some $ by being first to market with a twin matching tower enclosure housing plenty of hard drive mounts, powered USB hub, and subwoofer in it, with some tiny satellite speakers to scatter around

That's good.
But for those who really just don't like the electronic ash can look, they'll also need to make an old-fashioned-looking tower that is in fact a hollow shell in which to place the new black can.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:46 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

Cook: Shit, the pro's are all going to Windows because our current Mac pro sucks and is way too expensive.
Random chinese worker: We have to get something different, something out of the box!
Cook: What do you have there under your desk?
Random chinese worker: Thats my garbage can.
Cook: Can we fit a motherboard in there?
Random Chinese worker: Sure...

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

playerofwar wrote:
Cook: Shit, the pro's are all going to Windows because our current Mac pro sucks and is way too expensive.
Random chinese worker: We have to get something different, something out of the box!
Cook: What do you have there under your desk?
Random chinese worker: Thats my garbage can.
Cook: Can we fit a motherboard in there?
Random Chinese worker: Sure...

Unfortunately, that scenario doesn't fit so well ... because the new Mac Pro is going to be assembled in the USA ... and the last I looked, Jony Ive (Apple's design guru) isn't a "Random Chinese worker" ...

For me, I really don't care what the new Mac Pro looks like or have concerns about form factor ... I want to see the benchmarks as to what it can actually do. How it performs in the process of an actual real world workflow ... until we see those results we really don't have much to go on.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

That PCMag article is ridiculous. Whether or not the guy has a history of being a fanboy, he sure sounds like one.

I mean, don't get me wrong here: it's a super interesting design to build around a heatsink like that and essentially create a giant wind tunnel with a turbine fan. It's interesting looking, no doubt - something I would definitely have sitting on my desk.

It's just that I can't imagine their target market is going to swallow that price tag while having those kind of restrictions on future growth and a forced-shorter lifecycle because of that. If I had to go into my boss' office and justify why I needed several thousand dollars for this workstation, I'd have a hard time with it. Unless Apple manages to significantly undercut the cost it would be to build this thing through another vendor - which is not their M.O. - what value does it deliver? The old Mac Pro was a beautiful piece of hardware, but it was also flexible and expandable and easy to work on. Businesses need long term value, not a pretty chassis.

I think they'll sell a fair number of these to home users with a few extra dollars to spend who don't care that it's over-powered for their needs. That's not the market they're aiming at, though.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

I can't understand people moaning about not being able to swap out components when they decided to buy into apple which is well known for locking down everything.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New mac pro - ok Nikon, we're ready for the D4x

Wonder how much they will get in movie and tv royalties just because it will be recognizable even without a logo showing? You know you'll start seeing it pop up soon.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password