Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

lilyphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

I live in Texas, where it's not unusual to have 6 months of 90+ degree temps for the daily high. Typically my brides in the summer months are smart and have at least an indoor reception because it's just soooo dang hot.

Next weekend we have an entirely outdoor wedding. We'll be outside for 7 hours straight. I can expect it to be in the upper to mid 90's until sunset around 8:30, where then it'll drop into the 80's which is completely tolerable.

I haven't acclimated to the heat yet this summer. I had an outdoor ceremony a couple weekends ago. We were outside for only an hour (it was 97 degrees) and I started to feel rather sick and it look me a good 30-45 minutes after returning inside to feel normal again.

Do any of you have tips to stay cool and functional during high heat shooting?

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:10 PM
aonavy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

frozen underwear works for me.

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:50 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

Camelbak. Fill almost full. Freeze. Better yet, take 2 and keep one in a cooler so you can change midway.

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:51 PM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

on a real tip, where button down shirt with out an undershirt. make sure its not see through.

maybe have a fan plugged in next your gear?

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:52 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

I drink g2. I find it keeps me well hydrated. Make sure you are well fed too. I find being hungry makes me more susceptible to heat. Crank the AC if you can travel anywhere by car. If you're a woman, try to keep your feet in sandals or something open. I find its much worse when my feet are hot! Keep a water bottle that makes a fine mist filled with a little bit of mint extract and mist the back of your neck, legs , face when you get the chance!

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:04 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

I find it helpful to shoot in the nude.

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:09 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

I've had heat stroke from outdoor weddings twice. Once you've passed out cold in the middle of a wedding, its not something you take lightly. In extremely hot periods, I advise the bride and groom that its not safe for us to be out in the heat prior to the ceremony. I've seen bridesmaids pass out. So before the ceremony, everything will be shot inside. It's even more unsafe to be going in and out... To have people rushing inside to cool air between photos, because it makes things even worse. Extreme heat is as much a weather and safety concern as thunderstorms or snow. You wouldn't have people outside in lightning, heat isn't really an exception.

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:40 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

Up here in MN we get wicked hot and humid summers as well.

My solution is to wear under-armor underwear, an underarmor undershirt, and nice wicking smartwool socks, and HYDRATE.

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:06 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

Lose as much weight as possible prior to hot wedding season.

- trr

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:13 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

TRReichman wrote:
Lose as much weight as possible prior to hot wedding season.

- trr

Hah, I only weigh 115 pounds as is! :-)

Candice, I hope to never have heat stroke... yikes. I agree it can be a dangerous situation. Why this bride chose (knowing how hot it would most likely be) to have an all outdoor wedding is beyond me. I'm guessing it's because they have a very large guest count and couldn't fit everyone indoors.

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

fotojennik wrote:
I find it helpful to shoot in the nude.

shoot nude temps came to Missouri too...

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

While not a wedding, we spent about 1 month in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore on a portrait photography tour. It was our first time embarking on such a project. You can see more here:
Connections 2013 - Asia

The general temperature was about 35C. But the humidity was insane! It felt like 42C! The shoots were about 1-1.5hr long. I couldn't believe how much I sweat in the first 15minutes. I move a lot. Maybe that's my problem.

Hydrate ahead. Hydrate in the middle (short break). Hydrate again after the shoots. Sometimes in the heat of the moment, I tend to forget and end up paying for it towards the end. Anti-perspiration sport sticks helped too.
If you wear glasses, try to swap out to contact lenses. Because your glasses might get fogged up.
I also advised our clients to bring along those cosmetic facial powder to dab once in a while to avoid that glistening shiny look.

Condensation on the lens was a concern as some shoots interleave b/t indoors and outdoors. Nothing much we could do about it but to walk and chat for a bit before starting the session. But that means more exposure to the hot muggy weather. While in an A/C car, I put my gear as far away from the A/C units as possible to minimize the condensation effect. I suppose the trunk would be good.

The saving grace was unlike weddings, I got to wear shorts and sandals.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:45 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

The only advice I have is to seriously hydrate yourself BEFORE the day of the wedding. And on the day, of course. Sun cream

How do you cope with lighting like this? Are you completely out in the open?

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:54 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

Hydrate. If the caterer has flavored delicious pineapple'y agua fresca near the ceremony site, that's the best.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:22 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

Wear a hat before and after the ceremony if you need to work under the sun.

In Bay area, it is usually not that hot, but the sun light is very strong. In a hot outdoor wedding, a hat can provide some shade. Other than that, drink lots of water.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

take 2 changes of clothing. wear casual dress before the ceremony that is more breathable and let your client know that you plan to change before the ceremony starts. That way you can wear cooler clothing, still be professional, change halfway through the day, and look presentable. Most clients dont care if you are more causal for the getting ready portion.

If youre afraid its going to be blazing hot, take a lunch cooler, fill it with ice and some washrags. As needed, wring out the wash rags and put them on your neck to cool

Also take bottled water and plenty of deodorant.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM
mrcronkite

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

Hydrate the day before the wedding. If you try to do it the day of, you will be behind the curve. Also don't forget about electrolytes. Propel Zero is good.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

I have usually have a couple of sports drinks in the car, avoid drinking coffee on wedding day and have an extra shirt in the car to be fresh for reception when I need to be rubbing elbows with guests on the dance floor.

Edited on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

Run a lot. Seriously... 90F+ days are nothing if you do. You get used to it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Summer weddings, keeping cool

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Staying hydrated is something I am admittedly horrible about. I often don't have anything to drink the day of besides coffee in the morning and water at dinner. Bad, I know. I'll make sure to drink a lot starting the day before.

Nikon, you're right...you do get used to it. By the end of the summer it doesn't bother me anymore. I've always said that if I didn't sweat, the heat wouldn't be a big deal. We've had an unusually cool spring, so I just simply haven't gotten used to the heat yet.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password