Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 85mm PC-E

james.d53
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 85mm PC-E

I am salivating over the arrival of an 85mm Micro PC-E D on Wednesday. I'm a budding food photographer and can't wait to take my images to the next level.

Anyone with experience with this lens that wishes to talk about it would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:42 AM
Chris Court
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 85mm PC-E

I do a lot of food photography and have an 85mm PC (not PC-e), and while on paper the tilt shift should be the ideal lens for this kind of work, I find that in practice its fairly fiddly and time consuming to use. Instead, I usually end up using the 60mm macro (60%) and 24-70 (40%) almost exclusively.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, and of course everyone has different priorities and techniques, so I hope your new lens works out well for you. I'm keen to see some examples!

C

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Robin Casady
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 85mm PC-E

I also have the 85mm PC, rather than the PC-E. The main difference is the aperture is manual on the PC. So, that makes the PC-E somewhat less fiddley. I found the 85mm PC difficult to use on a DX camera (Nikon D2x), but easier to use on FX (D700 and D800E).

I've recently acquired a CamRanger and iPad mini. Using Live View on the iPad has made macro focusing much easier. I expect it will make setting tilt on the PC easier as well, but haven't given it a workout yet.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM
dalegaspi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 85mm PC-E

james.d53 wrote:
I am salivating over the arrival of an 85mm Micro PC-E D on Wednesday. I'm a budding food photographer and can't wait to take my images to the next level.

Anyone with experience with this lens that wishes to talk about it would be greatly appreciated.

I rented an 85PC-E a long time ago...big mistake...i thought i'd be frustrated with it...but when i learned how to use it by day 3...i didn't want to return it!

DOF control without having to mess with the aperture is da bomb. it's what you pay for this lens. it is also very sharp and has very little CA across the board.

I will own this lens one day.

DSC_6839 by dalegaspi, on Flickr

Pentax Screw-Mount Lenses by dalegaspi, on Flickr

Pentax Screw-Mount Lenses by dalegaspi, on Flickr

and here is the cliche TS lens shot...something that is achieved (and abused) rather easily with instagram:

DSC_6966 by dalegaspi, on Flickr

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Yamil R. Sued
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 85mm PC-E

This is my Number one lens in the studio. I do Still Life for A Magazine in Japan. This lens allows me to take most of the Advantages of a View Camera without the Expense of the camera and lenses.

I can change the plane of focus with ease and I don't need to shoot at obscene Apertures to carry focus, this is the beauty of the Scheimpflug principle!!

Here is an quick example of what this lens can do

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password