Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · Too much to carry.

Glenn NK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Too much to carry.

David Baldwin wrote:
Sorry to be slow on the uptake, but the baby buggy is a joke right?

I know an older guy here that uses one - and sometimes a shopping cart from a grocery store. He's carrying a couple of Nikons and four lenses. Covers the stuff up with an old pair of pants.

He says that people then assume he's a street guy and don't think he has anything valuable with him.

Glenn

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Access
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Too much to carry.

I do the dirty diaper bag thing, but I've never gone as far to use an actual baby carriage or anything like that. Though I have seen others do that irl; it's not exactly the norm but its not unheard of.

The shopping cart it pretty creative but one also has to look the role for it be authentic.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Too much to carry.

I did the assignment today that I'd mentioned earlier in the thread.

First, let me say that it was not really what I thought it would be. I was told: solar panels on the roof a a parking structure, with charging station and electric vehicle in the foreground.

Technically, that was a correct description. But I'll bet when you see the photo, it won't match with what those terms call to mind!

Based on the little I knew (or inferred), I packed my largest Lowepro Commercial AW DV bag (set up as photo bag, not digital video). I packed 15 FE (for the shot that never came close to materializing!), 50L (for another optional long shot with limited DOF that never materialized), the 16-35L II and the 24-105L IS. I used only the two zooms rotating them between the 5D2 and 1Ds3. I also brought two flash units, off camera flash cord, B+W KSM CPL 77mm and 82mm (both used on the zooms for all the building shots).

In other words, the large bag was full. The site had not be surveyed (which I like to do if there is a budget for it), so it was a seat-of-the-pants crap-shoot. I found a location on an adjacent two story high building, plus we located a scissors lift for a second angle.

Yes, the flash was used, for an impromptu head shot (doesn't that always happen?). Literally, I'm asked while walking to a shady spot to review the shots with client. Jeez! God bless 'em, or I'd starve (more)!

Not glamorous in the least (shot for trade show booth large display print), and the only real things we had going for us was sunny weather and good contact people on site. The two zooms were perfect, and I could have completed the assignment with either one (24-35 were the most valuable shots). But if I have to pick, the 24-105L with the 5D2 came through with flying colors, and would have been easier to lug to the top of building or scissors lift instead of the partially unloaded huge bag.

I hate to keep repeating myself all over the forum, but I could have gotten this done with the 28-300L IS with just as good or better results. But the 16-35 made me feel really comfortable to have.

Hope this real life expedition helps clarify the bag needs and how to prep for unknown circumstances.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    32mm    f/10.0    1/100s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    65mm    f/10.0    1/80s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    28mm    f/10.0    1/160s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    70mm    f/10.0    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    105mm    f/5.0    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 15, 2013 at 03:06 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Too much to carry.

Tapeman wrote:
Up till now I have tried to carry all of my gear(s) where ever I go.

I have this issue too. Gets difficult when I need to use a toilet.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Too much to carry.

Tapeman wrote:
I don' understand why people think they can't have fun if they bring a camera.

You could but not while bringing all your possible gear into zoo.... I don't shot in zoo anyway, even in good one animals are looking not the same as in wild.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Harold St
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Too much to carry.

Another photography tradeoff decision to make. In my case, the desire to be more portable and the quality of the new Canon zooms has influenced me to reduce the number of primes I own. I was finding that the lens I most wanted to have with me was always the one that I left at home. By moving a little further in the zoom direction I feel I have coverage of the things I want to shoot with the zooms and my remaining prime lenses are purpose specific (ie macro/portrait/etc) so with the new setup I typically limit what I carry to 1 or 2 zooms and a prime.

Jun 15, 2013 at 01:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael White
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Too much to carry.

If there any amount of walking now days ill be using an electric scooter ans strapping my gear on it. Ill use a backpack and my Think Tank modular belt kit then attach the mono or tripod to the cart. Even my one ton crew cab truck would have problem carring everything I have. I've got a pelican 1660,1650 & 1550 and they're packed full plus a Tenba feint case for my 16" beauty dish and a nal Pakistan for part of my light stands and bg stands the rest of my stands and modifiers fill up a SKB Golf bag with stuff left out I also have two holster kits for the cameras and a think tank 360 rotation for assecceries I've got a LowePro Road runner AW bag for sale I have a pelican for my laptop also. It was a good winter trolling the for sale boards here the SKB came off of Craig's list. I need another 1650 or 1660 room pending

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Too much to carry.

Might grab one of those baby carts for behing bikes and make a cargo trailer out of it to carry my gear. I bought a real nice bag for my Harley right before I wrecked it. I still have it ill work something out to use it on my scooter somehow.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:21 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Too much to carry.

I personally take almost all (no studio lighting) of my camera equipment with me in my car at all times - even to work. I love having everything available if I happen to see something worth capturing at any moment during my week. Often when I have excursions with friends, I won't hesitate to pack a messenger bag with three lenses and a flash for a casual outing.

I just got back yesterday from a fantastic vacation in Banff, in which I took all my equipment with me to select from for each day. I hiked pretty much everyday in the mountains, and packed a backpack with 5-6 lenses which varied depending on the subject matter, plus a flash, 1.4x TC, tripod, and CPL, ND, GND filters. I hiked for seven straight days, swapping out lenses back at the rental car when needed. I shoot mostly primes, though my largest lens is my 70-200 IS II, which isn't nearly the bulk that the 500 II is.

I know many balk at the idea of carrying that many lenses for travel, but I didn't find the weight to be painful or cumbersome (my backpack is very comfortable/secure, even with 30+ lbs), and I honestly appreciated having all my equipment with me. I am still young and a daredevil, so I suppose that might have something to do with it. I've mentioned this before, too, but using primes just makes me a more responsible shooter with regards to perspective.

Before my trip I considered renting a 24-70 II as I had when I went to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole in January, but as I was not limited to what I can carry while skiing aggressively, I nixed that idea in favor of having all the best primes with me. If I were to do the trip over, would I change that? No. But next time I'll probably bring a 300 or 500 lens with me, which may necessitate the 24-70 in lieu of 2-4 primes that normally occupy my bag.

I'd say if having too many lenses is detracting from your enjoyment, maybe it's time to cutback. If not, go nuts. Like me.

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:34 PM
volyrat
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Too much to carry.

I don't get paid for the photos that I shoot, so take this with that in mind. The only body I own is a 60d.

If I'm on vacation, I bring my Burton zoompack to carry an 8-16, 17-55 EF-S, 85 1.8, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 300 f/4 IS and a 1.4 tc. Plus batteries, chargers, flash, the GoPro and all other accessories. Then I have 2 lowepro systems - an AW 75 and an Off Trail.

If I'm going to my kids soccer games, I'll take the 300, 70-200 and TC in the top loader.

If we are going somewhere with landscapes (beach or mountains), its the 8-16, 17-55, and 24-105. They go in the off trail.

If we are going skiing, I'll ski with the Burton, 70-200, 17-55 and 8-16.

Horses for courses - I try to match the gear to what I expect to shoot.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:20 AM
joezasada
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Too much to carry.

I ended up selling all my canon gear and going micro 4/3.
I can carry everything with me - and have no concerns with size / weight.

Crazy, eh?

Jun 18, 2013 at 09:57 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Too much to carry.

So far I have not been able to lighten the load much but now at a nearby state park I'm going with just one body, two lenses and extenders. (On my bicycle.)

When traveling I am still bringing the mother load.

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:51 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password