Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Too much to carry.

Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Too much to carry.

Up till now I have tried to carry all of my gear(s) where ever I go.
Now I am rethinking that, mostly because it is too heavy and I have not been willing to think ahead to what I am likely to be shooting.

So, at this point I'm thinking of a "long Bag" with my 1D4 and 500 mm f/4 L IS II and my 70-200 f/2.8L II along with my 1.4 & 2X converters, and a "short bag" with my 5D2 and 16-35 mm f/2.8L L II and 24-105 mm F/4.

I keep a tripod, monopod, bean bag, and window mount in my vehicle.

I have recently been to the Como Zoo (St. Paul, MN.) and realized that I was carrying way to much gear.

I guess I'll have to deal with not always having my best available gear(s) with me.

How do you set up for day trips or keep with you most of the time?

Traveling for photography, I'll still bring all I can carry.

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Too much to carry.

Tapeman wrote:
Traveling for photography, I'll still bring all I can carry.

You should buy more gear... Just kidding*.

Challenge: use only one camera and one lens for a week.

* not really - once you get more gear than you and a sherpa can handle, then you can decide how to go with less, which is more.

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:46 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Too much to carry.

I carry only one camera-lens setup practically always.
In addition, there are usually the following accessories in my bag: 1.4xTC, sometimes 2xTC as well, and a spare battery.
That is it.

A monopod I take with me depending on the lens weight and anticipated shoot type and duration.
When shooting with 500 II, as an example, pods are normally not needed and not lugged around wastefully.

If I am doing an exploratory excursion, and I do not know what to expect, then I usually have 100-400 in my bag and nothing else.

If some opportunities are missed, so be it....there is always another day. Photography is a hobby for me, and not a paid assignment. However, missed opportunities do not happen often because I have a pretty good idea what is that I can expect in the places I frequent.

I can not stop marveling at many other photographers who carry camping size backpacks.....for the life of me I just can not figure it out what is that they have in them ?

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Too much to carry.

PetKal wrote:
.....for the life of me I just can not figure it out what is that they have in them ?

Film, tons of film!

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Too much to carry.

I have some trouble choosing what to take, even for assignments. It can be a bit daunting when there are too many choices. But once I commit, I make it work. Naturally, I bring appropriate gear, and have yet to be unable to do a job or have a jaunt compromised.

Before going, I try to have a plan of what I'm intending to shoot, so that keeps things controllable.

I've got a shoot coming up, and all I've been told is: a solar panel array on top of a parking structure, with a vehicle being charged, with the noonday sun in the picture (! ?) -- and I've never seen the location! Ha-ha! Good luck, and a prayer might be handy. It might be a disaster, stay tuned. I'll probably take 15 FE, 16-35LII, 24-105L, a couple primes like 24 TS-E/50 Macro, maybe the 28-300L. A 580EX II flash with cord (just in case) and the big Manfrotto 3051 tripod. That's more than I'd usually take, but I'll have the car nearby at all times.

Arrrrrgg!

It's really is a matter of knowing what limitations I can accept and take the minimum gear to accomplish that.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Too much to carry.

PetKal wrote:
I carry only one camera-lens setup practically always.

Me too. Well, no. I''m lyin'. I usually have more, but need less.

[off topic: Miss you, SRV.]

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:25 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Too much to carry.

Depending on the how I feel on any particular day, I pack and load a large and a small camera bag, and usually never dive into them when I'm out shooting, mostly leave them locked securely in my truck.

I carry three cameras, a 6D, 1DsII and a 1DIII and attached to them are a 24-105L IS, a 70-200 2.8L IS and a 100-400L IS.

I take a couple of primes, a 17-40L and a 28-135mm, spare batteries for each cam, a couple of flashes and flash attachments, ND and circular polarizer filters, spare memory cards, lens cleaning cloths, a mono-pod and a couple of tripods.

Then I pack a kitchen sink into a bag, and I'm done.

Sometimes I just take one fully loaded camera but not very often.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:36 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Too much to carry.

get a gura gear Bataflae 26L, and you'll be able to carry pretty much everything you listed.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Too much to carry.

It's all about being comfortable and having fun for me. Otherwise I'd rather stay home. So, no cowboy boots or skinny jeans and one camera and one lens: 5D2/24-105L, 220EX and Gitzo Traveler. On rare trips I might need the 17-40L and/or 70-200 4L, but most of the time I find everything I need from 24mm to 105. Back in the day I used to carry 2 cameras and 3 or 4 lenses but it makes traveling a PITA.

When I'm just walking around with no photographic goals I go even lighter, GX1 or E-P3 with single fast prime for whimsical images while wandering, shopping, bar hopping, etc.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:48 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Too much to carry.

I used to carry two cameras, and most of my lenses but soon found out that I never used any of them except the one attached to the camera. Unless i am on a hike, I am a one camera, one lens and spare card/battery kind if guy!

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Too much to carry.

big country wrote:
get a gura gear Bataflae 26L, and you'll be able to carry pretty much everything you listed.

+1
And when you don't need to have everything along, just remove some items. The bag itself is light enough that there's no big penalty in using it for a "half load".

(When all I want is a body with one lens, I don't use a bag at all, and most often not even a strap.)

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:50 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #12 · Too much to carry.

I have too much gear to carry everything all the time, and I don't own anything as big as a 500mm (400 5.6 is my longest)
- much better to carry one body and 2 lenses, 3 at the most, and a flash (580ex), and take something different next time.

I find the 24-105 on full frame is a very good one-lens-does-everything solution

I always like to have a wide option available - with your kit, I'd be inclined to carry the 24-105 along with the 500mm and TC - that would cover most situations, and offers much more variety to the 'look' of your photos than carrying 70-200 and 500mm

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:59 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Too much to carry.

I like my 24-70L II, the 16-35II and the 135L and of that I could get by with the wide zoom and the 135 or the mid zoom and the 135 with the 1.4 or 2xtc as the 135L holds up great with the TC.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:04 AM
mikedec
• • •
p.1 #14 · Too much to carry.

Do you feel comfortable leaving some of the gear in the trunk. The parking lot there isn't too far away. Pick the lens/body that you want to concentrate on and carry that around.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Too much to carry.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:09 AM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #16 · Too much to carry.

I picked up a used, large-wheeled baby buggy at a garage sale. Very handy at zoos and parks. Keep my equipment covered with a blanket, which protects from prying eyes and rain.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:16 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #17 · Too much to carry.

This is a really personal choice. For me I'm a one lens guy maybe 90% of the time. The rest I rarely find myself needing more than 2

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #18 · Too much to carry.

I have thought about a baby buggy for some outings, seems like a good idea.

I guess I'll have to plan to take less with me most of the time. To start with, I'm going to bring only one body. Ever since, when on a vacation, I dropped a body/lens and lost autofocus I have felt compelled to carry two bodies.

I visit a lot of state parks and often hope to see some wildlife and scenery, so one lens often isn't enough.

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:17 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #19 · Too much to carry.

If I am on a day trip with my husband and have no plans for a particular thing I will be shooting, and don't really even know I will be shooting anything, I carry my 5DIII or 7D with the 70 300L attached and the 40mm pancake along with the 270 EX. All in a bag that doubles as a purse as well. So one bag that looks like a big purse. This changes if I expect to be shooting something where different gear would be better or anticipate seeing wildlife. I go as light as possible, always.

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:56 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Too much to carry.

Sorry to be slow on the uptake, but the baby buggy is a joke right?

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password