Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

DGC1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

D200 will allow use of non-AF-S lenses, some of which can be had at incredibly low prices for what you are getting. Lots of AF-D lenses going for excellent prices everyday on the B&S forum.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:43 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

How old is he and what is driving his interest in photography?

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:08 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.2 #3 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

D3100 or any model with "Scene" modes.

I'd rather have someone have fun and then learn. Then be frustrated and not want to learn. When I was getting back into photography I worked the D70 Scene mode really well. After just pounding it out I learned how each "Scene" worked to my advantage.

Only until I went to the D300 was I forced to drop the crutch.

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:49 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

I'd take a D90 over a D3100 if there is real interest in photography. A great camera that rewards good glass, has "prosumer" handling, build far superior to the D3100 and better in every important way that counts for still photography.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D3100-vs-Nikon_D90

The price for a nice used D300 has dropped to an incredibly-low level, too.

Jun 14, 2013 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

mwalker973 wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses everyone

I'm still a little torn. I don't know how serious he's going to be with it, and I think he would probably use the video on the 3100,

I have a 16 yr.old, and he loves video. He posts to YouTube to show his friends. I think I'd go with a D3100 for that reason.

Kent in SD

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:08 PM
jbouchard
• •
p.2 #6 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

I let my 9 year old niece run around the house with my D200 one day... P mode, auto-ISO, and it's pretty point and shoot, and she took a lot of shots of the dogs and cats laying around the house, with surprisingly good results. But imagine she went to the dog park where animals are running fast, or a little league game, there are a lot of settings to change to do it right... AF-C on the side, AF pattern on the back, min shutter speed. Yes, the switches are easier than digging through menu's, but either would be over her head. If you don't make those changes you end up with a lot of blurry photos. That is frustrating to a kid, and more likely to lose interest. Turning the dial to "sports icon" is probably doable, which ensures greater success.

My wife has a D3200 (similar to the D3000 I suspect) and she does well with it. She used to shoot 35mm SLR 20 years ago, and understands aperture and shutter speed, but prefers not to deal with them. I'm a geek, I like to fiddle with settings and I can't stand the menu, but she's not a geek, and she doesn't want to fiddle with settings. Normally her camera lives in AUTO, when she goes to the playground or dog park she changes it to "sports icon". Indoor shots at a kid's birthday party probably come out better than I can do with the D200... the engineers put a lot of time into those auto modes. My wife likes the D3200. If I gave her the D200 to use, she wouldn't want to deal with it, she would leave it home and grab the crappy old Kodak P&S.

So while I like the D200 for myself (the buttons make so much more sense to me), I have to respect that other people don't want to deal with that, and what's best for anyone is a camera which "doesn't get in the way" and allows greater success. I think you may be in a similar situation.

Jun 14, 2013 at 05:26 PM
mwalker973
• •
p.2 #7 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

Ended up getting a good deal on a used D5100. Cheaper than I was planning on getting the 3100 for. Like most of you said, I think once he has something in his hands, he'll get more into it. Thanks for all the great input!

Mike

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:50 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #8 · Starter Camera: D200 or D3100

I've had both cameras and would choose the D200.
Only problem I see is that it will spoil him.

There are a lot more of better camera bodies between the D3100 and the D300
than there is between the D200 and D300.

The main differences in the D200, D300, D700, and D800 are the Sensors and Processors.

Jun 18, 2013 at 03:34 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password