Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

New ball head avice

me.awesome

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · New ball head avice

crap, the bh-40 will hit the plate on my gitzo. Ill probably have to get the smaller clamp. I dont think i should have any issues.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · New ball head avice

If you're buying the RRS screw clamp just about any plate will fit. If you get the lever clamp with the head, you probably should stick with RRS plates as the clamp won't tighten all the way with most other manufacturer's plates. I think the RRS lever clamp needs a 39.5mm dovetail whereas most are 38.5mm.

Jun 12, 2013 at 04:58 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · New ball head avice

me.awesome wrote:
crap, the bh-40 will hit the plate on my gitzo. Ill probably have to get the smaller clamp. I dont think i should have any issues.

Do you mean the larger clamp will interfere with the platform at the top of the tripod's column? If so, there are 2 possible solutions. 1) L-bracket on your camera body 2) smaller platform on the column, i.e. from a series-1. I've actually opted for both.

Here's are a few pics of my series-2 Gitzo with a series-1 platform on the column (and obviously, my BH-40 with the large clamp):

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:22 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · New ball head avice

Gochugogi wrote:
If you're buying the RRS screw clamp just about any plate will fit. If you get the lever clamp with the head, you probably should stick with RRS plates as the clamp won't tighten all the way with most other manufacturer's plates. I think the RRS lever clamp needs a 39.5mm dovetail whereas most are 38.5mm.

I've got 3 RRS lever clamps (the newest is maybe 3 years old), with plates from RRS, Kirk, and Hejnar. No problems with any of them clamping securely, although I did try a Markins lens plate which was too loose to clamp.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · New ball head avice

dcains wrote:
I've got 3 RRS lever clamps (the newest is maybe 3 years old), with plates from RRS, Kirk, and Hejnar. No problems with any of them clamping securely, although I did try a Markins lens plate which was too loose to clamp.

Those are among the handful of manufacturers that will clamp tight. The Camadapter Arca Plus (but not the Arca Neoprene) and Wimberley will also clamp, but most others are slightly too small. All the Chinese plates I tried, including Sunwayfoto, are loose as a goose.

Jun 12, 2013 at 07:16 AM
Jason_Brook
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · New ball head avice

me.awesome wrote:
Screw it, im gonna get a RRS BH-40. The sunwayfoto looks nice, but I trust a name like RRS more. I can just use the amazon money to get plates. Any recommended plates? I was looking at some L-plates for my gripped D800 but i was wondering if there is one that has a screw that I can hook my rapid strap into?

My Kirk has a 1/4-20 threaded hole on the bottom for straps.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:37 PM
acktdi

p.2 #7 · New ball head avice

I have an Acratech Ultimate ballhead, I like the open design. I was looking for another ballhead and came across this Vanguard model which is similar in concept
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076MHH88/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reviews are pretty good for it. I have should have one in my hands by tomorrow.

Jun 12, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · New ball head avice

Almost all my dedicated and non-dedicated QR plates/L-brackets have a 1/4" threaded hole for attaching accessories or mounting on non-arca heads: Sunwayfoto, Kirk, RRS, Camadapter, ProMedia, etc. Some even have two. Save for really tiny plates for P&S or M4/3, it's hard to buy an Arca plate without a 1/4" threaded hole. Most of them also have a hand strap loop.

If you swap back and forth between a strap and tripod a lot, the threaded connector is a PITA. A small Arca clamp (25mm) is faster and more convenient. I haven't tried one, but a new Kickstart project, Fusion, has a neat looking non-dedicated plate with fold out clip for BlackRapid:

http://fpgear.com

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:04 PM
me.awesome

p.2 #9 · New ball head avice

OK screw it V2. Any ball head up to $600 what would you get. Figured im already in for the gitzo, may as well get the best ball head i can afford. then I have about $100 at amazon for plates. Give me your carts.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:44 AM
me.awesome

p.2 #10 · New ball head avice

dcains wrote:
Do you mean the larger clamp will interfere with the platform at the top of the tripod's column? If so, there are 2 possible solutions. 1) L-bracket on your camera body 2) smaller platform on the column, i.e. from a series-1. I've actually opted for both.

Wait that actually works? hmm this might be my best option, Ive looked up the series 1 plate the D0701.03 and it looks like i can get it at place called manfrottospares.com. is that place legit? where did you get yours at?

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kendalltristan

p.2 #11 · New ball head avice

I'm honestly going to have to agree that dcains' solution looks to be about the best unless you want a much larger and/or heavier ball head. Personally I'm typically partial to the BH-55 but I can honestly say that my BH-40 gets most of the use between the two. Regardless, I wouldn't go for a bigger ball head in your situation unless you wanted to move up to Series 3 sticks.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · New ball head avice

Low profile head heads are nice and compact but can be a problem with the levers and clamp hitting the top of the center post. Like dcains I had to change the center post on my Manfrotto (stupid bubble level stuck out of an otherwise round platform). You can install a spacer disk but the ones I found were really heavy.

An easier way is to avoid levers--buy models with knobs--and buy a taller head. If I knew what I know now, I'd avoid all the screwing around and buy a Kirk BH-1 or BH-3: tall enough the clamp will never touch the center post platform and no levers. I own a couple Kirk plates and clamps and they're really well made. Finish work is actually way better than similar products from RRS. For some reason RRS has trouble applying a consist matte finish and leaves shiny spots around seams and grooves.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Ball-Heads.html

Jun 13, 2013 at 06:12 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · New ball head avice

me.awesome wrote:
Wait that actually works? hmm this might be my best option, Ive looked up the series 1 plate the D0701.03 and it looks like i can get it at place called manfrottospares.com. is that place legit? where did you get yours at?

I bought the 1-series platform from amazon - sorry I don't recall the part number, but a few years ago it was ~$30.

manfrottospares.com appears to be a legit company, but did you notice it's in the UK?

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:59 PM
me.awesome

p.2 #14 · New ball head avice

I bought the 1-series platform from amazon - sorry I don't recall the part number, but a few years ago it was ~$30.

manfrottospares.com appears to be a legit company, but did you notice it's in the UK?

Yeah i noticed that about manfrottospareparts.com. I think this is what I need. as far as I can tell it comes with the top plate that I need.
http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GS1320D-Series-Aluminum-Adapter/dp/B0019R3BLI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371089239&sr=8-2&keywords=gitzo+adapter+disk

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · New ball head avice

That piece will work just fine. I'm pretty sure that's the same one I bought.

Jun 15, 2013 at 05:45 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #16 · New ball head avice

acktdi wrote:
I have an Acratech Ultimate ballhead, I like the open design.

Same here. In January I replaced my Markins Q3T on the travel tripod with an Ultimate; no lockups in extreme cold and if it gets mucky you rinse it under a faucet. Six months into use and it has been great, I've just returned from a vaca in Europe that was mostly near the shore and hiking through trails and the Acratech was a pleasure to use. It's beautifully made and finished and apparently very sturdy. Base diameter on the Ultimate is 61mm.

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:29 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #17 · New ball head avice

I don't understand all the drama. Just buy the BH-40 (or one of the other quality Arca-swiss style ball heads) and be done with it. It should work fine, as shown in the photos above.

I've used Kirk and Markins ball heads too. I prefer the Markins Q20 because the main knob has a finer (more incremental) adjustment range as compared to the others. This means you can have the ball tight enough to hold the camera, but loose enough that you can nudge the alignment without loosening the ball. This advantage is subjective and maybe not for everyone. My only other advice is that I've used both the lever- and screw-type clamps, and I prefer the screw types. The lever is faster, but it only saves at most 2 seconds on a 6-8 second operation. I trusted the screw clamp more and wasn't bothered by wasting a whole 2 seconds. And with a screw clamp, I'm not committed to RRS plates.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:11 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #18 · New ball head avice

I have to add to this a question: re screw type clamps, how do you know you've got it tightened correctly? I've never used one of these, so I'm leery that I may not get it tight or worse, that I've overtightened it. Can someone elaborate? Thanks for letting me tag on to this thread...

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · New ball head avice

For screw clamps, all you need do is snug them up and they're good (slightly tighter than lever clamps). Once the dovetail locks in it really has no give or flex so it's difficult to over tighten. Plus, the knob is too small for most mere mortals to over torque, short of using vice grips. If you're the paranoid type, you can install safety stop screws on your plates to keep your rig from sliding out if you forget to tighten all the way.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #20 · New ball head avice

me.awesome wrote:
OK screw it V2. Any ball head up to $600 what would you get.

For $487.00 plus shipping you can get the Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead and a RRS B2 AS II lever clamp. The Z1 is the best ballhead I've used. The RRS B2 AS II lever clamp accommodates any Arca-Swiss type of camera plate without any fiddling with screw-type adjusters. If you buy a Z1 its ball stem has a tapped socket for an M6 screw. If you also get the RRS B2 AS II lever clamp select the M6 screw and not the 1/4"-20 screw at purchase.

I use a RRS B2 LR II lever clamp on my Acratech ballhead and it's the same design. I've tested it with camera plates from Benro, Clearsight, ProMediaGear, SunwayFoto, RRS & Wimberley and they all work just fine and provide a secure connection.

These self-adjusting clamps have been on sale since 2012 so I'm not quite sure why people still think that all RRS clamps will only work properly with RRS or Wimberley plates.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:00 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password