Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Scott Kroeker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

My GF and I have been wanting to go to Steep Rock for a while now. I have been there several times but this was her first visit. With a lot of work on my plate I managed to hustle through it enough to get us the day to go out shooting. Well most of it anyway! It is a bit of a drive to Steep Rock Manitoba. Over 3.5 hours from my house. The forecast wasn't looking that great with rain but the evening forecast was calling for partly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms. This had me hoping the right conditions would transpire for a dramatic sunset. We arrived late in the day around 4pm. It was probably the best time to show up as a large dark and rainy cloud mass had just cleared the area and the sun appeared as we arrived. We had sunlight for several hours—I think I got a little too much—but as it got closer to sunset things started to look grim. A large cloud mass started rolling in and soon the sun was struggling to get through. My hopes of a sunset were fading but the light was pretty amazing and I got some interesting photos. After a while I noticed it getting a little lighter on the horizon and so my hopes starting to go up If the sun breaks out just at sunset it could be good I thought. Well, it got even better as a small thunderstorm also started rolling in. Now, to hope everything lines up and I get the shot I was hoping for. Well, it did. Actually, this ended up being one of the best sunsets I've seen. Definitely the best I've had a Steep Rock. Believe it or not, I had envisioned this photo the day before when checking the forecast and can't believe I got it! The gods were in my favour for sure this time! I took many photos and have a LOT to process yet. For now, I hope you enjoy this photo.

Photo details:
Single exposure (no HDR and no filters)
1.6 sec - F16 - ISO100 - 10 mm

Edited on Jun 11, 2013 at 04:29 AM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

A magnificent sunset AND a lightning strike?
An exquisite capture and processing.
You live well, Scott.
It's always nice to be with a lady and have the sparks fly.
Charlie

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:03 PM
dhb820
• • •
p.1 #3 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Amazing photo, perfect timing and fantastic colors. Great work!

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Bob Altic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Wow, no filters! Good job, glorious sunset. Best, Bob

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:57 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Holy @#^!balls

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Cookies
• • •
p.1 #6 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

You nailed it! The lightning strike is killer. Excellent.

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:10 AM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Beautiful shot, Scott. Man, I bet this looks fantastic printed big. Which I hope you plan on doing. Great work here.

JBR

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:16 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Very nice Scott!
And you didn't need the orb either

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

It is hard to fathom catching a moment in time like this for me Scott, I could imagine it but the chances of it would be slim. Gosh, a whole 1.6sec and you get a blazing sun, a dramatic silhouette sun blocker, an incredible layered sky, calm waters before the storm, a nice jetty of rock to echo the warm light from above and just to make a final statement..........a bolt of lightning

I would have stopped on the way home for my lotto ticket after capturing a shot like this!
And yes you bet I like it

Karl

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:14 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #10 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Oh so sweet Scott! You must have had a big grin on your face on the way home. The cloud patterns even point to the lightning!

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #11 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Capture of a life time there Scott! I love the colors and the composition that splits up the sunset and the lightning strike like a yin-yang.

Thanks for sharing!

Jason

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:53 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #12 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Incredible Scott. Amazing scene. No idea how you managed to get that all into one shot!

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:47 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

That is really cool Scott, what great timing.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #14 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

cooooool

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #15 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Lucky you with that terrific sunset! And complete with lightning strike. It must have been quite thrilling to have that scene unfold for you. I especially like how the red clouds form a line going right to the lightning. I do find my eye bouncing back and forth a bit between the two focal points on the horizon (sun and lightning). They have very similar visual weight, due to the clouds leading to the lightning and to the two rounded projections in the foreground cliffs aligning with each feature above. Combined with the warm/cool split, those elements make the photo seem almost like a yin-yang symbol, but that's part of the photo's appeal.

Bonus nit: that little patch of tall, yellow grass in the LR corner is distracting to my eye.

[And having just typed all of that, I now see that Jason beat me to the yin-yang comment.]

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:09 PM
oasis
• • •
p.1 #16 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Whoa, super cool! A magnificent capture, thanks for sharing!

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:13 PM
Mashuto

p.1 #17 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Scott, I think you are already quite aware that you nailed it with this shot. Great timing and a great capture!

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Wow...great, unusual light with the dark storm clouds and bright sunset colors. Not to mention the lightning!

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:22 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

Hey Scott,

Man, this is so cool looking! It's awesome that you had a vision for this shot too. It goes to show that we can have some preconcieved ideas on what we want our shots to look like before we get to a location. It's not just about winging it, though it is always important to stay open to serendipity as we shoot.

Were you just clicking away to capture the lightning? Or were you able to time the strikes? Either way, what a really sweet shot!

Jim

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:01 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Electric Fire Sunset at Steep Rock

it's an amazing catch Scott

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register