Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · New Mac Pro

Daboyle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Mac Pro

New mac pros coming- but goodness they are hideous, a cylindrical design, 1/8 the size of the old mac pro, all flash ( probably proprietary and soldered ) internal storage ( soldered as well prob. ) and totally defeat the purpose of what a mac pro should be. They are all externally expandable, but I thought the point of the mac pro was for pros who want easy internal personal expandability, space for additional graphics cards or expandability cards ( such as SDI cards), internal HDD's, powerful CPU, and ability to use proprietary PCIE cards from 3rd party vendors....... what are your thoughts on it?

Edited on Jun 10, 2013 at 07:18 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:08 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Mac Pro

Looks like a crude beta version of the Mac Mini from the early 2000's... If the only expansion options are external, I think it's going to be a flop.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Mac Pro

Care to share a link?

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:27 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Mac Pro

They just gave a sneak peek of it at WWDC. You can read the notes at MacRumers.com

http://photos.reportinglive.com/p/2013-06-10/f1370887342.jpg

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:31 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Mac Pro

11:04 am "You're gonna love the Mac Pro. It's killer." - Tim Cook
11:03 am Special lunchtime session tomorrow with Pixar, the Foundry showing character animation running on the new Mac Pro.
11:03 am Assembled in the USA.
11:03 am Coming "later this year".
11:03 am 'Stunning product. The future of the pro desktop."
11:03 am Audio, 4 USB 3.0 ports, 6 Thunderbolt 2 ports, Gigabit ethernet, HDMI out, and motion sensor that lights up the back panel when its turned.
11:02 am Is only 1/8th the volume of the old generation Mac Pro.
11:02 am Mac unlike any we've ever made. Delivers so much more performance and capabilities.
11:01 am Final Cut Pro X will support performance and graphics capabilities of the new machine.
11:01 am Supports 4K displays. Multiple streams. 3 4K displays on built-in dual workstation graphics.
11:01 am 7 teraflops over OpenCL.
11:01 am 528GBps total bandwidth.
11:01 am Graphics: First Mac ever to include dual workstation GPUs. AMD FirePro Graphics.
11:00 am All expansion is external. Uses Thunderbolt 2, 20Gbps throughput, 6 devices per port, backwards compatible. 2x of industry leading Thunderbolt 1.
11:00 am Flash internal storage. New Flash PCIe-based. 1.25GBps read, 1.0GBps write. 10x faster than any hard drive put in a Mac Pro.
10:59 am Double the CPU performance of the previous generation. 1766MHz DDR3, 60GBps bandwidth memory.
10:59 am Processor, graphics and memory are inside. New generation Intel Xeon.
10:59 am This is a machine unlike anything we've ever made both inside and out.
10:58 am "Can't innovate anymore my ass." - Phil Schiller
10:58 am New Mac Pro is a totally different cylindrical design.
10:57 am Really pleased to give you the first glimpse of the next generation of Mac Pro.
10:57 am New capabilities for the next 10 years. Truly revolutionary and truly radical. So cool, we're gonna go a little over the top and give it a grand introduction.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/10/live-coverage-of-apples-wwdc-2013-keynote/

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Mac Pro

I just dont understand why the went from elegant aluminum to cheap formed plastic......hideous for such an expensive piece of equipment.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:36 PM
S-Man23
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Mac Pro

I like how they insist that it's "Stunning" hoping that everyone will get on board and agree.

edit: also I wonder what keeps apple from adopting the Adobe model of subscribing to use their products. Pay a monthly fee and always get the newest model when they come out as long as you return the previous model for recycling/refurb sale...

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Mac Pro

S-Man23 wrote:
I like how they insist that it's "Stunning" hoping that everyone will get on board and agree.

The only thing stunning about the whole Mac Pro situation is how blind they are to their power user that made them the company they are today.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:41 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Mac Pro

besides 6 thunderbolt ports, there is no practical reason I see photographers needing one. The next gen imacs and mac pros are plenty powerful and capable.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Mac Pro

Seems a little early to be hating.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

S-Man23
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Mac Pro

Daboyle wrote:
besides 6 thunderbolt ports, there is no practical reason I see photographers needing one. The next gen imacs and mac pros are plenty powerful and capable.

With the support of multiple 4k monitors I'm suspecting they'll be used more by Cinematographers and such.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Mac Pro

Tell me Lute - how am I easily supposed to pick up 4 new 3TB HDD's and install it in this without spending another 1800 or more on a proprietary external TB raid system? What if my internal HDD goes out?

I know they make external PCIE - TB adapters, but honestly, when you pay this premium, why should you have to spend another 300 on an external expansion case? And this thing doesn't even have ESATA, which I'm sorry to say, isn't going away any time soon. Again, have to spend another 200 for an ugly external TB-ESATA adapter......

In the end you may have 1 pretty small object that lights up in the back.....with a long daisy chain or string of cords leading to 3-8 other cases housing pretty much the same thing that the original mac pro all had internally. Gimmicky marketing is what I call it. I'd rather have everything all in one internally, with the option of an external backup drive/storage system.

Edited on Jun 10, 2013 at 07:42 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:01 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Mac Pro

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:06 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Mac Pro

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
The only thing stunning about the whole Mac Pro situation is how blind they are to their power user that made them the company they are today.

The "Power User" was never part of making Apple what they are today.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Mac Pro

Daboyle wrote:
I just dont understand why the went from elegant aluminum to cheap formed plastic......hideous for such an expensive piece of equipment.

11:04 am "You're gonna love the Mac Pro. It's killer." - Tim Cook

Can't wait! Forming line-up....

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:44 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Mac Pro

It looks like an expensive trash can.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:59 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Mac Pro

Daboyle wrote:

It's not plastic. It's polished aluminum. Go see the site.

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Scrolling is on the right. (or the arrow at the bottom)

I'm not terribly interested in paying for dual video cards. The rest sounds promising, but the processing barely catches up to what I'm using now... and have been using for two years. Connectivity and such seem interesting. Can't say I'd swap until I see solid specs on the CPU though.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:01 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Mac Pro

i'm pretty impressed myself....cant say i'll buy one, surely it'll be out of my price range....

on a side note, the new osX "Mavericks" looks interesting...Tabs within Finder......will do Airplay external monitoring to a TV (hooked up to apple TV), as well as the multiple displays functionality just got a GAZILLION times more useful......menu bar on every display, and a dock on every display. That's sick.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:11 PM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Mac Pro

When my son gets my iMac this is what I will be purchasing.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Mac Pro

They clearly don't understand professionals. External expansion means more cords, more mess, more problems. Seems like PCs are the best option if you want a powerful machine without a mess of cables and power strips.

Edited on Jun 13, 2013 at 08:31 AM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password