Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

DanBrown wrote:
+1

+2

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

There was a recent sale on FM of a 200mm 1.8 from a seller with a huge amount of experience on the board which turned really nasty, photos were of a different lens and the buyer used that to prove to the credit card company that it was a fraud. I'd say photos should be mandatory if only just to make sure that you get what was advertised and can have comeback for fraudulent deals.

Jun 13, 2013 at 01:56 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Beni wrote:
I'd say photos should be mandatory

In the final analysis, the sale is a negotiation between the buyer and the seller. If one is uncomfortable with the buyer, then pass on the sale. If a seller feels unsure about a buyer, he/she doesn't have to sell. Every negotiation carries a risk. The amount of risk one is willing to accept varies considerably from person to person. Minimization of risk occurs during the negotiation process. If one doesn't wish to accept any risk, one doesn't belong on the buy/sell board. Given the number of transactions that occur, the risk of getting fleeced is minimal.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:23 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Beni wrote:
There was a recent sale on FM of a 200mm 1.8 from a seller with a huge amount of experience on the board which turned really nasty, photos were of a different lens and the buyer used that to prove to the credit card company that it was a fraud. I'd say photos should be mandatory if only just to make sure that you get what was advertised and can have comeback for fraudulent deals.

In that case, the seller provided pictures, but they were incredibly old. The buyer ended up with the lens, and his money.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:53 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

I can argue both sides of this

Pro-OP - If you want my money, then I need to be able to see what I am buying
Anti-OP - The seller is not asking you to send him photos of your money

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:40 PM
tama01

Account locked
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

saaketham wrote:

Money has the same value whether spanking-new or extremely used (worn).

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

^ That's what SHE said

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM
tama01

Account locked
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ That's what SHE said

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

saaketham wrote:

I'm afraid I'd need quite a big lens to photograph the electrons I'm shooting across the vast regions of the internet.

I cannot speak to whether trenchmonkey would need a similarly large lens to photograph his well-worn "gear"... but let's hope not.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tt_mt6
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ That's what SHE said

Jun 15, 2013 at 09:16 AM
tt_mt6
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

A couple years when my feedback was questionable, I will post photos of my items for sale. Nowadays, I tend to just post FS without photos and always give it one level less in condition than I think.

It does take time to setup my home closet studio for product photography. All my Einsteins, backgrounds, light stands, PLM's are all tucked away and 5 mins is not enough. Usually takes me at least an hour or two since I take them in batches. I love to test out new gear like and sell them out afterwards and tend to stock up more than I sell.

Fast forward a few years and I don't post photos until someone asks... but still need to schedule it in the next week or so. I know of quite a number of FM'ers that will purchase stuff from me without photos.

The one that usually ask for photos are relatively new members. Seasoned members don't really ask unless the item is like the 50mm f/1.0L that I recently sold. Even then, I didn't post photos for quite a while and sold to the very first person who requested photos.

Of course I will double check the condition is what I described right before I pack it up.

To each its own I guess.

Jun 15, 2013 at 09:24 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

BenV wrote:
If it's a seller with good feedback, and they say its like new, why wouldn't you believe them? Do you really need a photo of a lens that you can find out what it looks like by googling it?

Not that simple because people have different standards. Here's a real example: a long term FM member, sufficient positive feedback, no negatives, advertises their very expensive lens as "mint".

Yet, the lens photographs show dented front rim and some barrel paint loss.
Using KEH condition rating scale, I'd call that lens no better than "EX" which is very different from "mint".

Therefore, if it wasn't for the pictures, and having to go by the ad wording alone, that sale might have run into some trouble.

Jun 15, 2013 at 06:05 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

The funny thing about money is that I keep hearing people say "Money Talks". All I ever heard it say was GOOD BYE!

Dave

Jun 15, 2013 at 09:01 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

I like pictures, they do give me a better sense of what I’m buying or selling. A picture tells a thousand words. So to speak.

I have a co-worker that bought a motorcycle off of Craig’s list. Photos were posted, but the seller only showed the good side. The other side was involved in an accident and it took quite some time and stress on his part to make things right.

Picture or no picture you may not be getting all the facts.

I found my picture of my truck and camper that I posted on a web site being used by somebody on Craig’s list. I had it removed, which was really misleading any buyer.

I have a Canon s95 and just grab an image with it and down size to Jpeg for my post. Nothing to special about the images. I think I may not spell out all the details in words to a potential buyer and in hopes the picture fills in the rest of the words I miss writing.

There are quite a few people here, depending on the dollar amount, I would buy site not seen and I have. The debate can go on forever, but it takes two to make a transaction. Comes down to what each side is willing to do or not do to complete the transaction. If I want to see a series of images of what I’m buying that is my request. If the seller does not want, nor has the time to accommodate me, then I can thank them for their time and move on.

Life is too short and disappointments are hard to accept to have to spend more time trying to fix it latter. So depending on the situation, your both right.

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:03 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

binary visions wrote:
Dearest sellers,

We have had a wonderful relationship thus far. I have purchased a number of items, always received good service, and generally would consider it nothing but a positive experience. So, thank you for that.

I just wanted to mention, though, that sometimes you post items without photos attached. Unless the item is <$50, or is described as "new in box," this is simply silly. Please keep in mind that you are asking other strangers on the internet to send you money, sometimes hundreds or thousands of dollars. Take a moment, photograph your gear (this is a photographers' forum, is
...Show more

Hi bV,

I'm with you on the picture thing, call me old-fashioned, but I like to see what I'm buying before purchasing. Now, I have given difference to some sellers who I have either personally encountered on the boards and, so, know to be upfront and honorable folk, or to those whose ratings have been impeccable and have gotten those reviews from, again, folks who have shown their honorable characters around the boards.

But, to me, the making of a successful transaction requires that both parties are happy with the deal...and I go out of my way, as a buyer, to accommodate my seller's needs and to calm their nerves. So, if I request images and the seller balks because they can't be, oh say, inconvenienced, well, I consider that both disrespectful and a deal breaker. "If you can't be inconvenienced to provide a few images, then I can't be inconvenienced to head to the bank or P.O. to get you a certified check or money order for your gear." No sleep lost on my part, another "dame" will be comin' around the corner at any moment.

It's all about rapport...If everybody's goal is to be happy, and everybody's goal is to be honorable, the deal's go down smoothly and everyone is smiling...the way it should be.

Anyhoo, my 2-cents on the matter.
Jimmy G

Edit: "given difference"...ahahahah!...almost spit coffee out of my nose..."deference", of course!... ...

Edited on Jun 30, 2013 at 01:23 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Is it OK to post a picture of a lens with the lens coat on?

Jun 28, 2013 at 06:55 PM
tt_mt6
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Andrew J wrote:
Is it OK to post a picture of a lens with the lens coat on?

Um... and a photo of the front element with the filter on.

Suppose it's the same as no photo or have photo.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

if i know the seller, no picture, no problem. BUT i always post picture when i sell. it is more for my protection. What you see is what you get. No dispute, no hassle. It only take couple minutes to take picture and upload.

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:11 AM
gilead
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Pictures are why I joined

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:52 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password