Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Dearest sellers,

We have had a wonderful relationship thus far. I have purchased a number of items, always received good service, and generally would consider it nothing but a positive experience. So, thank you for that.

I just wanted to mention, though, that sometimes you post items without photos attached. Unless the item is <$50, or is described as "new in box," this is simply silly. Please keep in mind that you are asking other strangers on the internet to send you money, sometimes hundreds or thousands of dollars. Take a moment, photograph your gear (this is a photographers' forum, is it not?) and post them along with your listing, even if you don't think there's anything to show. It provides everyone a warm fuzzy about the item you're selling and ensures we're all on the same page about what it looks like.

Then, I would be happy to talk with you about transferring large sums of money to your bank account.

Warm regards and love,
- bV

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

If it's a seller with good feedback, and they say its like new, why wouldn't you believe them? Do you really need a photo of a lens that you can find out what it looks like by googling it?

Edited on Jun 10, 2013 at 04:55 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:36 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

BenV wrote:
If it's a sell with good feedback, and they say its like new, why wouldn't you believe them?

+1

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:40 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

BenV wrote:
If it's a sell with good feedback, and they say its like new, why wouldn't you believe them? Do you really need a photo of a lens that you can find out what it looks like by googling it?

Well... Two things:

A) I should have included the word "like" in the original post, since I really intended that the only scenario where I don't need a picture is when it is indistinguishable from a new item (NIB or LNIB). However, it's still a good practice - again, you are asking a stranger to send you money. The least you can do is provide them some kind of indication that what you are sending is indeed as-described. There is minimal time investment. Even if it seems silly: just do it. Give people that warm-fuzzy.

B) That's not really the problem category, though. There are plenty of people who rate their item as 8 or 9, which indicate the item is NOT as-new, and then say things like "normal wear marks." If the item is not as-new, just provide a picture. This is a forum for photographers - are you going to say, with a straight face, that you are incapable of taking a picture of something being sold?

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:00 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

binary visions wrote:
Well... Two things:

A) I should have included the word "like" in the original post, since I really intended that the only scenario where I don't need a picture is when it is indistinguishable from a new item (NIB or LNIB). However, it's still a good practice - again, you are asking a stranger to send you money. The least you can do is provide them some kind of indication that what you are sending is indeed as-described. There is minimal time investment. Even if it seems silly: just do it. Give people that warm-fuzzy.

B) That's not really the problem
...Show more

I have no problem with taking pictures of my gear being sold, but sometimes I'm listing items from work and don't have time. Most of the time the item sells before I get home. It all really depends on how picky you are with your camera gear. I personally keep my gear as clean as possible, but if I'm buying used, and they say it has marks on the body but the glass is clean, thats all I care about. I like to take photographs, not study my camera gear

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:58 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

You've missed the point.

It has nothing to do with how clean you prefer your gear. Whether it's brand new or dragged behind a truck, a visual representation of the condition of the gear is important to conveying clearly and precisely what it looks like without introducing subjective wording into it.

I think "I don't have time" is a cop-out. It takes less time to take pictures of your gear than it took for you to participate in this thread. I can put something on the kitchen counter, shoot it, and resize/upload the photos in under 5 minutes. I know you can, too. Your profile shows you have participated in 51 transactions since 2008. If we assume those were all sales by you, I'd say you are not so prolific a seller as to make that an egregious imposition on your time.

I'm happy you can sell your gear without photos. You won't sell it to me, though, and I suspect you won't sell it to a number of others as well .

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:41 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

binary visions wrote:
You've missed the point.

It has nothing to do with how clean you prefer your gear. Whether it's brand new or dragged behind a truck, a visual representation of the condition of the gear is important to conveying clearly and precisely what it looks like without introducing subjective wording into it.

I think "I don't have time" is a cop-out. It takes less time to take pictures of your gear than it took for you to participate in this thread. I can put something on the kitchen counter, shoot it, and resize/upload the photos in under 5 minutes. I know you
...Show more

That's fine, I don't really care who I sell it to, as long as it sells. I've never had trouble moving gear before, as my 51 transactions show

Either way, this thread is meaningless. It's sole purpose is to start an argument by someone who thinks this is how things should be done. Point in case is, if you don't want to buy an item because it doesn't have a photo, nobody is forcing you to buy anything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:47 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

BenV wrote:
Either way, this thread is meaningless.

Ah.

Silly me, I thought a forum was, in significant part, about expressing opinions.

Clearly, though, I was misinformed. That must mean we can only talk about hard facts here.

Which might make your contributions "meaningless" as well...

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:58 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

binary visions wrote:
Ah.

Silly me, I thought a forum was, in significant part, about expressing opinions.

Clearly, though, I was misinformed. That must mean we can only talk about hard facts here.

Which might make your contributions "meaningless" as well...

Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I expressed mine, you expressed yours. Apparently you took it (personal?) that I didn't agree.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:04 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Nope, not at all. I responded to your comments directly with my thoughts. You decided this thread was meaningless - I'm just observing that, if expressing opinions is meaningless, you might want to turn that lens back on yourself. I did not find your response devoid of meaning, or I would not have bothered to respond.

There's nothing personal, and I directly stated that I'm happy you can sell your gear in whatever manner you want. I'm not telling the world what to do. I'm expressing my thoughts. Which is, to wit, the purpose of a discussion forum.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Apparently you took it (personal?) that I didn't agree.

When you tell someone that their thread is meaningless, you are getting personal. If you disagree, you give your reasons and then you move along. You shouldn't judge.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

What we have here is a "failure to communicate..."

I love the line "Two Jews, Three Opinions." We could translate that to "Two Photographers, Three Opinions." I doubt anyone who has been hanging out on this website has missed the fact that when an opinion is expressed, there will be at least one, but likely many more objections and counter arguments. And when that happens you can pretty much count on the fact one or more people will become offended. This is, of course, at the heart of what passes for political discourse in this country.

So I'll express MY opinion, which clearly is superior to those expressed by others on this thread.

To the extent I rely on seller, which can happen because I've dealt with him or her before, or because they have outstanding feedback... AND to the extent what is being sold can be reasonably described, I'm content to consider an item without photos. But I buy old lenses and questions about version being offered and condition become quite important. Sometimes the seller thinks he's selling one version but in fact is unfamiliar with serial numbers and then unknowingly misrepresents the item. I'll always want to see photos of older gear.

Someone with great feedback that says an item is "like new" doesn't have to post a photo to prove that fact. I'll take his or her word on the matter.

But if OP wants photos, I trust he or she is capable of asking the seller to provide them. I doubt Fred will institute a blanket policy that says sellers MUST post photos, so this conversation is simply a way to spend time when the rest of our lives gets too boring to embrace... I think I'll get back to my lunch...

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:06 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

In other words, y'all, posting photos of equipment is subjective. If you can't envision what "like new" means with a B&H link attached to it....and posted from a respected seller, then just pass.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Pictures are great to take of the item, especially if there is an insurance claim.

ron

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:00 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Good suggestion for your "average" member, Stephan. Personally, I quit providing pics (unless there was
a visible flaw to disclose) in my otherwise mint gear...a couple of hundred positive transactions ago.
Here was #411 w/sample shots but NO product pics...participation/reputation, just sayin'
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1204698

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

ronfronberg wrote:
Pictures are great to take of the item, especially if there is an insurance claim.

ron

Exactly! I sell a lot of stuff here and I take lots of detailed pictures of what I sell. The primary reason is not to show the pictures but to make sure I document the condition of the gear before I ship it off. That way if there are any insurance claims, or claims from the buyer about the condition, then I have evidence to prove the condition it was in before I shipped it out.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

CGrindahl wrote:
I love the line "Two Jews, Three Opinions."

Isn't that special...

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

If you're interested, just ask the seller to post a picture. Otherwise, let other people spend their money the way that they see fit.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:49 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

Jon Joshua wrote:
If you're interested, just ask the seller to post a picture. Otherwise, let other people spend their money the way that they see fit.

Please tell me, where, precisely, did I tell everyone else they couldn't do business as they saw fit?

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · ATTN: My beloved Fred Miranda sellers

I picked up a 6D yesterday, but I have to sell it fast, because I used it to take some comparison photos between 6D + Alt lenses and an X-Pro 1 and XF lenses, and that didn't work out so good.

Anyway, it's in nearly like new condition, and next to the box. Any faults are clearly visible in the attached photo. Bid away!

Unfortunately, I sold my flash last week.

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:21 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password