Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

For those wondering, VSCO has confirmed there is no compatibility issue with the upgrade. VSCO works "perfectly" with LR5. I'm still waiting for CS6 to arrive later today before installing everything clean, so I cannot confirm this yet. Just passing the info along.

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:38 PM
awad
• •
p.2 #2 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

i can confirm that vsco works without a hitch. finished a job with it this morning.

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:47 PM
S-Man23
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

Ended up being $72 for the upgrade (with tax). Thanks for the PPA Discount reminder! Sucky thing is that I just upgraded to LR4 like a month or two ago.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:58 PM
swoop
• • •
p.2 #4 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

Does anyone know if there's spell check in the captions field yet?

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:08 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.2 #5 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

S-Man23 wrote:
Ended up being $72 for the upgrade (with tax). Thanks for the PPA Discount reminder! Sucky thing is that I just upgraded to LR4 like a month or two ago.

The LR5 Beta has been out for over a month, why wouldn't you have used that instead

The radial tool & new spot removal tool is great. Makes exporting to PS unnecessary unless it is something major.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.2 #6 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

I'm going to wait for more feedback. The latest release of 4 is pretty fast on my machine.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #7 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

MikeW wrote:
The LR5 Beta has been out for over a month, why wouldn't you have used that instead

The radial tool & new spot removal tool is great. Makes exporting to PS unnecessary unless it is something major.

.... this.....^^^^^

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:17 PM
silentwings
• • •
p.2 #8 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

Is Motibodo working with LR5 right now, Tony?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Just bought it. Been using the beta for months.

Edited on Jun 10, 2013 at 08:31 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Littleguy
• •
p.2 #9 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

awad wrote:
i can confirm that vsco works without a hitch. finished a job with it this morning.

That's good news and bad news:

Good news - VSCO works with LR5 - don't have to spend extra money to "upgrade" VSCO

Bad news - raw converter hasn't been touched from LR4 - no new demosaic algorithms to improvement raw conversions.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:29 PM
flash
• • • •
p.2 #10 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

For me the smart previews are the killer feature. I've already changed my workflow to take advantage of them as I use a MBP for all my editing. So I've scored a speed improvement and I don't need to keep hooked up to external drives on the road. Sweet.

Keen on the radial filter too.

Gordon

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #11 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

I edited an e-session on LR5 beta and it was kind of an exercise in frustration due to some beta bugs. I hope that they got them all worked out. Vsco worked fine throughout.

brad

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM
HauntedHat
• •
p.2 #12 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

I just got it, but I haven't seen anything too impressive over LR4, to be honest with you.

The interface is pretty much the same, too.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

Definitely snappier for me; if only a little. Grid & Develop do seem quite faster to me. Still suffers from the "first load" issue. (startup of the develop module upon opening the first image)

Not terribly impressed with the healing brush so far. Little bit of a let down.

Seems very slow at creating previews.

Had an issue with a stuck preview in the left pane. Resolved over time though. (close/open)

VSCO transferred over just fine. (unlike with v4)

I honestly see no reason to upgrade. I was hoping cloning/healing was reaching PS level. It hasn't.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

silentwings wrote:
Is Motibodo working with LR5 right now, Tony?

I don't know. I never upgraded my Motibodo after v3. I always loved it, but I fell away from it a bit.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:04 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #15 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

I'm giving it six months till the bugs are worked out by the early adopters.

Edited on Jun 11, 2013 at 04:30 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:29 AM
silentwings
• • •
p.2 #16 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

Thank you, Tony. I just downloaded a trial version and tested it, no luck as the tool bar has changed a bit. I guess Dave's team is working on the update right now.

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I don't know. I never upgraded my Motibodo after v3. I always loved it, but I fell away from it a bit.

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:30 AM
skiboarder72
• •
p.2 #17 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

I used LR5 to edit a full wedding yesterday. The improvements to the clone tool are definitely helpful. I just feel like it's a letdown overall though.

In short... LR4 + Radial Brush + Clone Tool Brush + Smart Previews + Automatic Straighten Feature = LR5

There really is nothing else different. If those four features are worth the $80 then go for it, if not skip it. Image quality, speed, and interface are all the same as LR4.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:01 PM
derek10

p.2 #18 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

I have Lr4 if I skip upgrading to version 5 and wait for 6 would I be able to pay just for the upgrade or full purchase? thanks

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:58 PM
S-Man23
• •
p.2 #19 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

derek10 wrote:
I have Lr4 if I skip upgrading to version 5 and wait for 6 would I be able to pay just for the upgrade or full purchase? thanks

That's a good question. Not sure if anyone upgraded from 3 to 5 because 3 stopped supporting many of the latest cameras. I'd be curious to know the answer myself just for kicks.

Jun 11, 2013 at 06:47 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.2 #20 · LR5 is out - anyone think worth an upgrade ?

I've tested it for 1 full wedding edit plus 2 engagements and I don't see a reason to upgrade at all. none!
Gradual Filter- lol, we are back to the 90s,with the vignetting tool and selective coloring. I mean, it may be useful,but seems more like a gimmick for creating cheap effects. You can do the same thing with a brush.

Straighten tool is nice,but I rarely need it. Maybe if you are shooting a lot of architecture then it's more useful.

Maybe it's just me... I am using using presets from LR2,so I can't even use things like moire,noise,defringe. I just have no need for those things either and they would clutter things up. Maybe in LR10 they will let us choose what tool we want just like Photoshop lets you choose what windows you want(would be awesome)

Overall, it seems very similar to LR4,with just a few add-ons. Most added features are for albums,videos and slideshows. Stuff I don't need. Wouldn't pay more than $20 for it and it would all go to visualize tool and the new clone brush.

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:16 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password