Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

tomandmarj saw this one that I posted over the the Landscape Forum, and told me it should be posted/shared over here in B&W...so here it goes.

We ventured out to Klondike Bluffs on our next to last day in Arches, chose Saturday since it gets a little busy in the park on Saturday. We made the hike out to Tower Arch, and we thought we would have it to ourselves. We didn't, a group of 4 senior hikers decided to have a picnic under the arch...so I played mountain goat for a while, just taking it all in, didn't like the light on the arch from the normal viewpoint...and then while sitting under it, decided that I liked the view out from under it, the bottom of the arch was getting bounced light from the ground, and there were clouds moving in my general direction...so out came all the filters...Lee Big Stopper, and the Lee .9 GND used at its dark end to get the exposure as long as I could. I am really happy with the 17-40L, it does not seem to suffer from diffraction like the EFS 10-22.

The most common comment yet on this...is it level...I set level based on the horizon, not the sloping rock formations...leveling based on the rocks made the horizon not level, and lost the edge of the arch on the left...

Comments and crits more than welcome, I appreciate them. Thanks for looking.

TR

EDIT: Added a revised version that has been rotated and warped...

Tower Arch Portal

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    17mm    f/13.0    240s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Rotated and Warped

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    17mm    f/13.0    240s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 12, 2013 at 03:43 PM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Exceptional

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

oldrattler wrote:
Exceptional

Thanks Jim.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Cool shot Travis. The long exposure works great on this image!
It does appear to be leaning a bit. Often times this is from an optical illusion caused by elements in the image. Easily fixed though.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Cool shot Travis. The long exposure works great on this image!
It does appear to be leaning a bit. Often times this is from an optical illusion caused by elements in the image. Easily fixed though.

Hi Klaus, nice to hear from you. I would like to know more about what you think about the lean...and how you might correct optical illusions, or rotate based on the formations. I tried rotating one to get it level with the main formation, but it didn't look right, and the horizon was off...I really want to get this one right, as I am really happy with the overall image, but the recurring comment about the lean makes me want to fix it.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:23 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

glad you posted here and received additional comments. neat image.
a large size on the wall will be exceptional.
regards, tom

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

tomandmarj wrote:
glad you posted here and received additional comments. neat image.
a large size on the wall will be exceptional.
regards, tom

Thanks Tom. I already have a plan for it in 16x24...going to replace an older image from Zion from 2009 that hangs in my home office...

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:54 PM
genefixer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Simply stunning! The long exposure worked very well. There is contrast in the image but with a touch of softening tones that really works magic in this image!

Mike

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:50 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

genefixer wrote:
Simply stunning! The long exposure worked very well. There is contrast in the image but with a touch of softening tones that really works magic in this image!

Mike

Thank you. 90% of the conversion was done in CS4, with some final touches and tweaks done in Nik SEP. I really like that it has the 10 zone diagram feature, I like a good black and white that has pure whites and deep blacks. The softness in tones comes from the worn formations, they have so much color variation.

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:57 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Hi Klaus, nice to hear from you. I would like to know more about what you think about the lean...and how you might correct optical illusions, or rotate based on the formations. I tried rotating one to get it level with the main formation, but it didn't look right, and the horizon was off...I really want to get this one right, as I am really happy with the overall image, but the recurring comment about the lean makes me want to fix it.

Travis,
I would try the Transform > skew option and /or the Transform with rotate, skew, or perspective options. You should be able to get it right where you want it.
Just a little experimenting. Hope this helps.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

I will mess around with it a bit Klaus, thanks for the tips.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I will mess around with it a bit Klaus, thanks for the tips.

No problem. Its a great shot!

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Thank you. Part of me like the angle in the formations, to me it is not only what is really there, but it adds to the dynamics of the image.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Your welcome. Its a very unique take on a familiar subject. Everything works great together here.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Travis,
This looks terrific here, also .
I mentioned a couple of things on the Landscapes Forum. You seem to want all the input you can get, so I'm posting some edits here.
Let me know if you want me to pull them.
#1. Yours as posted.
#2. Edit- Rotation.
#3. Edit- Skewing.
#4. Edit- Skewing AND rotation.
Charlie

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:12 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

I like the skewed only version, rotating for me loses too much of the arch at left and top. Thanks for the tips Charlie.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

Travis,
Forgive me but I had to tweek you image a little.
This is a combination of skew and rotate with some content aware fill in the corner areas where the information was lost due to the rotation. Let me know and I will delete it if you like.
Hope this helps.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

no need to delete Klaus, I appreciate the time you spent to present it. I need to sit down with it when I get the time and work on it. I don't have CS5 or newer, so CAF is not an option for me. But I will see what I can do, and re-post to see if it works better.

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:24 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

This is fabulous.

So this was a 4 minute exposure?

Jun 12, 2013 at 01:10 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

BostonGreg wrote:
This is fabulous.

So this was a 4 minute exposure?

Thanks. Yes, 240 seconds. I had the Lee Big Stopper and a .9 ND on, combined with ISO 100 and f/13. I tend to overexpose just a little on LE shots, since under exposing generates a little more noise, notably in the darker areas of the image.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password