FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Lately I have been in kind of a dry spell in terms of my large format work. A couple of my cameras broke and the lens/body combo I was using was not giving me the critical focus I needed for usable shots.
Frustrating as hell for sure.
I also feel like whenever I take out the big camera I end up shooting "all the wrong shots". I suppose I tried to be creative or whatever but was not liking the results.
I do not do many formal portraits but have been feeling like I need to get back to something a little more "classic" and "timeless". The look of the large format camera is unique and is great for "simple portraits".

Bride wanted to showcase the back of her dress. So I went with my version of the "simple portrait" and came away with this shot. I am very pleased with the result and thought I would share it with everyone. Evan Baines has talked with me and with some of the other Genesis people about some of todays photographers lacking in classic lighting and portraiture skills. I am by no means an expert in any of that but I do really believe that it has its place in what we do. Despite whatever technology we have to exploit creative photographs in 50 or 100 years having a straightforward shot that documents exactly what bride and groom looked like with them as the focus of the shot will be important for the family.

I would appreciate everyones comments.

http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/JM02.jpg

Doug

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

It's really nice Doug. I agree with your thinking that there is a place for "traditional" portraiture in weddings. It is something I've been incorporating more in my weddings as well. My thinking is that these types of shots tend to feel 'boring' to outsiders looking in but have great value to the subjects themselves and their family. But that doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be well-executed.

My only comments on this shot is that I might have moved the couple to the right a bit so the dark center of the doorway doesn't drive through the couple, allowing for a cleaner background behind them. Might even raise the camera a bit so their heads don't get cut by the glass. It's a pretty nit-picky comment though since there is a decent enough separation from the DoF used.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Thanks!
The only drawback to using the Graflex is that I cannot shoot much higher than waste level because of the way the camera is setup. My Crown Graphic has a broke rangefinder that I have been trying to repair. Once that is back in the game I can shoot from a higher vantage point which is something I totally agree with.

I also agree about these types of shots feeling normal or boring to outsiders. With all the wedding blogs and fearless stuff it is hard for people to look past that a lot of times. I also think their is a big divide between decent portraiture that the bride and groom will appreciate and exceptional portraiture that is truly a work of art in a more traditional sense.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:06 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

As a film shooter, I'm not sure I understand the draw of 4x5 for wedding work. The process (which I have somewhat of an understanding of) seems like it would carry far too many drawbacks to create an image that (in the above example) can be duplicated perfectly with another medium. Even medium format affords more usability than 4x5 and there's nothing in the above shot I couldn't do with my Contax. Not trying to be a downer at all, hardlyboring, I've always wanted to shoot 4x5 but as a wedding photographer, the thought of messing with this just doesn't make sense when it's often hard enough messing with 220 film. Is it about differentiating yourself from the market? I'd love to hear other thoughts on why you do this.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Retro returns in a new way...

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

I really respect shots like this because I always set out to get one and never really accomplish it...in my mind anyway. Your are 100% right that these need to be done and you did it very well.

Great Job Doug

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

So cool man. I think a lot of people tend to over think things with photography. Thin slice it, is it a cool photo, or not? This one is way cool.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

cineski wrote:
As a film shooter, I'm not sure I understand the draw of 4x5 for wedding work. The process (which I have somewhat of an understanding of) seems like it would carry far too many drawbacks to create an image that (in the above example) can be duplicated perfectly with another medium. Even medium format affords more usability than 4x5 and there's nothing in the above shot I couldn't do with my Contax. Not trying to be a downer at all, hardlyboring, I've always wanted to shoot 4x5 but as a wedding photographer, the thought of messing with this just doesn't
...Show more

I also shoot medium format film with a variety of different cameras. For general work throughout the day you are right the MF cameras as well as 35mm film cameras make much more sense. The reason I shoot the 4x5 is because at the end of the day if you took all my cameras away and let me only have one I would be picking the Graflex Super D. It is huge, it is slow, it is a PITA a lot of times but the camera just fits me. It presents a unique shooting experience for both me and my couples. It provides a necessary challenge that forces me to be more thoughtful and decisive. In my opinion if I can create one great photo with the Graflex for my couples it will be worth more than a hundred mediocre ones with my digital cameras.

The 2nd part is the look for the photo. I love love love LF work from the early 1900's. Even with a fast lens on a MF camera you cannot really match the three dimensionality of a fast lens on a LF camera. The imperfections in the camera and lens is what brings the photo to life. The reason why I want to use my LF camera to shoot this type of shot is because I want to slow down and perfect one shot. I don't want 100 different looks with my digital camera while I run around machine gunning. I want to know that I have only a few frames to get the job done.

In the end some people appreciate having shots from this camera. Other people could care less so we do not bother shooting it. I enjoy shooting the camera at weddings and I think that if I am enjoying my work it will turn out better. I just enjoy the challenge it presents. I am a decent photographer and can do most things OK. I do not think we spend to much time trying to worry about differentiating ourselves from the market but for me the Graflex is the one thing that is unique to me.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:11 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

This particular shot is not at the level of some of the 4x5 stuff I've seen from you. I think I'm still drooling over that set you did at the racetrack. I think there's a place for classic portraiture like this and you have really nailed featuring it (the 4x5 stuff in particular) as being part of your brand.

BTW, I might be calling you later on because I've been in the market for a while and can't seem to make up my mind.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:30 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Alan -- I had a conversation with Chuck about some of my earlier 4x5 stuff and how some of the new stuff has lost a little bit of the "look" of the earlier stuff. The main reason the earlier stuff looked different was because I had a jacked up lens mount and also was terrible at developing the film. It was so bad that it looked cool (almost like instagram stuff etc.). For the past year or so I have been using better lenses, and better developing techniques and have been able to produce much more technically perfect photographs.

I cannot decide which way was better... Chuck likes the new stuff, you like the old stuff and I just plain like using the camera as long as I get usable pictures.

In the end I really think that I like having technically correct photos. If the photo is not "cool" enough then I just need to get better at composition and posing etc. I do not think using shoddy equipment and busted lenses is a valid excuse for artistry after a certain point.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:50 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Great image.. I'm liking it a lot.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:06 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Man, screw what Chuck thinks! What the hell does that guy know anyway?

I actually think it was the developing that gave your stuff such a unique look. A lot had to do with the amount of grain you were getting. That was sick, especially for LF where grain isn't as apparent as it is in smaller formats. Was that the D you were using at the time? I thought it was the Crown Graphic with movements, but now that you mention the lens mount being off,I guess it was the D.

BTW, if you want technically perfect images then shoot digital. One of the reasons I love film is that it's not always super sharp and technically perfect. Digital is almost too clean for me, which is why I've had some many issues with post processing.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:06 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

maxwell1295 wrote:
Man, screw what Chuck thinks! What the hell does that guy know anyway?

I actually think it was the developing that gave your stuff such a unique look. A lot had to do with the amount of grain you were getting. That was sick, especially for LF where grain isn't as apparent as it is in smaller formats. Was that the D you were using at the time? I thought it was the Crown Graphic with movements, but now that you mention the lens mount being off,I guess it was the D.

BTW, if you want technically perfect images then shoot
...Show more

ya it was the D with a lens that I did not have mounted correct. I suppose I could just mount the lens the wrong way again!
As far as grain goes I am going to be shooting HP5 at ultra high iso and developing in Microphen so I should be getting a little more grain and way more contrast. We shall see.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

LOVE IT. Simple pose yet has an elegant timeless charm to it.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Its a quality image without being pretentious.

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:39 PM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

I really like it. The simplicity is what I like about it. Documenting in a straight forward way will always have a place I think. Again our work draws our clients so if you show more of this I bet you find more people who are looking for it.

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:40 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Question for you Doug.

What do you think of this image standing by itself without any gear "attached" to it? Would you think any more or any less of it had it been shot with a 5DIII and run through VSCO?

I don't really understand why the camera used really matters.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

deepbluejh wrote:
Question for you Doug.

What do you think of this image standing by itself without any gear "attached" to it? Would you think any more or any less of it had it been shot with a 5DIII and run through VSCO?

I don't really understand why the camera used really matters.

Great question...and one I also thought about as well.

I would not normally call myself a portrait shooter. But it is something that I think is important and valuable in terms of wedding photography and something I really want to work/improve upon. Had I not been using the big camera I would have never done this shot. It is just totally not how I shoot with my digital stuff. With my digital stuff and even sometimes 35mm film stuff you can shoot away and hope that in the 3-4 shots you have that "moment" of interaction between the couple that makes a good photo. With the Graflex I suppose I could shoot like that and have actually tried but my keeper rate goes down and I just waste time and film. If I am going to attempt a portrait (and not everyone wants something like this) I am most likely going to try to use the Graflex unless I cannot carry it or something. I really do feel like if I am going to take the time to load, shoot, and develop the shots I am going to try to make them as fantastic as they can be...even if the shot is something "simple" this this.

Also I will say this to anyone (especially new FM people) that want to post shots for critique but may be afraid to. Showing one or two shots of something you are working on and asking for comments is a great way to not only get critique but also to get yourself into a mindset to reflect on your own work. When I was a teacher I would have my kids do metacognition drills...basically thinking or knowing about how you think.

You all think differently than I do and having different perspectives helps me to analyze my own perspective on my creative process. I urge people to try the same!

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1 Shot... Graflex Super D 4x5

Very nice.

Wonder what it would have looked like with the lens mounted wrong.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.