FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Lightroom 5 now available

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightroom 5 now available

abqnmusa wrote:
Maybe they have improved the RAW conversion so it can finally match the output of DPP
that is what keeps me from using Lightroom
I will wait for eval to test

I've never understood this thinking.

I have used DPP many many times, I still have the latest version on my PC for when I want to do a quick conversion, but LR is just so much better, more versatile and with so many more features and abilities I have never done a conversion in DPP which touched it's LR equivalent.

Yes, I use gradient fills, local adjustments, selective sharpening and all the other things LR does that DPP doesn't but I just don't see the results from DPP are as good.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:35 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightroom 5 now available

While i prefer the overall LR package to DPP, i have to agree that in some ways the DPP output is better - the colours are a lot more accurate for starters, the contrast curves less aggressive, and the lens profiles with DLO are much better than the adobe profiles in LR.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:10 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightroom 5 now available

15Bit wrote:
While i prefer the overall LR package to DPP, i have to agree that in some ways the DPP output is better - the colours are a lot more accurate for starters, the contrast curves less aggressive, and the lens profiles with DLO are much better than the adobe profiles in LR.

But the colours, the contrast curves and almost everything else is infinitely variable in LR, if you don't like it you can just change it

A lot of my lenses aren't available with DLO either

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightroom 5 now available

I've just bought LR4.4 and I'm still getting my head around that! I'll leave it for a while methinks.

And I agree with 15bit, DPP produces the better colours straight out if the camera. You have to work on them more in LR I've found, unless I'm doing something wrong?

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:19 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightroom 5 now available

dhphoto wrote:
But the colours, the contrast curves and almost everything else is infinitely variable in LR, if you don't like it you can just change it

True, though i sometimes find i am fighting the software rather than having it work with me. I find all the canned profiles to be very contrasty in the midtones and upper midtones and ACR does seem overly heavy on yellow. Even using my colour checker doesn't seem to fix this fully (and there is the hassle of carrying it everywhere and taking sample shots all the time). Correcting these things in software takes time, and sometimes i just can't do it. Certainly for portraits i don't bother with LR any more - i just open them up in Capture One as the default rendering is much much more flattering - better skintones and a much "softer" default contrast.

Of course for other stuff, the Adobe rendering is really great - i prefer it for landscapes for example.

A lot of my lenses aren't available with DLO either

I also have that problem with my favourite 70-200mm f/2.8 non IS

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:52 PM
slee915
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lightroom 5 now available

Will a box+disc version be available in stores like amazon ?

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Copypaste
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lightroom 5 now available

15Bit wrote:
Those of you who have it, how is the performance relative to v4? Does it still have slowdowns and lag with certain tools, or is it smoother to use?

It runs very smooth on my iMac 2013 mod. (Top specced). I'd say it feels faster and smoother than LR4. However, I don't run it full screen. With the high retina resolution it slows down a bit. Clone tool can lag a bit in fullscreen. Overall I'm happy with the upgrade and the new tools. And the splash screen looks so much fresher!

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:29 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lightroom 5 now available

15Bit wrote:

ACR gets more fine detail and better micro-contrast and has much nicer, less heavy-handed NR and doesn't get the nasty DPP zipper artifacts and can retrieve more highlights and the sliders for brightness/contrast/etc. are SOOOO much more powerful starting with the ACR CS6 version than any slider in DPP. SOOOOOOOOO much more powerful!

DPP has less color moire artifacts though by far and sometimes less red-jaggies (I think, have to recheck the last one) and often a bit better colors.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lightroom 5 now available

Can you order upgrade version from B&H?

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lightroom 5 now available

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Can you order upgrade version from B&H?

Yes, but right now only electronically:

Adobe Lightroom 5 at B&H Photo

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lightroom 5 now available

dhphoto wrote:
I've never understood this thinking.

I have used DPP many many times, I still have the latest version on my PC for when I want to do a quick conversion, but LR is just so much better, more versatile and with so many more features and abilities I have never done a conversion in DPP which touched it's LR equivalent.

Yes, I use gradient fills, local adjustments, selective sharpening and all the other things LR does that DPP doesn't but I just don't see the results from DPP are as good.

DPP is decent enough seeing it's free, but that's about all I can say on a positive - it's not very good at extracting very fine detail. It's horrible to use and has a terrible interface. Canon really needs to employ some good UI software people.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lightroom 5 now available

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, but right now only electronically:

Adobe Lightroom 5 at B&H Photo

Fred unless I'm missing something that only shows full version and student version, no upgrade version. I don't care about electronic download, don't need a physical disc.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lightroom 5 now available

To anyone...what is the best way to transfer ALL photos from LR4 to LR5? I'm somewhat familiar with catalogs, and have done it up til now, but I thought if anyone has a detailed explanation...I would love it!!!
Thank you very much in advance!
Gregg

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Cgb628

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Lightroom 5 now available

Greggf wrote:
To anyone...what is the best way to transfer ALL photos from LR4 to LR5? I'm somewhat familiar with catalogs, and have done it up til now, but I thought if anyone has a detailed explanation...I would love it!!!
Gregg

Just install LR5 and open it up. It knew where my current catalog was.

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Lightroom 5 now available

Greggf wrote:
Gregg

When you open LR5 the first time, it will ask you what catalog to use. Select your LR4 cat. It will create a new LR5 catalog by modifying the LR4 cat. I'm assuming you had all your photos in one cat for LR4.

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Copypaste
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Lightroom 5 now available

Greggf wrote:
Gregg

LR5 did it automatically for me during setup/installation. I've got all my photos in one catalogue in LR4, and all got imported to LR5. I picked up editing just where I was!

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Lightroom 5 now available

^^^^^^thank you gentlemen for the info. I had been importing photos into LR5 beta to try out, so initially it wouldn't just import the catalog. But, I was able to get all LR4 photos into 5, and I was able to add the 5 beta photos, also.
Thank you all very much!
Gregg

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:40 PM
RichFisher
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Lightroom 5 now available

Started to install LR 5 shortly after midnight last night. When I got in the morning it was still processing my library - 180K images on a drobo (USB3.0 interface). Metadata is kept in side cars, perhaps that is why it took so long? Eventually completed around dinner this evening.

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:45 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Lightroom 5 now available

I split my catalog into 3 year groupings so they are not too large.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Lightroom 5 now available

RichFisher wrote:
Started to install LR 5 shortly after midnight last night. When I got in the morning it was still processing my library - 180K images on a drobo (USB3.0 interface). Metadata is kept in side cars, perhaps that is why it took so long? Eventually completed around dinner this evening.

Mine is about 350k images. Also on a Drobo with e-Sata interface. It has processed my library/cataloge for 17 hours now. It still have about 1/3 left.
I think it's time to split my catalog

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.