Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · can someone educate me on wide color gamut?
esanchez
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · can someone educate me on wide color gamut?

I'm looking to replace my Dell 2209 with a 27" monitor. I was thinking the U2711 or the U2713h. From what I read these monitors have a wide color gamut (adobe RGB). I don't want to be worrying about using RGB and switching to srgb to look use applications that are not color aware. Can I use these monitors safely as just srgb monitors? My camera is set to srgb, work space in LR and PS is srgb, why would I want to run the monitor in RGB mode?

If the wide color gamut is enabled on the monitor must I switch the camera, LR and PS to RGB Mode so pictures look correct? Or can the camera, LR and PS still be used on srgb color space...kinda confused on this. Don't want to buy the monitor if I'll have to be bouncing between srgb and RGB to take full advantage of the wide color gamut that I don't know if I need or not.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:02 AM
BobCollette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · can someone educate me on wide color gamut?

I don't know if either of these monitors has the ability to limit the color gamut to "standard" (sRGB) gamut (switch selectable between normal & wide gamut). If they do, then you can leave the monitor in sRGB mode, although that defeats the purpose of buying a wide gamut monitor.

If the monitor is running in wide gamut mode, images in AdobeRGB should look correct (or nearly correct) when viewed in a non-color managed application. sRGB images (your camera images and most internet images) will look overly saturated when viewed in a non-color managed application.

If you are viewing images in a color managed application (e.g. Photoshop or Thunderbird web browser), they should look correct as long as they are tagged (correct profile embedded in image).

My personal opinion is that, since you're working in an sRGB world (camera & LR/PS), I would suggest sticking with a normal gamut monitor. A wide gamut monitor won't show you anything more than a normal gamut monitor since your images are in sRGB color space (any additional color information beyond sRGB is already lost).

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · can someone educate me on wide color gamut?

The general feeling I get from your post is that a standard sRGB monitor would probably be best for you. Check out the Dell U2713HM. It is actually ranked higher than the U2713H on most review sites for over-all quality and performance. It is also cheaper.

Reasons for considering a wide-gamut monitor would be:
- You do printing on wide-gamut printers (ink jets, for example; NOT normal photo lab type machines).
- You just want to be able to see more colors accurately on your monitor (more-or-less for fun/hobby, in other words).

The U2713H does have an sRGB mode you can enable for non-color-managed applications but as Bob mentioned, if you are always going to use it in sRGB mode then you are paying extra for something you are not using.

Also, if you are a gamer, the U2713H apparently does NOT use the sRGB mode when in the high-performance Game mode so colors in games will likely be off. Many buyers of this monitor are probably not using it for gaming but it is still annoying that Dell didn't implement this properly. This is just one of several things that gives me the impression that Dell has some great hardware in these monitors but cuts corners where the firmware is concerned. Another example is the backlight uniformity compensation, which seems to be broken on all of Dell's recent monitors (luckily the out-of-the-box uniformity does not seem to be too bad, particularly on the U2713HM).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713h.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2013/review-dell-u2713h.html
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-dell-u2713hm.html

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · can someone educate me on wide color gamut?

If you use sRGB as your working color space in PS, colors from your capture will automatically be clipped to fit into the sRGB space when you import images if you set up your import options appropriately. With LR you can't set a working space (it uses a default space which is wide gamut very similar to ProPhoto RGB). However, you can always export your images to sRGB for output.

That being said, I would advise you to work within a bigger space like Adobe or ProPhoto. You can always export an image to sRGB while working within the bigger space, but the reverse is not possible.

If the wide color gamut is enabled on the monitor must I switch the camera, LR and PS to RGB Mode so pictures look correct? Or can the camera, LR and PS still be used on srgb color space...kinda confused on this. Don't want to buy the monitor if I'll have to be bouncing between srgb and RGB to take full advantage of the wide color gamut that I don't know if I need or not.

Assuming your monitor has been calibrated and profiled, and the profile has been loaded properly into the OS, your images will be displayed accurately on the monitor by any Adobe color managed software you use, within the limitations of the monitor's gamut. Having a wide gamut display will help in this regard because your capture device (camera) may be capable of recording colors that are fall outside the sRGB space and cannot be displayed properly on a monitor that only covers the sRGB gamet.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:25 PM
esanchez
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · can someone educate me on wide color gamut?

Thank you for the input. I been reading on the Dell monitors it seems they make both wide gamut and non wide gamut in 27" inch the U2713H wide gamut and the U2713HM NOT wide gamut and in 24" the U2412M NOT wide gamut and the 24" U2413 wide gamut. If I don't want to deal and have no use for for wide gamut I should just stick with normal gamut monitors. My current Dell 2209 are normal gamut monitors srgb and I'm totally happy with them. I assume I will be happy with the either Dell normal gamut monitor....

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · can someone educate me on wide color gamut?

The working colour space space of your software is independent of the colour space that you use for your files and the colour gamut of the monitor and of the camera. You will use a calibration and profile to get a best possible match between the files and what you see on the monitor, and although you could use a separate profile for a best match between camera and file they are generally ok.

Best to capture images into raw files so that you do not through away data that won't fit into the sRGB color space. That includes a lot of bright colours and dark colours.

- Alan

Jun 16, 2013 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password