1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Spaabeck

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

sedohr wrote:
Thanks cputeq.

Ironically, the eBay seller is standing by his "no returns" policy despite me sending quite a detailed request to him with sample photos. I guess some people feel they can sell junk and as long as they claim "no returns" they are protected. I don't think eBay will agree with that line of thinking come the 26th when the 3-day waiting period expires and they will step in on the return request. Your photos will help the cause.

I am trying to work out a similar issue with returning a camera body which arrived displaying a "shutter error". I researched EBAY returns quite a bit and found that there really is no such thing as seller "No Returns" on EBAY if you received a defective purchase or something other than as described.

The main downside is that they give the seller a lot of time before EBAY forces them to do the right thing. Just be sure to initiate the EBAY/PayPal return process and do all of your communication through EBAY messaging. Similarly they have a mechanism for you to upload your photos for proof. Also do not threaten to leave bad seller feedback as this is an EBAY no-no. Wait until you have received your refund and then leave it otherwise it is considered badgering.

Good luck!

Dec 23, 2014 at 07:48 AM
sedohr

p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Thanks for the tips. Fortunately, in my 15 years on eBay I've had very few sellers like this guy. eBay/PayPal does an excellent job, I my opinion, in protecting their buyers. Sometimes it does take a while, but that's worth it to me to have the confidence to buy at sometimes ridiculously cheap prices.

This guy doesn't have a leg to stand on but he feels his policy is ironclad. I told him I'd (well, eBay acting as MY agent) will "be in touch soon."

Hope your issue is resolved quickly.

Randy
Ohio

Dec 23, 2014 at 09:32 AM
Spaabeck

p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

sedohr wrote:
Thanks for the tips. Fortunately, in my 15 years on eBay I've had very few sellers like this guy. eBay/PayPal does an excellent job, I my opinion, in protecting their buyers. Sometimes it does take a while, but that's worth it to me to have the confidence to buy at sometimes ridiculously cheap prices.

This guy doesn't have a leg to stand on but he feels his policy is ironclad. I told him I'd (well, eBay acting as MY agent) will "be in touch soon."

Hope your issue is resolved quickly.

Randy
Ohio

My guy finally came through and I got a refund!

Just so I keep the thread on the OPs topic, do you know if the non-macro version of this lens has the same wonderful IQ?

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:45 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

good deal :0)

I don't know about the non-macro version, though maybe Dyxum.com has information about both versions.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM
sedohr

p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Spaabeck wrote:
Just so I keep the thread on the OPs topic, do you know if the non-macro version of this lens has the same wonderful IQ?

I did some pretty extensive research and found no difference between the two models. The non-macro version is the one Leica branded under their own name.

BTW, I received a 2nd copy of the lens today and was able to prove the previous copy is def flawed. Really impressed with the lens on the a7r after only using it for a couple shots today.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:31 PM
sedohr

p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

These were shot at 50mm f8, Sony a7r. Choose your preference - B&W or color.

http://tlrer.com/a7r/md35_70/Min_MD_35_70_Col.jpg

http://tlrer.com/a7r/md35_70/Min_MD_35_70_BW.jpg

Edited on Dec 27, 2014 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:37 PM
AJRubenstein

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Hey guys,

Curious about this lens as I have one on the way. I shoot through Minolta Primes often on my GH4 using the Speedbooster from Metabones, which is a glass adapter that focuses the image and corrects it for smaller sensors, improving IQ, aperture and width. It's wonderful. But the adapter page suggests that this lens won't fit on the adapter without modification of the aperture lever. Can anyone suggest to me why this is the case, if they have one of these lenses?

Thanks,
Allan.

Dec 27, 2014 at 07:46 AM
harvey steeves
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

to sedohr, personally, I like the black and white - would look good as a decent sized metal print.

Dec 27, 2014 at 09:13 AM
timballic
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

bvphotos wrote:
The serial number on my OM lens is 204551. What does that tell you?

BTW, I was able to buy an MD 35-70/3.5 today. I'm going to compare the copies I have of the MD and OM lenses. It will be unscientific, but I'll update with my findings.

.......only that it is older than ones I've tried, 240...., 220... and now 230... ;o)

I received my third copy today....+fungus, loose focus ring and "rattly" front elements! (Described as "Very Good") Doh!
You did well to get a good copy, and cheaply.

I'm looking forward to your comparison now, mine is obviously on long "hold"!

Dec 27, 2014 at 09:42 AM
sedohr

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

harvey steeves wrote:
to sedohr, personally, I like the black and white - would look good as a decent sized metal print.

Thanks Harvey. I had a Groupon left over for an 8x10 metal so I sent the B&W off to see how it looks. Not that an 8x10 will do this justice, but the price was right.

The MD 35-70 Macro proved itself yesterday. I'm having a blast shooting these vintage, sharp lenses on a state of the art body. Kinda unusual... like me.

I've got the MD 45-200 f4.5 waiting for me at work. Can't wait to give that one a whirl.

Randy
Ohio

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:09 AM
harvey steeves
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

I think I have to find one … or two.

Dec 27, 2014 at 06:11 PM
reprazent1
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Can anyone point me to a disassembly guide of some sort for this lens?
Love this lens, but the ones I've encountered all had loose focusrings. Hoping to improve mine.

Feb 25, 2015 at 05:31 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Bought one of these locally on a whim from what I've seen and read here, got the one that appears to be identical to the leica version. Pretty good lens, my Mino 28-135mm f4-4.5 is sharper stopped down, and wide open my Canon nFD 35-70mm f4 is a lot better (I have a bizarrely good copy of that lens though). Probably going to sell it, how much do these things go for? As far as I remember my initial tests showed it to be pretty clean inside, will have to double check tonight

Feb 25, 2015 at 07:34 PM
Nexed
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

I just got this lens. Still getting the hang of it, and I'll be first to admit that my skills with manual lenses need honing, but I'm very pleased with it. All pics with the a6000

© Nexed 2014

© Nexed 2014

© Nexed 2014

© Nexed 2014

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:03 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Nexed wrote:
I just got this lens. Still getting the hang of it, and I'll be first to admit that my skills with manual lenses need honing, but I'm very pleased with it. All pics with the a6000

Very cool and nice shots Be sure to take down your WTB for this lens, unless you're looking for another!

(yes, yes, I actually just searched for this here and found your thread...I regret selling mine!)

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:39 PM
Nexed
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Thanks! Taken down the WTB. Hope you find a copy soon. Prices do seem to be going up for this lens.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:50 AM
Clearwater a7r
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

From the Florida Botanical Gardens (Largo, FL)
on the SONY A7S:

http://savel.smugmug.com/Photography/Flora/Florida-Botanical-Gardens-with/i-nSHp6gM/0/X2/DSC02155-X2.jpg

http://savel.smugmug.com/Photography/Flora/Florida-Botanical-Gardens-with/i-sSqMPLw/0/X2/DSC02165-X2.jpg

http://savel.smugmug.com/Photography/Flora/Florida-Botanical-Gardens-with/i-2zbjZMr/0/X2/DSC02167-X2.jpg

http://savel.smugmug.com/Photography/Flora/Florida-Botanical-Gardens-with/i-3FqPfPt/0/X2/DSC02170-X2.jpg

http://savel.smugmug.com/Photography/Flora/Florida-Botanical-Gardens-with/i-GJcXVT5/0/X2/DSC02180-X2.jpg

http://savel.smugmug.com/Photography/Flora/Florida-Botanical-Gardens-with/i-T2CWHKn/0/X2/DSC02199-X2.jpg

http://savel.smugmug.com/Photography/Flora/Florida-Botanical-Gardens-with/i-VFLfpSR/0/X2/DSC02177-X2.jpg

http://savel.smugmug.com/Photography/Flora/Florida-Botanical-Gardens-with/i-Bgjr34h/0/X2/DSC02168-X2.jpg

Apr 04, 2015 at 09:33 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

Clearwater a7r wrote:
From the Florida Botanical Gardens (Largo, FL)
on the SONY A7S:

Very cool bokeh on the first shot Love that lens!

Apr 04, 2015 at 08:40 PM
Clearwater a7r
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

thanks for the kind words
as folks have mentioned previously the lens LOVES backlit subjects with filtered light in the background
i'm glad i finally found one for myself

Apr 04, 2015 at 11:52 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Ode to a lens - Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro

I've not used mine yet but it did test quite well - the wide end at the edges is the only weak area.

Apr 05, 2015 at 07:23 AM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.