Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Arches National Park

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arches National Park

I was fortunate enough to spend 5 days in Arches National Park with my father. He is getting a little older every year, and I was really glad we got to see this iconic place before he isn't able to endure the physical effort that a place like this requires. Icon or not, I am glad I got to see it in my lifetime...we don't have places like this in Georgia. Any comments or crits are more than welcome, and very appreciated. Thanks for looking.

TR

EDIT: on Page 3 is a revised version of #1...I didn't want to replace it in the OP...

#1 Tower Arch Portal

#2 Park Avenue Swirl

#3 Star Trails over Delicate Arch

#5 Stars over the Three Gossips

#5 Courthouse Wash Panorama

Edited on Jun 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arches National Park

Think #1 is a really awesome shot... but is it off level? Or is that just the formation?

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arches National Park

moonpeep wrote:
Think #1 is a really awesome shot... but is it off level? Or is that just the formation?

Thank you. As best as I can level it based on the horizon, it leaves the formations that are sloped, leaning...and rotating loses the left edge of the arch....and then the horizon is off...

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:17 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arches National Park

Great set. Love #2 and 3. You got few unusual compositions here. Well done.
Harsha

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:18 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arches National Park

the first one is super and should be posted on BW forum.
regards, tom

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:22 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arches National Park

Hey Travis,

That is great that you got up there with your dad. That must have made for an extra special trip. #1 is my favorite, followed by #2. Nice work on this series.

And as for shooting Icons... they are icons for a reason, and I believe they were made to be seen, captured and appreciated. Otherwise, what's the point of that beauty?

Jim

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:32 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arches National Park

What a great set, especially since it was with dad.

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arches National Park

Great series Travis and what a great place to share with your dad. The clear favorite for me is #1, followed by #5.

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:53 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Arches National Park

1 is way above in this bunch. Great shot Visited for the 'first' time in March. Glad you got to share that with him

aF

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Arches National Park

holy cow...had no idea there were posts to this thread overnight...

harshaj1 wrote:
Great set. Love #2 and 3. You got few unusual compositions here. Well done.
Harsha

Thanks Harsha, I appreciate it. I did try to keep my eyes open to more than just the typical shots we have all seen of this place, it is hard to find anything that feels unique...I guess they are all unique to my collection.

tomandmarj wrote:
the first one is super and should be posted on BW forum.
regards, tom

Thanks Tom, I might post it over there, just didn't want to cross post to more forums than I should...I really don't post that much of my work outside the MA/WA, I never really feel like its good enough.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:47 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Arches National Park

JimFox wrote:
Hey Travis,

That is great that you got up there with your dad. That must have made for an extra special trip. #1 is my favorite, followed by #2. Nice work on this series.

And as for shooting Icons... they are icons for a reason, and I believe they were made to be seen, captured and appreciated. Otherwise, what's the point of that beauty?

Jim

Thanks so much for taking the time Jim, glad you like them. Yes, it was special to be there with dad...it is something we enjoy together, making up for lost time.

And I agree with you about the icons...they are why I went...and while many others have captured them, it was a first time for me, and I really enjoyed it.

IndyFab wrote:
What a great set, especially since it was with dad.

Thanks, it was time well spent, that is for sure.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:49 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Arches National Park

Tuan Le wrote:
Great series Travis and what a great place to share with your dad. The clear favorite for me is #1, followed by #5.

Thank you Tuan Le, glad to see that #5 worked for someone, it is one of my favorites from the trip...probably because we had so few clouds to work with, that when we actually had some we were excited!

aFeinberg wrote:
1 is way above in this bunch. Great shot Visited for the 'first' time in March. Glad you got to share that with him

aF

Hey Aaron, thank you so much for the comments, very encouraging. This was my first trip, and one day I hope to go back, maybe when my daughter is old enough, hopefully she will enjoy the outdoors and photography like I do.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:52 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Arches National Park

Travis these are all interesting interpretations from Arches. I like number one, but I think the best is your capture in Park Avenue. I'd never have an eye for something like that. Good catch!

As far as your dad, you are lucky you had this time here with him. I'll be traveling back to Illinois the end of this week to see my dad. A trip like yours would be out of the question for him.

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Arches National Park

ckcarr wrote:
Travis these are all interesting interpretations from Arches. I like number one, but I think the best is your capture in Park Avenue. I'd never have an eye for something like that. Good catch!

As far as your dad, you are lucky you had this time here with him. I'll be traveling back to Illinois the end of this week to see my dad. A trip like yours would be out of the question for him.

Hi Craig, good to hear from the local expert, thank you for taking the time to comment, I do appreciate it.

The Park Avenue shot, that was a team effort, as were were walking through the wash we both kind of saw the rock, and then dad saw the cool patterns on the right side, so I re-adjusted to include those more.

...the story leading up to that one...we decided to walk up Park Ave at the end of the day, we were both exhausted, our day started at 4AM...10 minutes prior to this shot, the wind blew over my tripod...with the 5DII and 17-40L on it...it landed in a patch of sand IN the wash...a foot either side they were both goners...but it still works, needs a cleaning and a new battery door, but it still works.

We took this trip while we still could, each year our little trips get harder and harder for him, the first night in the park we hiked to Delicate Arch and I wasn't sure he was going to get to the top...I would have carried his pack too to make sure he got up there.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:05 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Arches National Park

An excellent set, Travis.
And kudos for taking your dad on such an adventure.
I'm an example of the old guy who can't get around much any more . Luckily, I got around a LOT in earlier years. Including Arches.
About #1. There probably isn't a perfect answer to the "level" question.
That desert country is confusing at best. You have all those parallel lines of layered sandstones, but plate tektonics has tilted much of it. So what IS level? Often what is level doesn't LOOK level.
How about this? Rotate the image so that it looks the BEST to YOUR eyes?
It's what I think of as "perceived level," and it's often as important to an image as "real" level.
Just $.02 of course .
Charlie

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Arches National Park

I love the uniqueness of 1 and 3. Great work here.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Arches National Park

Charlie Shugart wrote:
An excellent set, Travis.
And kudos for taking your dad on such an adventure.
I'm an example of the old guy who can't get around much any more . Luckily, I got around a LOT in earlier years. Including Arches.
About #1. There probably isn't a perfect answer to the "level" question.
That desert country is confusing at best. You have all those parallel lines of layered sandstones, but plate tektonics has tilted much of it. So what IS level? Often what is level doesn't LOOK level.
How about this? Rotate the image so that it looks the BEST to YOUR eyes?
It's what I
...Show more
Hi Charlie, I appreciate your comments an insight. Geology does play a big part, and I guess we can't trust anything to be level in places like this. I guess I really just need to get comfy with what I feel is level...your input in the b&w section helps that. Thanks again for your detailed input.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Arches National Park

Mark Metternich wrote:
I love the uniqueness of 1 and 3. Great work here.

Thank you very much Mark, appreciate the kind words from you and all the more talented than me folks here.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:05 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Arches National Park

Wonderful set here, Travis.

Even though the 1st looks a little off. It still works real nice. I can't pick a favorite from this fine bunch.

JBR

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Arches National Park

Awesome set! Love the night shots and the B&W conversion and long exposure on the your first.
My only suggestion for the first image: Even though it appears to be level, my perception is that the image needs to be rotated a few degrees CW.
Fred

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.