Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digita...

LizWangPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

JohnBrose wrote:
All of the bodies mentioned have been "battle tested" They all performed well and did what they were designed for when they were(are) in use. AF ability is not the #1 quality that many if not most film photographers were worried about. This is probably due to the majority of the users of the cameras being used to manually focusing their cameras and being more adept at timing their pictures. I don't have much experience with Nikon bodies, but I know the later Canon 1 series bodies were very good at focusing, but probably not quite up to current technology
...Show more

Having shot Canon/Nikon/Sony seems like the fast moving subjects movin directly towards you is when most AF systems get fooled- focus behind or in front. To me, probably the most trying of all AF situations at a wedding. In a dark reception you always have an assist beam or can use a video light.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM
ZoneV_Nikon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Liz,

I have never used the D2-series or F6 (cameras with Multi-CAM 2000 module). But I've used the D1-series for 8 years for PJ, shooting everything from Division 1 hockey to flowers. One of my friends is a wedding photographer and I sometimes help out.

I recently added an F100.

My conclusion is this: The D1-series and F100 are great if you're the sort of shooter who picks their AF target manually. I'm not a fan of the the dynamic AF with only 5 sensors, except under very specific circumstances. I imagine that the F6 setup would cater better to those who prefer dynamic AF, as the D200 (11 sensors but a slightly different arrangement) is more useful in this mode.

The F6 has its outer AF points near to the rule-of-thirds positions, so again, if you manually select AF sensors 50% of the time, it would be a great choice. The F100, (again going solely by AF, which is not really fair to these excellent cameras) would be a good choice if you manually select sensors 75% of the time.

Nikon and Canon each use a different philosophy. Canon sensors (especially in the 45-pt. systems) tend to be smaller, and geared toward making auto switchover between sensors in the heat of action (what Nikon calls dynamic AF) more fluid. Nikon AF sensors are larger and less densely packed intentionally, (comparing the F100 or F6 to the EOS-1v or EOS 3), and are therefore better suited to manual selection of AF sensors.

By the way, AF assist beams do not work with AF tracking (servo or continuous predictive tracking AF). At least not on Nikon.

Edited on Jun 13, 2013 at 08:03 PM · View previous versions

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:24 PM
LizWangPhotog
• • •
p.2 #3 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Thanks- I usually pick my AF point manually- which is what makes the Nikon more desirable than Canon. Canon, to pick your point on the fly, you have to activate a mode, select, then focus.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZoneV_Nikon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Liz,

The only other thing worth mentioning-

If you use a lot of flash, the two bodies have different flash systems. The F6 uses iTTL like DSLR bodies. The F100 uses the older 3D Multisensor balanced TTL, which requires older flash units like the SB-25 or SB-28. It doesn't offer wireless.

Now hold on before you dismiss it. I actually prefer the older system. The TTL flash metering is extremely accurate and predictable/repeatable when you apply flash compensation. It also doesn't have that slight shutter delay you have with iTTL. It just fires, instantaneously.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:09 PM
hlavo
• •
p.2 #5 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Having read the thread thus far, I wonder WHY you want to shoot film if an action camera is what you want. Nothing in the film world comes close to the Nikon D3s you already have when it comes to nailing action. If you want better color, dynamic range, etc. (things that film might offer) upgrade to a D4.

Jun 15, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

The D2 series has excellent AF and tracking. There are 9 cross type sensors and two vertical sensors in landscape orientation. On the F6, obviously, they will be too centred, as I don't expect anything out to the edges. However, I'd expect the F6 to be quite capable as far as AF is concerned.

BTW I've used D1 series and the D2 series blows away the AF. I feel that the D2 bodies are better at locking on than the D300. The D3 is the first AF system that beats the D2.

Complete OT but I always say that if they put a D7k sensor in the D2 bodies, it would be a completely awesome DX camera. Except they won't do it. But one can always dream.

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:03 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password