Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digita...

LizWangPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

I've been eyeing a return to film and the F6 is intriguing because it seems to be reviewed as a "reliable" AF system. I want to move slow, so I'm still shooting with a D3s and D800e because at the end of the day my first priority is having a reliable AF and predictable results. But for those F6 and F100 shooters- can I do everything AF wise that I can do with my D3s or even a D700? Can I reliably shoot a fast moving processional, like a ring bearer booking down the aisle, or a really dark processional with little visibility? The D3s is almost flawless and the D800 is not bad.

Advice? F6 or F100?

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Chestnut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

I believe the F6 has the same AF module as the D2-series DSLRs.

The F100 is much older... but mine are still running strong. (simple 5-point AF)

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:11 PM
LizWangPhotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Maybe showing my youth, but I haven't shot with the D2 series...

For wedding photographers, any areas of the day where the F6 struggles?

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:15 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Buy a Canon EOS 1v or EOS 3. lol......Coming from a Nikon Shooter.

If not, buy an F6....."most advanced" AF for a nikon film body....but still not as good as the Canon 45 point AF of the 1v..

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:23 PM
LizWangPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

What I don't like about the Canon series is you have a two step process to select your focus point where Nikon has a joystick to pick a focus point quickly. In reality with the 1v, when the subject is in motion, I end up using the center point which is not always ideal for composition.

Are you saying the all-focus point AF is reliable even wide open?

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:34 PM
kyrc

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Nikon F6 has RGB light meter and support for Nikon CLS which has i-TTL. Besides that it is built like a bank vault (F100 has plastic rewind fork), and it has low mirror/shutter vibration and low mirror blackout time.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM
LizWangPhotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

kyrc wrote:
Nikon F6 has RGB light meter and support for Nikon CLS which has i-TTL. Besides that it is built like a bank vault (F100 has plastic rewind fork), and it has low mirror/shutter vibration and low mirror blackout time.

Thanks- just selfishly to keep this on topic, I'm really more concerned about the AF.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Stdon
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

F4

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM
frankpetronio
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Having only used an F100, the AF tracking is rudimentary. I haven't used the F6 but if the D2x has similar AF, it won't be nearly as good as the bodies you're used to.

I'm a film user but the big difference is going to be ISO capabilities... You're going to need all your skill and then some to focus down the aisle, etc. and you're probably better off focusing manually and learning how to anticipate and zone focus. That's how it was done, albeit with lower percentages or more tolerance of keepers.

Perhaps practice manually focusing your current gear or mix film/digital?

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:12 AM
LizWangPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

frankpetronio wrote:
Having only used an F100, the AF tracking is rudimentary. I haven't used the F6 but if the D2x has similar AF, it won't be nearly as good as the bodies you're used to.

I'm a film user but the big difference is going to be ISO capabilities... You're going to need all your skill and then some to focus down the aisle, etc. and you're probably better off focusing manually and learning how to anticipate and zone focus. That's how it was done, albeit with lower percentages or more tolerance of keepers.

Perhaps practice manually focusing your current gear or
...Show more

Thanks for the advice. I have noticed that in my few tests the Canon 1V is pretty good

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

If you are after a film look, why not get either a Hassleblad or a Bronica 645 (ETRSi)? No AF, but the image quality is considerably better. I wouldn't fool around with 35mm at all.

Kent in SD

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:34 AM
LizWangPhotog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Two23 wrote:
If you are after a film look, why not get either a Hassleblad or a Bronica 645 (ETRSi)? No AF, but the image quality is considerably better. I wouldn't fool around with 35mm at all.

Kent in SD

I'm after an action camera, I already have a Contax 645 if my subject is not moving too fast.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

I actually had a F100 that I had to return to the ebay seller since it had a corroded battery compartment that kept it from powering on. Luckily the return was hassle free. I did however decide to pick up a F5 instead of finding another F100. The F5 was wonderful! Matrix metering was top notch, but it did have two drawbacks in that the focus points are very difficult to see (if you don't move them around much, then it won't be a problem). Second drawback was the weight. Your stuck with the full size body which I like, but sometimes when I want to go hiking, it's nice to ditch a grip and go smaller.

I just recently moved up to an F6. What an awesome film camera!!! The F6 goes very nice with my D700 and I switch between them with ease. Custom settings on the F6 makes it all worth it if you use them. F100 and F5 have kind of criptic methods that were somewhat of a pain to use. I cannot compare focus speed F100 vs F6, but I do find the F6 just slightly better than my F5.

Price-wise, there is a HUGE difference as you are probably already aware. It all depends how much you are going to shoot film. Some might say $1000 is too much for a film camera these days, but look how much people are paying for Leica M6/M7? Yeah, the Leica is a solid brick, but the F6 is right there with it AND much more capable camera.

For casual film shooting, but the F100 should work just fine, but if you can spare it, the F6 is a dream!

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:19 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Stdon wrote:
F4

Or FM2N... same AF performance as the F4.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

F5/F6 I own an F5 and used an F6 more then a few times. still prefer the F5.

on the F4. I also have an F4s and I refer to it as a great manual focus camera with AF assist.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:58 PM
frankpetronio
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

People tend to respond differently to different cameras.

After using the F100 for a few periods, which I liked, I went further back to a manual F3 body and AI lenses. Not only are they a bargain, but the experience of using an F3 with lever winding and real knobs is sufficiently different to change the results compared to what you'd get from shooting a modern AF film body that so closely mimics the DSLR experience. What's the big advantage of using 35mm film if the camera is going to be handling almost the same as a typical DSLR? You might just as well throw film-like filters on your digital images since you'll be shooting at the same speed and focusing performance as a mid-2000s digital body. People won't respond much differently to either body and the results won't be much different other than having a "film palette" or bragging rights....

With a manually-focused and -wound body, you're going to miss some of the action and probably not have the skill to anticipate every focusing situation. But at the same time, you'll be working at a slower pace with more intimacy, which might present new photo opportunities that you wouldn't likely get with the rapid-fire beastly pro-DSLR.

Same as will medium and large-format film cameras. Shooting a Hasselblad H-series with the film or digital backs doesn't feel much different for the sitter, but being shot with a Rollei twin-lens is a much different experience for the subject.

Anyway film is great but I don't think anyone needs to be a purist. I easily mix film formats and digital images in my portfolios and it still flows because of subject matter, not what camera was used. The camera choice is really for the photographers' benefit, the customers hardly care unless you look like a rube or it breaks.

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:32 PM
LizWangPhotog
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

frankpetronio wrote:
People tend to respond differently to different cameras.

After using the F100 for a few periods, which I liked, I went further back to a manual F3 body and AI lenses. Not only are they a bargain, but the experience of using an F3 with lever winding and real knobs is sufficiently different to change the results compared to what you'd get from shooting a modern AF film body that so closely mimics the DSLR experience. What's the big advantage of using 35mm film if the camera is going to be handling almost the same as a typical DSLR? You
...Show more

Frank, that's a good point- I mainly want to shoot film for the workflow. I shoot some medium format, which I don't think can be matched by any current digital SLR including the S2 or 645d, so it's difficult to mix and match in PP. When I get my film back, I want to be able to send the prints off to the client, instead of uploading and sorting my film images with my digital ones, especially since there is not a digital timestamp on the scan.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Stdon
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

My point exactly. If one is going to fool around with 35mm go with the body that's been battle tested. Didn't seem to hurt those guys any.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM
LizWangPhotog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

Stdon wrote:
My point exactly. If one is going to fool around with 35mm go with the body that's been battle tested. Didn't seem to hurt those guys any.

Which one is that? =P

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon F6 or F100? Need reliable AF, comparable to digital SLR. Thoughts?

All of the bodies mentioned have been "battle tested" They all performed well and did what they were designed for when they were(are) in use. AF ability is not the #1 quality that many if not most film photographers were worried about. This is probably due to the majority of the users of the cameras being used to manually focusing their cameras and being more adept at timing their pictures. I don't have much experience with Nikon bodies, but I know the later Canon 1 series bodies were very good at focusing, but probably not quite up to current technology and I'm guessing that is the case with the Nikon bodies also. I'm guessing most would be plenty good enough to handle a kid running down the isle of a church though-that's not real trying for a focusing system. I did fine with capturing that for many years with manual focus medium format equipment-I just didn't get 100 exposures of it.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password