Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

Frank_Maiello
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

sjms wrote:
Ok, if you say so.

"Looks like," and "I don't know," aren't exactly terms for "saying so."

My suspicion however is that this consideration might be reflected in Nikon's attitude about manufacturing a new pancake lens. Additionally, I'm not sure Nikon would be keen on producing an optically compromised SLR lens just to make it tiny. They've been out of the "lens character" business for a while.

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Berschwinger
• •
p.2 #2 · If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

My thought is they already attempted to address this with the Nikon 1 line. Give me a large sensor compact with a fast lens and D700 controls and I'd be first in line.

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:13 PM
DontShoot
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

Think about it as a body cap that can shoot pics. Sign me up!!

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:45 PM
henryp
• • •
p.2 #4 · If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

j.liam wrote:
Henry, why would you quote cRockwell on this? It is one of those rarified instances he doesn't think it's "the greatest, bestest lens ever, ever!!".

It was late and I needed a reference for the lens, preferably with a picture. Suited my purpose.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

Frank_Maiello wrote:
With the proliferation of high quality mirror-less cameras, it looks like there are better solutions for going small these days. A pancake lens on an SLR is still a large camera, so I donít know that theyíre such attractive solutions anymore.

(Jemfinch, think "flapjack.")

But, when you already have a FX camera and you still want to go small and light a pancake makes sense - especially if you don't need f/1.4 or f/2 speed.
I bought the 45/2.8P and it makes the D800 much more "carry-able" than having even the 50/1.8G on it because it now can be tucked under your arm without the lens hardly sticking out past the hand grip.

For me, it's not the DSLR body that makes things inconvenient to carry - it's the lens sticking out that get's in the way and makes things bulky and at times unwieldy.

I have a GH-2 as well and the 12-35/2.8 that's mounted to which at times makes it nearly as inconvenient to carry as my D800 + 24-85VR (though it weighs a heck of a lot less).

So, yes a pancake lens on a DSLR is still a large camera, but it's still much smaller than the non-pancake lens, which is what counts.

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:51 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2 #6 · If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

I for my part don't really need a 40mm-pancake lens, but a new series of compact lenses (similar to the DA Limited series from Pentax) would be a great addition to Nikon's current lens-lineup.
A D5200 with it's swivel-screen and a really compact 15mm superwide plus a neat 70mm tele would make a nice travel-kit.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.2 #7 · If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

jhinkey wrote:
But, when you already have a FX camera and you still want to go small and light a pancake makes sense - especially if you don't need f/1.4 or f/2 speed.
I bought the 45/2.8P and it makes the D800 much more "carry-able" than having even the 50/1.8G on it because it now can be tucked under your arm without the lens hardly sticking out past the hand grip.

Good point, I canít argue with that. Personally, Iíve been wondering what a series of f/4 primes might look like in the 24mm and wider department for architectural and landscape use. My style of WA shooting doesnít make use of subject isolation, but if low distortion and light weight were design priorities ahead of lens speed, they might have a lot of appeal over my go-to 14-24.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:21 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · If Nikon made a 40mm pancake would there be interest?

Well, it looks like Canon can make a 40mm f/2.8 pancake that seems to work pretty well optically . . . .

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon-ef-40mm-f2-8-stm

Jun 12, 2013 at 02:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password