New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · SL1 NR

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SL1 NR

What do users of the SL1 think of its standard (not high ISO) JPG noise reduction?

It seems more "smudgy" to me than other Canon cameras and there's no way to adjust it, which means more manual RAW processing.

Jun 09, 2013 at 12:35 PM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SL1 NR

I've heard that Canon tweaks their JPEG engine depending on the intended user of the camera. The lower-end "consumer"/rebel lines tend to have somewhat increased saturation, contrast, and noise reduction in the jpeg files.

Jun 09, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SL1 NR

umihoshijima wrote:
I've heard that Canon tweaks their JPEG engine depending on the intended user of the camera. The lower-end "consumer"/rebel lines tend to have somewhat increased saturation, contrast, and noise reduction in the jpeg files.

That's true plus a wee bit more sharpening. Some Rebels shooters are not pleased when they upgrade to pro models and find they need to do more PP.

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SL1 NR

Just had a quick look through the SL1 user manual and for each one of the scene modes there is a way to customize the "detail settings" for sharpness, contrast, saturation, and tone. Plus there were some other things about vibrance and etc that I saw on the way past. These are under advanced settings but affect the jpeg conversion.

So, yes there is a way to adjust it.

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:02 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SL1 NR

For scene modes is nice, but I'm in AV mode 99% of the time...

Jun 09, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SL1 NR

alfarmer wrote:
For scene modes is nice, but I'm in AV mode 99% of the time...

I think he is preferring to the Picture Styles such as Standard, Landscape, Neutral, etc., used in the "Creative Zone" and not the "Basic Zone" modes such as Sports or Full Auto. The default Picture Style for the Creative Zone, including AV, is Standard. You can dive in the menus and adjust sharpness, contras, saturation and color tone to match your taste (or another camera): select picture style, press info and tweak away. You might want to scroll through the styles and select one nearest to your taste and save on tweak time.

To change NR, vist the C.Fn menu and, at least on my three EOS bodies, I can enable/disable or reduce NR for high ISO via the Image menu.

I don't shoot JPEGs but I have a custom Picture Style for LCD display only that more closely shows the true dyadic range of the RAW file (looks kinda flat).

Jun 09, 2013 at 07:05 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SL1 NR

Man, dunno how I missed that. Thanks!

Jun 09, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SL1 NR

Thanks for clarifying that Peter. I shoot raw only but was pretty sure my bodies had a means of adjusting the jpeg output. I needed to make sure this applied to the Rebel series as well. It looks like the SL1 provides, if anything, more control or options than the 5 series. I'd have to learn the difference between scene mode and picture styles however.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SL1 NR

Remember way back when you could only output jpg and had to put all the settings at 0 or -2 to avoid any excess loss due to jpg, and bring it all back with photoshop. Lol

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SL1 NR

kodakeos wrote:
Remember way back when you could only output jpg and had to put all the settings at 0 or -2 to avoid any excess loss due to jpg, and bring it all back with photoshop. Lol

How far back was that? Early 1990s with the Apple/Kodak cam? I got into digital a wee bit late in the game--2003--but even my 10D could shoot RAW and I often go back and reconvert those images since bot the software and my skills have improved in 10 years. I remember playing around with some of those strange hybrid EOS 1N/digital cams of the 1990s, the EOS D2000, and it output TIFF files.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.