FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Looking for second photog gigs

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for second photog gigs

I have a huge chunk of idle time in July, August and September (not to mention November and December) this year, so if anyone is willing to take me on as second I would welcome the chance to fill some dates.

**edit** please only consider me for paid second gigs. I would like to shoot for free, but at this time I just can't afford to.

Thank you.

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:00 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for second photog gigs

So I have this idea for a market.

It's a wedding day photography workshop. You know how amateurs are photographing friends and families weddings, usually for free of course. Well my idea is to offer my service as a second photographer/photography instructor. So I basically go with them and teach them how to photograph a wedding, tell them what to look for, how to compose the shot. Set up the formals for them, pose subjects, light them (likely with my own lighting) , light the reception. Teach them how to light as I'm going along. All the while taking my own shots which I of course hand over as well.

So they get a pro photographer photographing their friends/family members wedding, they get a crash course in wedding photography, portraiture and lighting. The shots are all set up for them so they just press the shutter and everyone is impressed with their skills. Which is really my skill but whatever.

So what do you think? Outside the obvious moral and ethical issues of people delivering photos they didn't really take/prep, you think there's a market for that? That amateurs would be willing to pay for that? I mean my thinking is there are so many inept wanna be wedding photographers out there that spend thousands renting lenses and buying equipment just to photograph their college roommates wedding (for free) that maybe they'd spend money on that too.

I got the idea because last summer when I was actually hired by a photographer to second shoot a wedding and that's exactly what the day turned into; me teaching her how to photograph a wedding.

Edited on Jun 09, 2013 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for second photog gigs

Ken, I think in the right market with the right photographer that could be a smashing idea. Unfortunately, I can imagine down here there's far too much ego in the way for you to find anyone who would pay you to work with them. They already think they know everything.

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:36 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for second photog gigs

Is this an elaborate way of saying that I am looking for good photographers to leech knowledge from while getting paid for it? I find that idea a bit offensive since I do not consider myself to be that type of person, nor was my motive for my post anything other than looking for more work.

I suppose part of me should be proud or flattered that you went through so much effort to write up such an elaborate slam just for me, but that feeling is overshadowed by my being pretty sure I'm getting verbally bashed without cause.

Do you have some grand right to pass judgment on me in such a harsh manner as if to express that you are somehow a superior being above me in value? What right do you invoke?

Of course, if I'm mistaken and you are only hijacking my thread for no accusatory reasons, then I withdraw my other statements and respectfully request the thread resume my original direction.

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:17 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for second photog gigs

it kind of looked like he was saying that you would be the one teaching the main, not the other way around.

Edited on Jun 09, 2013 at 03:26 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:21 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for second photog gigs

Well if that's the case, then that's not the case. Many of the photogs here know a lot more than me and I would have little to teach any of them. They know that too.

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:23 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for second photog gigs

form wrote:
respectfully request the thread resume my original direction.

Which is actually prohibited... https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/961946/

Not being a d*ck at all, just feel that the same rules should apply for everyone here.

-Jayson

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:28 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for second photog gigs

Ok, then I guess it needs deletion.

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:30 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for second photog gigs

form wrote:
Of course, if I'm mistaken and you are only hijacking my thread for no accusatory reasons, then I withdraw my other statements and respectfully request the thread resume my original direction.

It was in no way directed at you with any intent. I just posted because it was a legit idea that I had and figured this post was going to be deleted in like an hour. So if it's a stupid idea, it's not around forever.

Edited on Jun 09, 2013 at 05:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:18 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for second photog gigs

form wrote:
I have a huge chunk of idle time in July, August and September (not to mention November and December)

All those unbooked dates this year and yet people continue to harp on you about raising your prices.

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:34 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for second photog gigs

I don't know if price was a factor but I did raise my rates incrementally this year. Weddingwire also dropped nonpaying photogs from their search engine listings last year and that may have had an effect.

All those months were busier the previous years.

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:56 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for second photog gigs

D. Diggler wrote:
All those unbooked dates this year and yet people continue to harp on you about raising your prices.

Now we know what the D stands for.

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:37 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for second photog gigs

nolaguy wrote:
Now we know what the D stands for.

I think you missed my point.

I was saying imagine how off his bookings would have been if he had raised his prices as much as folks were saying he should! Sure, jack your prices up when it's not selling well at the current price.

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:05 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for second photog gigs

form wrote:
Weddingwire also dropped nonpaying photogs from their search engine listings last year and that may have had an effect.

Yeah, that could have something to do with it.

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for second photog gigs

D. Diggler wrote:
I was saying imagine how off his bookings would have been if he had raised his prices as much as folks were saying he should! Sure, jack your prices up when it's not selling well at the current price.

If Form raises his prices to a point where he's attracting people who value the talent he has instead of people who see photography as a commodity & photographers as stupid, he may indeed have less bookings. But he will earn more money in the aggregate, & will be a much more happy person.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. If you disagree, well, we'll still be loyal cyber-friends.

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:25 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for second photog gigs

Did you get business from Wedding Wire in the first place with the freebie listing? My client base does not use it at all so I never factor them in. I will also never pay their ridiculous fees when I read over and over in their pro forums how many do not get a return.

My weddings are the same but my portrait work has declined this past year. In the past two years hundred of photographers have popped up giving it all away and I just wont. I just stopped stressing it and do other works for fill in income now like my graphics work and crafts. Yea Im a craft geek. I will do what I gatta do to do what I love and stay self employed. (my weddings are just not there yet, only going into my third season)

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:43 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for second photog gigs

D. Diggler wrote:
I think you missed my point.

worked for me...

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:49 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.