Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              140       141       end

"MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

Sonoma farm country... shot with the 28-70 f/2.8 AF-s... years ago...

Jun 09, 2013 at 08:16 PM
georgms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

CGrindahl wrote:
Looks like a wonderful family outing Chuong. Stunning colors.

+1! I still hope to get a 17-35 one day, it would make a nice travel-companion for the 85/1.4 (or PC 85/2.8D).

Chris Dees wrote:
My latest subject (and probably for the coming years )
Could be done with MF, but I'm a little out of MF lately.
Meet Lauri.

Congrats, Chris! Lauri looks really MF-friendly right now, I bet in some years AF-ing is the only way to keep up with her ;-)

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:54 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

CGrindahl wrote:

The possibilities are ENDLESS...

How about out of focus photos taken with an AF lens... HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1LAaXAC0EOw/TNXi9jMjxHI/AAAAAAAAD6c/AZgTcg31POs/s1000/105OnionDome.jpg

I think there was an extension tube involved in that shot... there's NO infinity there...

Haha, good one, Curtis! I can deliver out-of-focus shots with EVERY lens, regardless if AF- or MF-Nikkor ;-)
This one is my favorite so far, I've thought about printing it really large and smuggle it into an art-gallery. Lotsa people with more money than taste around ;-)

posted before - nice bokeh delivered by a 200/2VR, D700 and a dumb nut behind the camera

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:14 PM
deang001
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

asiostygius wrote:
Peter, these guys are smart enough (after hundreds of thousands years of evolution) to kill these large prey before eating them;
in this case the "armoured" and harder to swallow parts are removed before swallowing:

D7000 + TC20EIII + Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 G AF-S (= 600mm f/5.6) + BusHawk stock mount, ISO 250, f/9 at 1/320 to 400s ~ 30-35% crop.

Top: the cockroach is still intact with the "armoured" head and thorax;

Middle: beating up the prey in the ground to kill it and remove harder parts;

Bottom: the cockroach now is without the armoured head/thorax, just the succulent abdomen which is ready to
...Show more

Great work, Jose !

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:38 PM
deang001
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

Zichar wrote:
With the 14-24mm ... all my MFs are in the 45-50 range

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5349/8986394373_65a3bb9c92_c.jpg
her say by Zichar, on Flickr

Very nice shot, Chin ... will be good to see more of your work with the 14-24.

I see this shot was taken at Maslin Beach ... are you a nudist?

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:41 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

can I post my Canon AF pictures here? I do shoot Nikon MF, so those should qualify

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:43 PM
deang001
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

Chris Dees wrote:
My latest subject (and probably for the coming years )
Could be done with MF, but I'm a little out of MF lately.
Meet Lauri.

Congrats, Chris !!

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:44 PM
deang001
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

pburke wrote:
can I post my Canon AF pictures here? I do shoot Nikon MF, so those should qualify

Unfortunately, not ... since it's a Nikon forum.

You should make an identical thread title on the Canon forum though ... and highlight the word NIKON as much as possible

Edited on Jun 09, 2013 at 10:50 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:46 PM
deang001
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

CGrindahl wrote:
Sonoma farm country... shot with the 28-70 f/2.8 AF-s... years ago...

Awesome, Curtis ... I say it every time, but you do live in a great part of the world.

It's perfect living in a big city with this sort of countryside not too far away.

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:48 PM
deang001
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm not sure it would be fair if the usual group of suspects had the TWO most busy threads on the Nikon forum, but who knows where this will lead.

I have a feeling this thread will be quite popular. I think there are quite a few of us in the same position who like shooting AF as well as MF, but can't really share them in a central place with the ones we want to.

It's nice getting up in the morning and checking out three threads over the morning coffee as well

Nice baseball pics btw

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

Dean It's so funny that you started this thread yesterday. That's the when I received my Nikkor 24-85 F3.5-4.5 VR from our good friend Reagan. I went out for a few min today to try it out. The VR helped me get the first shot at 1/20th of sec and the speedy focus got me the last one. "Squirrel with a mushroom"

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:07 PM
deang001
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

MDoc9523 wrote:
Dean It's so funny that you started this thread yesterday. That's the when I received my Nikkor 24-85 F3.5-4.5 VR from our good friend Reagan. I went out for a few min today to try it out. The VR helped me get the first shot at 1/20th of sec and the speedy focus got me the last one. "Squirrel with a mushroom"

Nice shots, Ray.

I was hoping you would post some with that lens ... and hope to see some more.

We are going on vacation in a few months and I am thinking about getting this one instead of taking my heavy 24-70. It looks quite good ... what do you think?

I really love the 24-70 for it's IQ and it's zoomy convenience, but I'll be carrying 3-4 of my MF lenses as well ... it gets heavy. I love that constant 2.8 though

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:26 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

I like it alot Dean. It's light, sharp and the bokeh isn't too bad. The focus is really fast. I could see it as a great complimentary lens to a few Nikkor primes. Plus it's not long so you can use a "shorter" bag

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:33 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

Looks like a winner Ray. In terms of size it seems just about right but like Dean I'm a bit fixated on the constant f/2.8 aperture that translates into so very nice out of focus areas...

Speaking of which, here is shot wide open with the 85 f/1.8D that was the first Nikon lens I bought after picking up the D700. The camera stayed, the lens went after the 105 f/2.5 AI-s arrived...

This is a sweet, inexpensive lens and from everything I've read, the latest iteration sans aperture ring, is even better. But I like my aperture rings...

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:15 AM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

I am pretty flexible and move between AF and MF. All of my Aurora shots are currently MF but I have a 20mm f/2.8 AF-D that I am going to use this fall.

Here is a tasty little tidbit from the patch last summer.

D300 - AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED - ISO 200 - 1/160 - /11 - 35mm - hand held

Michael Sebrey 2013

Just the Berries

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:36 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

deang001 wrote:
Very nice shot, Chin ... will be good to see more of your work with the 14-24.

I see this shot was taken at Maslin Beach ... are you a nudist?

Haha I've been wanting to ask you that
I didn't see any!
Fishermen yes but not in the buff
Mebbe it's too cold hmm

>>

Seeing Ronny's macro photos reminds me of the time when I chased dragonflies

03102010TpyDragonfly08 by Zichar, on Flickr

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:36 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

Thank you Curtis. actually would I prefer a constant 1.4 but imagine the weight
For a vacation-walk-about-keep up with the grand kids lens, I think it's going to work out just fine. It certainly won't replace my Nikkor primes as I have been quite spoiled in that regard. Sometime people just won't sit there long enough for me to focus, so the auto focus and VR are going to come in handy when trying to capture a special expression or moment in time. To be honest sometime I just don't want to work that hard

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:25 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

splashy cold Lone Pine Creek water with the 24-85mm VR - probably could have done that with MF as well (was sitting on a tripod, f22, polarizer, remote trigger, and I have a hunch I turned VR and AF off). but I only had this lens and the 14mm Rokinon in the bag

and a 12 frame panorama with the same lens

forgot to add the link to the full deep zoom pano version here - zooming in you can read the price of admission on the left in the entrance area

this was stitched in Microsoft Ice, which is why it is a little flat. I will have to do this one in Photoshop again

Edited on Jun 10, 2013 at 04:04 AM · View previous versions

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:08 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

Your stitched panoramas are really wonderful Peter. That is a stunning image made more so by the fact you stitched 12 images together to get there. Nicely done!

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:21 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !!

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Curtis. actually would I prefer a constant 1.4 but imagine the weight
For a vacation-walk-about-keep up with the grand kids lens, I think it's going to work out just fine. It certainly won't replace my Nikkor primes as I have been quite spoiled in that regard. Sometime people just won't sit there long enough for me to focus, so the auto focus and VR are going to come in handy when trying to capture a special expression or moment in time. To be honest sometime I just don't want to work that hard

I understand Ray. Although I don't at the moment have a specific purpose for AF, that is the reason I kept the three AF lenses still in my kit. They aren't going anywhere. There simply are some moments that they are essential, and surely trying to catch up with kids simply being kids is one of them. So I take it Melody has children... Nice to have a built in family when you tie the knot.

Jun 10, 2013 at 03:23 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password