FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Panther Paradise

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Panther Paradise

Phrasikleia wrote:
I've been in a 'more is more' mode with my own photos lately, so I'm liking the extra water at the bottom here. The long striations in the river are about as long as the closest log, which helps to make the log less of a barrier and more of a spoke in a big compositional wheel (made up of the many lines that converge at the base of the falls).

The one nit that I have is the stretching along the top of the frame. I've also been doing a lot of the 'vertorama' kind of stitching that you describe,
...Show more

Thank you for being honest. Sound feedback I'd say.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM
roguecoolman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Panther Paradise

Mark,

Excellent photo as always. I like the perspective of the water flowing right at me. I like how my eyes tend to naturally follow the water fall from the top and down to the bottom frame. It's a nice run

Jason

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:50 PM
lnorton
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Panther Paradise

Mark,

Wonderful composition & execution. I found myself scrolling up to see if the cropping some of the water made sense (and later read similar comments). I agree that it works equally well either way.

Really compelling image - congrats!

Don't you love living up here in the PNW?!?!

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Mstic
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Panther Paradise

great photo! maybe you cant to post up a cropped version for side by side comparison

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Panther Paradise

First of all thank you sincerely to everyone.

Don't you love living up here in the PNW?!?!

Anyone who knows me or may have followed my work over the years knows I hated living in Vegas and my only salvation down there was shooting the SW (which was awesome). I really miss the easy access. But I am happier than I have been in a long time living up here. What's not to like? I even love the rain. In two days I am on the road for 2 1/2 months of teaching workshops and personal shooting and need to pinch myself sometimes to see if this is real.

Jun 12, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Panther Paradise

I really like your point of view, having the motion effect towards the viewer. Great post work Mark!
Fred

Jun 12, 2013 at 09:21 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Panther Paradise

Outstanding !!!!

Todd

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:22 AM
plateaulight
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Panther Paradise

One of the wettest places I have ever been and slippery too.
Results like this are only achieved by risking life and limb
Well done.
Definitely a gem!

Robert

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:03 PM
woos
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Panther Paradise

Nice shot. I need to go back there, one of the places I've been wanting to hit up again.

Last time I was there I was thinking man.. need to bring a chainsaw, cut up and remove the trees going over the stream. Sad that they are still there, I was hoping someone more motivated than me would have moved them .

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Cookies
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Panther Paradise

Impressive image!

Chris

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Panther Paradise

Beautiful work Mark

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:03 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Panther Paradise

plateaulight wrote:
One of the wettest places I have ever been and slippery too.
Results like this are only achieved by risking life and limb
Well done.
Definitely a gem!

Robert

Hi Robert, long time no see!!! I hope all is well with your ventures. I would agree with the life and limb. Thank you for the compliment.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Panther Paradise

woos wrote:
Nice shot. I need to go back there, one of the places I've been wanting to hit up again.

Last time I was there I was thinking man.. need to bring a chainsaw, cut up and remove the trees going over the stream. Sad that they are still there, I was hoping someone more motivated than me would have moved them .

Funny enough, on this one I have not even thought of the logs as a distraction. Usually logs in an image really bug me (even to the point of not shooting the location) but on this one I like the X they make and also the story they tell of the scene. These huge trees often fall into these areas during huge storms and when there you get a sense of vulnerability and being small in the face of the power of nature. But having said that, YES I too have day dreamed of bring a chainsaw!

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:49 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Panther Paradise

Mark,
This is really an amazing image. I really love the point of view and the water swirl as it passes below. Unlike others, I happen to like the logs. Without them, I think the image might appear somewhat sterile. As you've pointed out, the point at which they cross creates a focal point for the viewer. Additionally, the lines of the logs along with the falling water keep your eyes engaged with the image.

This is a stunning example of still photography creating a dynamic sense of motion.
No nits on my end.
cheers,
bruce

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Panther Paradise

Fantastic work as always Mark!

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Panther Paradise

One word - Awesome!!!

Jul 16, 2013 at 01:27 PM
WiLLGT09
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Panther Paradise

Absolutely wonderful shot! Thank you for sharing the technical info on how you made the shot, as well!

Cheers!
William

Jul 16, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Panther Paradise

I'm here taking lessons, visually

Gorgeous Mark and interesting for me to read your comments on printing, nice to have folks like you to expand on how important every detail of the process really is to get the final quality you obtain.

That is a great shot of the wall art and massive prints that are left and right of you!
Have a great season.........just fabulous imagery sir

Karl

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Panther Paradise

Thanks everyone. Sorry, at this time of year I am literally on the road about 3 months straight with a day here and there with coverage, so my responses are quite few. I can say I have been in the Columbia River Gorge for 2 months straight now and been going to a lot of new locations and am totally enthralled with its beauty!!! I now believe the Gorge to be #1, heads and tails above all the rest for world class waterfalls in the entire US including Hawaii. There are over 100 major waterfalls here. About 15 or so, many go to, but if you are willing to work, literally 100 incredible ones to be had. I will be in there another few days while the greens still look good, and then it is off to Bend and then Glacier! See you out there!

Side note: Sometimes to my surprise, I keep running into FM folks out in the field and we have had some great times! Have a great summer everyone.

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.