New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

Sagar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

I was very impressed with the concept of FPJ when I came across few threads in People Photography Forum by Cranerino. And I want to give it a shot as a way to capture moments and improve my skills. In a rush of going lightweight after trying all mirror less options I have settled on SL1 with 40mm with an intention of adding FF body in near future (8-10 months)

Now I would like to build a 2-3 quality lens kit which works on SL1 but also good for FF with focus on FPJ and candids. I have budget of 1-1.5k and fine with spending all on one or two lenses now and then adding other lense later on.

I was looking at 24/35/50L refurb but not sure if I have buy only one right which one I should go for. I would also like to if L is really worth for hobbiest.

With this background could you suggest me what lenses I should be looking for?

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:45 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

Hi Sagar, 1st what crop body do you have, this will help greatly...

I've a prime set, non-L's that work well, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8, day/night/indoor and outdoor, events they are a great trio. However if light is good, it's the 17-40 f4L that is most useful. If you are looking for some distance to not disturb your subject, then the 135 f2L.

Going from a crop body to fullframe and buying lenses targeted for later FF use will always bring you up short on the wide end, when limiting yourself to Canon brand lenses. There are some fine 3rd party ultra-wide primes and zooms I've seen mentioned here on FM but I've none.

For my 40D and 7D, I opted for the 10-22mm because it has good re-sale value. The ef-s 17-55 f2.8 is a great zoom as well and has the same re-sale ability. Both are fantastic lenses, check out the reviews here on FM. But these are crop body lenses and you'll either keep or sell them when you move to FF. I decided any possible loss on re-sale was well worth their usage...

As for the other 'L' primes...all I've in my bag is a 300 f4L IS, and it's not really a PJ fav

Another option might be the new 24/28/35mm primes with IS that Canon recently released, but if you get two of these you are at or over your $1.5k; unless you can find them used.

Good luck choosing, it's always a tough choice...
Jerry,

Jun 08, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

Jerry, Thanks a lot for suggesting couple of options. With current refurb promotions, I am very tempted to pick up 10-22 .

My plan was to get NEX-7 now and add FF later. I went to BB to pick up my online NEX-7 order but when I saw SL1, I came out with SL1 instead. Thinking it helps me to stick with single system for cary everywhere and FF kit. I currently have newer 18-55 STM IS which seem to be pretty good (for kit lens) and a 40mm pancake

Jun 08, 2013 at 12:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

Sagar, IMHO if you're okay with the variable aperture of the 10-22 you will be very happy, it has very little distortion and it's tack sharp. There are two images in my uploads, one of our backyard container garden and another of our kitchen both taken with the 10-22 last year.

Also, there is a topic/thread here on FM that demonstrates how to use the 10-22 on a fullframe body. Yes it is possible, but you must remove a baffle in the mount and can only use 15-22mm of the zoom's range; at 10-14mm the back element comes in contact with FF camera's mirror. I'll see if I can find the link and post it below...my numbers might be off a bit, could be 16-22 that are usable

The SL1 looks like a great little shooter and with the 18-55 and 40 you've got a nice easy to carry kit. The 10-22 is a bit heavier, it's not a tiny lens, but is a joy to use, to me it's just a bit sharper then my 17-40L and has less distortion; either are correctable with LR, photoshop, etc.

Enjoy you little wonder, given pricing I'm seriously looking at the EOS-M, after the new firmware comes out if the AF is indeed faster I'll get one with the 22mm...the SL1 looks interesting tho

Jun 08, 2013 at 02:05 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

FPJ = Family Photo Journalism?. Took me a while to work out as i assumed the "F" was freelance. Not sure i like the idea of taking family photography that two steps further. I know if it were me in front of the camera being constantly annoyed by the click click click i'd be inclined to punch the person behind the camera, relative or not.

In the standard role of family photographer my most used lenses are 70-200mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 (samyang). I rarely go wide angle.

Jun 08, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

I think I should have clarified better. Here is the thread from People Forum that inspire me to look for wide lenses o. Crop

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1214832/0#11572458

15Bit wrote:
FPJ = Family Photo Journalism?. Took me a while to work out as i assumed the "F" was freelance. Not sure i like the idea of taking family photography that two steps further. I know if it were me in front of the camera being constantly annoyed by the click click click i'd be inclined to punch the person behind the camera, relative or not.

In the standard role of family photographer my most used lenses are 70-200mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 (samyang). I rarely go wide angle.

Jun 08, 2013 at 08:52 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

Have a look at this photographer who I think is a master at this FPJ.
http://www.timcoulson.com/p/family-photos.html
he uses a canon 35/1.4 and VSCO processing.

Jun 08, 2013 at 09:24 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

the tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is a good option as well

Jun 08, 2013 at 09:34 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

the 28 1.8 is a good option also. it's like EFL 44mm on a crop, which is useful, and then you go wide when you move to full frame. less $ as well ... buy used

Jun 08, 2013 at 09:36 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

Mark, Thank you, its very helpful.
This is the type of photography style I love and want to develop myself.

marko1953 wrote:
Have a look at this photographer who I think is a master at this FPJ.
http://www.timcoulson.com/p/family-photos.html
he uses a canon 35/1.4 and VSCO processing.

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

goosemang, thanks for tokina and 28/1.8 suggestion. I am inclined towards wide angle and looks like may need to go for APSC wide angle as FF wide angles wont be that wide on APSC. Looks like I will need to decide between Canon vs Tokina

goosemang wrote:
the 28 1.8 is a good option also. it's like EFL 44mm on a crop, which is useful, and then you go wide when you move to full frame. less $ as well ... buy used

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:35 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

I never understood this idea that I may buy a ff at some point in the future so I don't want Efs lenses. It's just silly. I mean do you decide not to buy the merc sl65 because you may buy a boat in the future and it doesn't have a tow package? The high end Efs zoom lenses 10-22, 15-85, and 17-55 are all great and hold value well so don't worry about whether there is a ff in your future or not.

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

You have a point. I was not looking at buying "sometime in future" but in next 8-10 month but after looking at lens choices I think I may end up sticking with APSC and buy good APSC lenses right away...

robbymack wrote:
I never understood this idea that I may buy a ff at some point in the future so I don't want Efs lenses. It's just silly. I mean do you decide not to buy the merc sl65 because you may buy a boat in the future and it doesn't have a tow package? The high end Efs zoom lenses 10-22, 15-85, and 17-55 are all great and hold value well so don't worry about whether there is a ff in your future or not.

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

If you're set on a ultra wide zoom for APS-C and using it for FPJ I'd also look at the tokina 11-16mm. You don't get the same range as the canon 10-22mm but you do get constant f/2.8 which can be very useful for FPJ. New cameras have come a long way with high ISO performance but having the wider aperture may be beneficial in terms of image quality.

If I was making a lens lineup geared to shooting FPJ on APS-C I'd go with:
-Ultra wide/wide angle - tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I have an ultra wide lens but prefer not to use it for FPJ type shots because of the exaggerated perspective (big heads, tiny bodies, etc) that I seem to end up with.
-Wide/normal - I'd look at a 24L v1. There really aren't that many choices here to get something close to a FF 35mm focal length on APS-C that also have a wide aperture. It's why I moved to FF. The other choice is the 24mm f/2.8 but then its f/1.4 vs. 2.8. I think the 1.4 is worth it for the low light ability. 35mm is my most used focal length for FPJ.
-Normal - I think the original 35mm f/2 is a great choice on APS-C. I really really liked this on my XSi. It's just OK on my 5DII because of the poor corners so I'll probably upgrade at some point.
-Short tele/portrait - 50mm f/1.8. If you can live with the build, I think It's a great choice. Prices on the 50mm 1.4 have been pretty tempting lately though.

If your funds are limited, I'd put the most money in something in the 24/28/35mm range (FF equiv.).

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:22 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lenses for FPJ on crop body with FF in mind

for family stuff you're gonna be inside a lot so you want fast and wide. 50mm is too tight in my opinion. your options are limited on the cropper if you want a fast lens, which I'd say you do. (meaning at least 2.8)

the 28 1.8 at equivalent 44mm is probably about as tight as you'd want. sigma has a 20 1.8, which turns into like 32mm or whatever. so that's an option. wider than that I think you're limited to f/2.8 or slower lenses, which is why the tokina is a good idea. 11-16 is 18-25 equivalent, so it stays firmly in really wide angle territory though, so I'd back it up with a prime that gets you in the ballpark of 35mm.

canon makes a 20 f2.8 as well. this, and the sigma 20, canon 28 1.8, etc dont get the greatest reviews from pixel peepers, but I wouldn't sweat that stuff for this kind of work.

if you can live with a slower lens the 10-22mm range is particularly useful, similar to the 16-35 or 17-40 UWA ff options. there is a HUGE difference between 10 and 22mm and this range is very useful. my 17-40 spends a lot of time on my 5d

Jun 09, 2013 at 07:35 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.