New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Spanish customs ripoff

halie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spanish customs ripoff

Has anyone else been scammed by customs in Spain? This is my second time in a row. A few months ago, they made someone pay $35 to pick up something I sent them that was worth about $20. Now they want 84 euros ($108.89) from someone for a package with a value of about $150. These are personal gift items, not even commercial transactions. Maybe this is the new funding plan for countries with economies in the toilet. Anyway, one more disincentive to sell things internationally on the buy and sell. I wonder what they would charge on a $1,500 lens in a commercial transaction.

Jun 08, 2013 at 02:07 AM
GillR
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spanish customs ripoff

I don't know the rules for Spain but if they are similar to the UK, the recipient can be liable for Import Duty, VAT & handling charges even on gifts and used items. These rules have been in place for a very long time.

UK Information

It's an expensive minefield

Jun 08, 2013 at 10:05 PM
halie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spanish customs ripoff

Yeah, it's probably the same. The thing is, even though they've been in place, it is only this year that I've had them enforced. The shipper mentioned something about the possibility of it being the one in 35 that they stop, but now it suddenly seems like their new money grab. What's even more ridiculous is that the latest package was the reipient's own belongings, forgot to take them back to Spain, so I was just reuniting them. Crazy ripoff.

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:40 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.