Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Filters... filter sizes

kaitlyn2004

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filters... filter sizes

I currently take the approach of using (B+W) UV filters on all my lenses. Not 100% sure this will continue, but it HAS saved me at least once.

Apart from that, I have 10-stop ND and a CPL.

On my 7D with a 10-22 and 17-55, a 77mm filter size worked well.

I've since moved to a 5D and am now wondering if I should "rebuild" on an 82mm system w/ step-ups, or what.
My Tamron 24-70 is 82mm but I don't know if I'll be keeping it, Something like the 24-105 or 24-70 F4 IS is NOT 82mm...
The 16-35 is also 82, but there is also the 17-40. I'd probably use 17-40 for a long time then upgrade to 16-35...

And I'm sure there are others (and maybe even more in the future!) that are 82mm..

So what do you guys think? Should brace myself for the best now/future proof and go with 82mm filters w/ step-up rings, or stick with the 77mm filter size and either make things work or ignore using those filters on 82mm lenses?

Jun 08, 2013 at 02:13 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filters... filter sizes

Every photographer wrestles with this question. Yours truly is no exception. I finally settled on a filter for each size. Expensive? YES! But it also allows the easy use of lens hoods. Step rings preclude their use. I also am down to CP filters, and a few for my exclusively film lenses when I shoot B&W.

If I ever start moving furniture around, I may well find the gazillion or so filters that klepto-kitty has hidden.

Jun 09, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filters... filter sizes

I'd say keep the 77's you have as resale on used filters is pretty bad anyways and as discussed, you can use hoods with the proper filter. I'd say get new 82's and step-up rings from now on as/if necessary. Till you get more money at least.

Jun 09, 2013 at 01:13 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Filters... filter sizes

If you don't currently have lenses that need 82mm filters, and acquiring such lenses is only a vague future possibility, then I'd recommend sticking with your 77mm set. You might never need to upgrade; and the bigger the filter, the more awkward and accident-prone it is to have danging off the front of your lens. Some lenses with 82mm filter rings can even handle a 77mm filter on a step-down ring (I've got a Zeiss CY Distagon 21/2.8 that works fine with an 82->77mm step-down to my usual filter sizes).

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:07 AM
H. Hoolee
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Filters... filter sizes

I too, have wrestled with this. Fortunately, my current lenses use 77mm, so I am set. I have considered replacing my Canon 16-35 lens with the newer version, and if I do, I will need 82mm filters, which will be quite costly, since I would need at least two new B+W ND filters, a polarizer, and new Lee 82mm wide-angle adapter ring. I suppose that this is simply a part of our hobby- having to upgrade and replace.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password