Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Weevil drinking maple syrup (pic)

Ecooper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Weevil drinking maple syrup (pic)

This past winter I bought a Nikkor 50mm F2.8 enlarger lens off eBay for a whole $20.00. This lens has a reputation as a good sharp macro lens when reversed on a bellows. So using a couple of $2.00 adaptors (also off eBay) I tried mounting the lens (reversed) on a vintage OM telescopic auto extension tube 65-116 on my OM-D EM-5 body. The result was magnification of almost 2:1 with the auto extension tube collapsed, and almost 3:1 with it fully extended. Surprisingly, the working distance is very respectable at 6.5cm (collapsed) and 5.5cm (extended).

The photo below is the best result of my first test of the lens. All-in-all I’m reasonably satisfied. I expected some loss of resolution due to the extension, but it didn’t turn out too bad. The image has higher contrast and more muted colours than what I get when I shoot with my Zuiko 35mm macro. So this set-up definitively doesn’t produce images as nice as the Zuiko, but the price was certainly right; and I was able to photograph a tiny insect taking a drink from a drop of syrup...and that’s pretty cool!

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

P6170326 edit 2 weevil drop copyright ernie cooper 2013 b_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

nikkor on collapsable labelled copy by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Jun 07, 2013 at 04:32 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Weevil drinking maple syrup (pic)

Good capture and DIY !
Brian v.

Jun 08, 2013 at 01:37 AM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Weevil drinking maple syrup (pic)

nicely done

Jun 08, 2013 at 01:53 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.