Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera...

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Ok the two subjects are pretty far apart, but it would be nice to have just one body for both.
No, I'm not independently wealthy either, so that definately comes into play.For glass I have 70-200,100-400,18-55, and 10-22(but don't use it that often, even though its very good).
At present for bodies I have a 20D and 1DMkII.
I don't sell images(although I would like to someday), but I'm a pixel peeper for sure. I look at all my images at 100% for dust, dirt and things that just plain shouldn't be there. I'm a Quality Control person, so I'm pretty anal about everything(Hey I admit it. anyways !)
I see all your images with 500mm and up lenses and drool a lot, but I know I'll never be able to afford them. I may get a 400 5.6 at some point, to supplement the 100-400, because plain and simple its always going to be better at Birds in flight than the 100-400.
So please give me your opinions, just remember about the money part, nothing worse than a Photographer on a budget, but reality does come into play.

Jun 07, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

This is reminiscent of the various 7D vs. 1D Mark III threads!

I think those are your best two choices on a budget. Obviously, the 5D3 and 1DX would do those things superbly, but at a relatively high cost.

A 7D allows you to use those EF-S lenses, but other than the 10-22, they aren't much needed for what you are doing, are they?

If it were me, I'd buy a nice used 1D3 for around $1000 and add a 24-105L lens. (But for landscapes, the 5D2 is awfully good. . . Arrrrgggg! )

Jun 07, 2013 at 02:17 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Refurbished 7D and 17-55/2.8 IS would be a nice combo as well.

Jun 07, 2013 at 03:00 PM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Considering what you want to shoot and the lenses you already own I would go for a 7D...it's a lotta bang for the buck.

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:20 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Hi Bsmooth,

Well, if I were in your shoes with your photographic desires, I'd consider a budget of around $1500 for such a body. This would put me in range of the more recent tech offerings such as sensor IQ and AF capabilities. That being said, I would think my choices would then boil down to a 1D3, or a 7D, or a 5D2.

Of the three it would seem to me that either the 1D3 or 7D would best suit my needs for BIFs with longer glass, and the 5D2 would favor landscapes. Now, of course, all three cameras will be able to do both BIFs and landscapes but neither of these three cameras will excel equally at both. So there is going to have to be a compromise on your part...work with the sport bodies to do landscapes or work with the landscape camera to do sports.

Now, it would seem that intuition would say, "Well, when you put it that way, go with one of the sports bodies. It'll be easier to get either of them to do landscapes than getting the 5D2 to do birds." And I thought so, too. But then one day, when I was out with my 300-800mm (and I just-so-happened to have both my 7d and 5D2 with me), I came upon an open meadow with a kestrel having a ball working his perch on the stump of a fallen tree for any poor insects on the ground around him. Look, look, look, spy, swoop down, return to the stump with a beetle or praying mantis. He knew I was present and didn't seem to care...it was "lunchtime" and he was having fun at the buffet. After figuring our comfort zone between he let me settle in about 100-feet or so to set up and catch him doing his thing. For 10-minutes I worked the scene with the 7D until I got the bright idea to swap it out for the 5D2. When I got home and reviewed my prize the 7D shots were amazing enough, but the 5D2 shots were simply gorgeous.

Now, granted, not a very challenging BIF scenario, and probably not what you're looking to do, but plenty of times birds are sitting down, or eating, or poking for food and I've not regretted being, um, "stuck" with the 5D2 instead of the 7D in those situations. But there have been times when I had the 7D with me and wished I'd brought along the 5D2 for a good landscape opportunity!

So, I provide this just as "food for thought" as you deliberate your choices. Keep us posted on how you decide to go. I hope this was helpful!

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

If you can stretch the budget for a 5DIII (refurb, used, or new), you will not regret it, for the focusing speed and accuracy combined with higher resolution. Sell your 2 EFS lenses and get a wide to mid range lens. Later add a 1.4 extender for your 100-400 at F8. The 5DIII teams with my 100-400 so well that you may not need the 400 5.6 for BIF.

If the 5DIII is out of budget, then the 7D, based on your current lenses.

Steve

Jun 07, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

I would sell the 20D and the two EF-S lenses, keep the rest of your stuff, and purchase a 5DIII/24-105 kit. If the net cost is workable for you, the kit would make you happy for quite a while.

Jun 07, 2013 at 07:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Bsmooth wrote:
Ok the two subjects are pretty far apart, but it would be nice to have just one body for both.
No, I'm not independently wealthy either, so that definately comes into play.For glass I have 70-200,100-400,18-55, and 10-22(but don't use it that often, even though its very good).
I don't sell images(although I would like to someday), but I'm a pixel peeper for sure. I look at all my images at 100% for dust, dirt and things that just plain shouldn't be there. I'm a Quality Control person, so I'm pretty
...Show more

Maybe a used 7D+5D3? For one body only the 5D3 (where I am at now), but the 7D does have nice reach (which is missed, I sold it and 5D2 to get the 5D3).

Jun 07, 2013 at 08:25 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Bsmooth wrote:
I don't sell images(although I would like to someday), but I'm a pixel peeper for sure. I look at all my images at 100% for dust, dirt and things that just plain shouldn't be there. I'm a Quality Control person, so I'm pretty
...Show more

As you point out, you are asking for a camera that has two opposing sets of strengths. One must focus and perhaps shoot very fast and fill the frame with birds. The other might be more conducive to somewhat slower shooting, perhaps from the tripod, with a remote release, and quite possibly working in live view. In the end, no camera will be ideal at both extremes, so it is a matter of a) picking your favorite compromise of features and b) considering how price might narrow the gap a bit.

If you are happy with cropped sensor bodies - e.g. you get images that seem excellent for your purposes with such gear - then a 7D could be your best answer. It is reasonably fast, produces fine image quality. The IQ is not that of current full frame options... but that doesn't mean it isn't good. And the AF and operation speed isn't up to the best available, but it is fine and a lot less expensive.

If you can weigh the two conflicting subjects and come to the conclusion that your bird shooting needs to be good but that for this "good is good enough" and that the full frame image quality for landscape is more important, then the 5D3 could well be your best bet.

If end up thinking that the speed of operation and AF is super important and worth any expense and you want full frame, then the 1Dx could be your camera, though the cost is a lot higher!

Don't underestimate what you can do with the 100-400.

Dan

Jun 07, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Easy answer: 7D. Yes as others have pointed out the best solution would be two bodies but if you can only have one the answer is the 7D. It has the reach which a full frame body doesn't and on a tripod at ISO 100 shooting landscapes image quality is really excellent. You may just need a 10-22 EF-S lens to go with it.

Jun 08, 2013 at 01:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lucas lumiere
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Sell your 18-55 / 10-22. Pick up a used 1DSII and a 17-40. Great landscape combo and the 1DSII has great AF for the action stuff. Maybe not the fastest frame rate, but then you've already got the 1D2. You might consider trading the 1d2 for the 7d so you could have a body with higher pixel density. Then I would add a thrifty 50 just to give you a decent fast prime.

Jun 08, 2013 at 01:47 AM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Don't sell the 20D. Keep it as a backup, it's worth more than what you would get for it if you sold it.

Jun 08, 2013 at 01:49 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

lucas lumiere wrote:
Sell your 18-55 / 10-22. Pick up a used 1DSII and a 17-40. Great landscape combo and the 1DSII has great AF for the action stuff. Maybe not the fastest frame rate, but then you've already got the 1D2. You might consider trading the 1d2 for the 7d so you could have a body with higher pixel density. Then I would add a thrifty 50 just to give you a decent fast prime.

With 1D2 and 1Ds2 then he'd really, realllly be hurting for reach though.

Jun 08, 2013 at 01:59 AM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

He could swap the 1D2 for a 7d. I suppose he could also use that for landscapes and such, but I think the 1DSII or another FF would be better that purpose.

Jun 08, 2013 at 02:09 AM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Sorry Bsmooth, you're just going to have to sell a kidney and buy a 5D3 or 1DX.

Jun 08, 2013 at 02:10 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

If I had to shoot one good bird shot and one good landscape both on the same camera for $1000 or less I would pick a 7d.

A FF body is better for landscapes for sure, but not so much at base ISO.

A (cheap) ff body is much poorer at birds.

With a crop you can bracket, stitch, blend your way to a finished landscape if needed.

No amount of playing around will get you more reach than your longest lens or better autofocus on a ff.

I shoot some of both but mostly landscapes so I ended up switching a 7d for a 5d2.

Jun 08, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

As soon as the weather changed here and I started seeing a lot more sun, I switched my primary body from 6D to 1DsII. I only use the LCD to check for blown highlights and to examine the RGB readout so I don't care that it's so bad. The viewfinder makes up for it. Yeah it's bigger and bulkier, but I can count on it. And I can use a Canon 1.4x II TC with my 100-400L IS with no problem. I can't use that combination on my 6D. I also have a 1DIII, but I prefer the 1DsII over it for most situations. I can make 20x30" prints from a 1DsII file, and good quality larger size prints by running the file through Perfect Resize.

The only caveat: the 1DsII requires you to clean the sensor periodically because it is a dust magnet and it doesn't offer the sensor cleaning technology found in the 1DIII and newer Canon xD cameras.

Jun 08, 2013 at 04:07 AM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Better to have two or three bodies (I have 7D for reach, 5D2 for stationary subjects,
5D3 for action) so you can minimize switching lenses, spread wear and tear out,
a spare or two if one body breaks down, etc.

For you definitely 7D and 5D2, the latter much demonized but which I love to use.

Jun 08, 2013 at 04:30 AM
aladyforty
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

Id go 7D, I have a 5DII 7D and 1DIII and I prefer 1DIII for bids, but it does not have the reach for most shots of BIF with the 100-400L and the megapixels are not enough for a huge crop in.

Jun 08, 2013 at 11:05 AM
aladyforty
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best body for birds and landscapes ?(no not mine a camera body !)

garydavidjones wrote:
For you definitely 7D and 5D2, the latter much demonized but which I love to use.

Honestly cant understand the demonizing of the 5DII, if people cant get a decent shot with that camera, they should give up photography

Jun 08, 2013 at 11:07 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password