Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · 5D3 not so weather sealed. .

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 5D3 not so weather sealed. .

Well, if you have otherwise bit tragical Olympus E-5, then there isnt much difference between weather sealing and waterproof. That said, its not much usable as a camera.. (quite shame considering amazing durability).

Same goes with Pentax (thats actually even freeze proof, guaranteed). Those are quite good cameras (K-5 II) and usable (thats if you like APS-C).

For Canon, I take everything bellow 1D/s class as not sealed eg. avoid everything you can or pack it into something. Seems older pieces survived bit more than modern ones, friend kinda soaked old 350D and no problem. That wasnt sealed by any chance and it works until today.

I guess that maybe older tech is somehow less prone to care about water and such. My ages old KM-7D survived numerous rains, freezing ones, snow, dust.. still works. And if Im correct, its not supposed to have any kind of sealing (maybe its just tightly put together ).

Or maybe is level of weather survival just pure luck.

Jun 10, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 5D3 not so weather sealed. .

Don Clary wrote:
I used two raincoats on two 5D2s in Costa Rica for 8 continuous days. It ranged from misty to rain to absolute cloudbursts. Only scuba diving could have been more severe. No problem with either camera.

Good to know. Cheers.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:03 PM
jamato8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 5D3 not so weather sealed. .

I had film cameras in late 90's in Peru, was working in northern Chile, where they get about 10 drops of rain every 10 years so in Peru it was crazy as it was very, very heavy rain. A lens fogged up but the cameras, not a problem and totally exposed to conditions I might not even want an underwater camera in. There is much more on these digital cameras with the rear screen and so on but still, I think one main problem is the wheels and that is something I think, they could really do much better on and it wouldn't be that hard as they are major access points for dust or moisture.

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:35 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.