New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

Blackbelg

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

I recently upgraded to a 5D Mark III. I have photoshop CS5. The photos appear to be 300 dpi coming out of the camera. They are about 12.8" wide x 19.2 " high. This is different than what I was expecting. I am used to seeing 72 dpi and very large width and length. Am I shooting with the wrong setting? Did I mess up a photoshop setting? When I try to send these photos for publication, they are too small. They end up being 72 dpi and 8.333" x 6.667". I attached an original photo. Just in case it is importand, the photos are stored in Aperature and I use the edit function in Aperature to edit in CS5. Thank you for taking time out your day to help!

Jun 06, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

From what I understand, there is no true dpi assigned to RAW files out of a camera. I think the dpi is assigned by the capture software when outputting.

For instance, when I used Camera RAW to process cr2 files from a 5D Mk II, the software-assigned resolution was 256dpi.

However, I now use Capture1 Pro to capture and edit, and the software doesn't assign any dpi, but let's me assign one from a range well below and above 300dpi when I output the files.

Like I said, I'm not 100% certain, but given my experience, I tend to believe the RAW files don't have an out-of-cam resolution they adhere to. If they did, I wouldn't be able to output full-sized images containing dpi greater than 300 from C1Pro without IQ loss, which I can.

Edited on Jun 06, 2013 at 10:23 PM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

Why don't you describe your workflow in greater detail - from start to finish.

First of all, are you shooting raw files or are you shooting in camera jpegs. In camera jpegs typically DO come out of the camera at 72 dpi, but still have the same number of pixels (if you shoot jpeg large) as what you get from a raw file. Secondly, all you really need to worry about is the number of pixels in you file, not whether it's 300 dpi or 72 dpi. As long as you have the same number of pixels, the numbers you see in Image Size only tell you how far apart those pixels are spread. It's up to you to set the Image Size, either when exporting from Aperture (not Aperature) or in Photoshop when setting your file up for print.

It sounds like you might need to brush up a bit on one of most confusing aspects of digital imaging - resolution. But without having the specifics of your workflow, it's hard to say exactly where you're problem is coming from.

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:22 PM
sjlocke

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

"It sounds like you might need to brush up a bit on one of most confusing aspects of digital imaging - resolution."

Yep.

Jun 07, 2013 at 06:15 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

I process files from my 5DII using Canon DPP ( comes with camera) and have my RAW conversion set to 300( from RAW to JPG or TIFF). Using Light room the default was 240 but I moved it to 300 to keep things equal.

An 8"x12" image at 300 is the same as a 33x50 image at 72. You just have to reduce the size and allow the resolution to increase.

If you sent a (8x12) 300 resolution file and the person on the other end tries to view it they most likely got a massive 33"x50" image and shrunk it down to 8x12 or something close to fit the screen. This locked the resolution at 72 due to the incorrect conversion. That resolution is gone forever. All the processing programs have a size in inches and pixels. You can see the relation if you watch the numbers.

Clients all want to have images sent by email but many (75% of mine) have no idea how to save and process them They destroy the files and blame the sender for lack of resolution. Not having the correct photo imaging programs or knowing how to use them is another part of this problem.

Jun 07, 2013 at 10:45 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

Your camera records images that are X by Y pixels in dimension, where X.Y is about 22MP. You can look up the exact values on the Canon website under specifications. The size of the print is controlled by the resolution YOU choose to print at. For example, if you choose to print at Z pixels per inch, then the resulting print size will be (X/Z) by (Y/Z) inches. Conversely, if you want a print that is A by B inches in size, you would need to print at a resolution of (X/A) or (Y/B) pixels per inch. Obviously, the larger the value of Z, the smaller your print, and the higher the perceived quality of the print. For fine art prints, you would typically want to print at 300 or higher pixels per inch resolution, but depending on the image and the viewing distance, lower values of resolution may be acceptable as well.

The image itself, be it raw, jpeg or tiff, has no resolution or size in inches baked into it. The resolution only applies to the size of the image when you view it on an output device like a monitor or printer.

Edited on Jun 08, 2013 at 10:53 AM · View previous versions

Jun 08, 2013 at 12:29 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

jefferies1 wrote:
I process files from my 5DII using Canon DPP ( comes with camera) and have my RAW conversion set to 300( from RAW to JPG or TIFF). Using Light room the default was 240 but I moved it to 300 to keep things equal.

Your understanding of the raw conversion process, and the properties of the captured or converted image, is flawed. See my previous post for why I say that.

Jun 08, 2013 at 12:41 AM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

Unless you are making physical prints, you should only be concerned with pixels dimensions. There are no "dots" (as in dpi) on a computer screen. Figure out the pixel dimensions you need and just worry about that.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D MarkIII 300 dpi out of the box

Peter Figen wrote:
It sounds like you might need to brush up a bit on one of most confusing aspects of digital imaging - resolution.

This.

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.