Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

photorise
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

Hello everyone! A quick question for you..

To begin, I'd like to mention that I have never had to make any diopter adjustments on any camera I owned unless it was messed with by someone else. The default factory setting is what I have always been fine with on Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus cameras.. pro SLRs, point and shoots, etc..

I purchased an OMD body as well as 75mm 1.8 lens about a week ago and was perfectly happy with the way a focused subject looked like in the EVF. Today I received a 17mm 1.8 lens and right away noticed that when I am focused on a object it doesn't look sharp in the EVF while the resulting image itself is sharp. I was able to make a diopter adjustment to make it look fine with the 17mm, but once I put the 75mm back on things didn't look right again. I finally found a setting where both lens look ok, or at least I think I did (my eyes may be too tired to see correctly at this point

Has any one else had to make adjustments to diopter settings for different lenses? It doesn't sound right to me as the adjustment should be global I would think?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Gene

Jun 07, 2013 at 12:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

you are focusing on the actual focus screen surface with the your readings so it will have no additional effect on your lenses.

Jun 07, 2013 at 01:42 AM
photorise
• •
p.1 #3 · Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

I know that what I see in the EVF has no affect on the sharpness of the actual images, I am just trying to find out if anyone else had experienced this.

Jun 07, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

I shoot with an E-P3/VF-2 and 17 1.8 and don't need to change the diopter setting when I switch to other primes or zooms. I'm not sure but I think the VF-2 is the same rez and magnification as the EVF in the OMD. I was amazed when I found MF easy through the EVF whereas it's nearly impossible with the LCD.

Jun 07, 2013 at 05:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

photorise
• •
p.1 #5 · Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

Thank you for your feedback. As I mentioned before I was able to set the diopter to perform ok between the lenses, but the images is not 100% sharp as it would be if I adjusted the diopter for each lens individually.

Thanks,
Gene

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:27 PM
hongkietan
• •
p.1 #6 · Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

With an evf of the OMD you are looking at an image displayed on lcd or oled screen. This does not alter its "virtual" distance . Your eyes have to adapt to this distance. My older eyes can't do that so good anymore... The diopter is just an aide ( like "reading" glasses).
But your lenses (75 & 17) are not part of that system. So something else must be the cause of your problem.

HK

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

HK is right. There is literally no way the diopter on an EVF can differ between lenses. The diopter adjusts your ability to see the EVF screen clearly, and that's it. What's displayed on the screen can't be influenced by the diopter. It's the equivalent of saying that you need to wear different pairs of glasses depending on which TV show you're watching.

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:29 PM
mogul
• •
p.1 #8 · Oly OMD diopter adj. between lenses?

I have experienced the same with my nex 7 recently bought; none of my dslr or slt have this problem.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password