New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · "designed for digital" lens

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · "designed for digital" lens

Thanks for all the information and comments.

In the store as an experiment, we put the 35/1.8 DX lens onto a D800 and found that the image circle from that lens comes very close to covering the FX image area on the viewfinder. It looked like there'd be a little vignetting but in the viewfinder at least it didn't look too bad.

In the end I may spring for the 35/2D -- based on all the responses here it should work fine.

k

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · "designed for digital" lens

Another designed-for-digital change is the use of coatings on the rear surface of the lens. Digital sensors reflect some light back into the lens. The lens in turn reflects some of that light back to the sensor. It's easy to reduce such reflection by coating the rear surface of the lens, but there was no reason to do so with film cameras.

The 35/2 is an old lens and not very good. I don't think it has severe digital-related problems. I haven't noticed awful purple fringing like the 85/1.4D has. Maybe it's good enough for your purposes. It does have the advantage of being small and cheap. If you can get by with the 5:4 crop part of the frame, the 35/1.8 may be better. Best at any price (and size) at that focal length is likely the Sigma 35/1.4.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · "designed for digital" lens

Thanks Tox Sclurorum. I actually hadn't thought of the Sigma -- I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

k

Jun 12, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · "designed for digital" lens

Had the 35/2D and sold it for the new sigma. I never looked back.

The sigma is eons above the 35/2

Jun 12, 2013 at 07:53 PM
dalegaspi
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · "designed for digital" lens

FredAz wrote:
There is a hint of truth to this.
Image sensors have an angle known as the "CRA" or Chief Ray Angle" that is the maximum angle that light can cleanly enter the photo-site. Although a much greater issue in small imagers like cell-phones, it does apply to early, front-lit sensors. The outer edges of the image circle provide by some lenses is coming in at significant angle and might exceed some sensors' CRA.

Newer BSI imagers suffer less from the problem since the photo well is less deep.

+1 as well

this is also the reason why the Leica M9 sensor has special micro lenses on its sensor to compensate for this (to redirect the angle light especially in the corners) since the lenses are more tuned to the more tolerant medium known as film.

the micro-four thirds are designed from the ground up as "digital" for the same reason as well...

but, again, as Fred has said...this becomes less of a problem with newer sensors, so those "designed for digital" lenses are becoming more and more of a marketing hype.

Jun 13, 2013 at 08:12 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · "designed for digital" lens

Is there a site that rates the old film lenses?

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · "designed for digital" lens

Most people in the know would take 'CD ready' to be a crappier set of speakers.

Want to see someone's young eyes light up? Play an LP for them on a good sound system.

Jun 14, 2013 at 04:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.