Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

MintMar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

lsquare wrote:
You mean they released it as lens only?

I don't know what you meant by "released it as lens only", but in Japan, you could get a micro-USM version of EF-S 18-55. One way or another.

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:31 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

If I buy this lens from outside the US, am I going to have any issues with the camera working properly with the lens?

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:06 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

MintMar wrote:
...I don't know what you meant by "released it as lens only"

You said it was a "kit lens." "Lens only" means you could also buy just the lens without buying a camera kit.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:13 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

andyjaggy82 wrote:
If I buy this lens from outside the US, am I going to have any issues with the camera working properly with the lens?

Yes, all your camera menus, LCD prompts, etc. will be in Japanese whenever the lens is mounted.

Just kidding. It'll work fine, just as any other lens bought anywhere.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:16 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

BrianO wrote:
Yes, all your camera menus, LCD prompts, etc. will be in Japanese whenever the lens is mounted.

Just kidding. It'll work fine, just as any other lens bought anywhere.

That's fine I can read Japanese, kind of, or at least I used to be able to.

I wondered because the firmware says it updated the camera to work with the new 11-22 lens, so that made me wonder if this camera has to have special code in the firmware for it to use the eos-m lenses.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:32 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

andyjaggy82 wrote:
...I wondered because the firmware says it updated the camera to work with the new 11-22 lens, so that made me wonder if this camera has to have special code in the firmware for it to use the eos-m lenses.

Adding lens-specific parameters to the firmware can help make autofocusing more accurate, I suppose, and maybe some features light vignetting correction in JPEGs need it, but I've used non-Canon lenses on my 20D and 7D in the past and never noticed any serious issues, so I imagine the same would be true with the EOS-M lenses; they'll work better in some manner with upgraded firmware but should also work without it.

(That said, I don't use an EOS-M, so I could be wrong.)

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:02 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

BrianO wrote:
Adding lens-specific parameters to the firmware can help make autofocusing more accurate, I suppose, and maybe some features light vignetting correction in JPEGs need it, but I've used non-Canon lenses on my 20D and 7D in the past and never noticed any serious issues, so I imagine the same would be true with the EOS-M lenses; they'll work better in some manner with upgraded firmware but should also work without it.

(That said, I don't use an EOS-M, so I could be wrong.)

That makes perfect sense, it's probably for the in camera vignette and CA removal abilities.

I am thinking or preordering one from Canada. The ironic thing is one of the main reasons this camera hasn't sold well is the lack of lenses, and then Canon USA doesn't release the new lens because sells for the camera are low. Quality management in that company.

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:46 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Very unfortunate decision on Canon's part.

I'm rather insecure about the long term existence of micro four thirds, and so every once in a while I've thought about switching to a manufacturer/mount that I'm 100% confident will be around in 5 years time. (I shoot 95% m4/3 and would probably switch if I didn't LOVE the lenses)

Even if wide angles weren't critical to my photography (which they are), this action itself causes me to question Canon's committment/plans for mirrorless, and so switching to Canon would be out. (Sony is the only alternate contender. I'm not confident that Nikon is taking mirrorless seriously yet)

Jul 16, 2013 at 04:06 AM
MintMar
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

BrianO wrote:
You said it was a "kit lens." "Lens only" means you could also buy just the lens without buying a camera kit.

Ah. Well, you can buy many "kit lens" as standalone, but "kit lens" usually means the lenses that are frequently offered as a part of the kit.

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:12 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Well, I bought the 11-22 off ebay from Japan for $540.00. I wouldn't normally do this and would just wait, but I have a backpacking trip coming up and really need/want this lens for a nice light backpacking rig.

I guess I will be the Fred Miranda guinea pig. I will report my experience with the lens back on here.

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

EOSM wrote:
Don't worry. This lens will be available later in the States.

Pretty strange then that they have been sending emails to so many people all telling them that Canon US decided it didn't make sense for the local market and they have no plans at this time to carry or support the lens in the U.S. (yeah, I know at this time, but that is often the same as saying never or not unless some related item suddenly sells 1000x more or something) and various other similar responses.

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:37 PM
johnvchan

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Well, I bought the 11-22 off ebay from Japan for $540.00. I wouldn't normally do this and would just wait, but I have a backpacking trip coming up and really need/want this lens for a nice light backpacking rig.

I guess I will be the Fred Miranda guinea pig. I will report my experience with the lens back on here.

I want to buy this lens as well and would love to know what your thoughts are when you've had a chance to shoot with it. Also, photo samples would be much appreciated.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:33 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Not sure where the M is going, but the 11-22 could be similar to the EF-S 55-250 IS lens when it was released. It was unavailable in the states upon release. A few months later, the US market was swamped with them as kit lenses.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:01 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

johnvchan wrote:
I want to buy this lens as well and would love to know what your thoughts are when you've had a chance to shoot with it. Also, photo samples would be much appreciated.

I just got it this morning. First impressions are good. It is nice and compact and feels built really well, just like the other M lenses. I only snapped a few pictures before I had to come into work. I am going to take some shots tonight and post them up.

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:15 PM
alvit
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

......I am going to take some shots tonight and post them up.
We R waiting for

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:54 PM
nads
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

The moment I see evidence that Canon is continuing with the EOS-M format, I'm buying this lens from the first person in the world who will ship it to me.

I love the Tokina 12-24 but the EOS-M with 11-22 takes no more space to carry than just the lens.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

I don't think you need to worry about whether Canon will persevere with the EF-M mount, I believe it's a foregone conclusion they will.

It's "small", flexible in many of the same ways the EF mount is, and represents a new market for them.

If there's any mount/system I think Canon would dump, it would be EF-S. The lenses are really not that different in size or price from many of their EF counterparts, so the benefit/drawback comparison doesn't really work out much for the benefit side, in my opinion. Sure, you have some ultra-wides that the EF lineup can't approximate for APS-C, but all things being equal I am hard-pressed to think of other notable pluses.

EF-M is here to stay, I say.

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:10 AM
Harold Carlson
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

I'd be worried about if Canon does discontinue the M line being able to find the 11-22mm lens at all.

Jul 31, 2013 at 03:18 AM
johnvchan

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

andyjaggy82 wrote:
I just got it this morning. First impressions are good. It is nice and compact and feels built really well, just like the other M lenses. I only snapped a few pictures before I had to come into work. I am going to take some shots tonight and post them up.

This short blurb for a first impression was good enough for me -- even without seeing the photo samples -- so I went ahead and ordered one international as well.

I'll be guinea pig number 2 for this lens on FM.

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:36 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

I went ahead and ordered one international as well.

Where did you order it?
Steve

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:05 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password