Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Ulan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Good news, that means Canon is not dropping its M concept. We can expect a M
2. Question is when ?

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Sagar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

I never understood the buzz on internet about Canon losing interest in newly developed mount within months of its launching. Developing an all new mount with lenses and sensor electronic around it requires quite a R&D efforts. It would be too much stupidity on Canon's part to drop all the efforts it just because internet critics shouting negatively about its first attempt. I think Canon is where Olympus was with E-P1.

While most of the folks and buz overlooked, EOS-M is quite an achievement in terms of its size and features. Yes its a raw product just like E-P1. I am very positive Canon will figure it out in an iteration or two and will not only capture but make mirror-less mainstream like no one else could make it.

Ulan wrote:
Good news, that means Canon is not dropping its M concept. We can expect a M
2. Question is when ?

Jun 09, 2013 at 12:30 PM
SKumar25
• • •
p.2 #3 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Sagar wrote:
I never understood the buzz on internet about Canon losing interest in newly developed mount within months of its launching. Developing an all new mount with lenses and sensor electronic around it requires quite a R&D efforts. It would be too much stupidity on Canon's part to drop all the efforts it just because internet critics shouting negatively about its first attempt.

The reality is that the better the m line does, the more it may canniblise DLSR sales. Canon has its arm tied, hence the doubt by many about Canon's commitment to it.

Jun 09, 2013 at 01:17 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #4 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Wonder what the price will be.

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:30 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Gochugogi wrote:
...goth style cosmetics.

Would that be Visigoth or Ostrogoth?

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:45 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

SKumar25 wrote:
The reality is that the better the m line does, the more it may canniblise DLSR sales. Canon has its arm tied, hence the doubt by many about Canon's commitment to it.

Better to cannibalize its own sales than to let Sony and others do it...

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

GC5 wrote:
Better to cannibalize its own sales than to let Sony and others do it...

Most people I know--myself included--buy these wee mirrorless cameras to supplement their DSLR and/or replace P&S for traveling light days. I don't have an EOS M--need a VF--but I do have a GX1 and E-P3 and they coexist just fine with my 7D/5D2. Nothing to cannibalize. I don't think many serious photogs would be happy with only one camera or system. The more the merrier. Well, I sold off the last of my film cameras so maybe mirrorless had a small part in the demise of my Nikon FM3A and Oly Stylus Epic.

Jun 09, 2013 at 06:56 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #8 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

David Baldwin wrote:
Bit slow isn't it? f4-5.6

Some of us could care less about having f2.8 or less lenses. I'll take lighter and smaller any day over faster.

Does anyone know when this lens will be released. I can't find any info anywhere, and from what I can tell it hasn't been officially announced for the US market.

I am hoping for a small 60mm'ish macro lens, and then a telephoto zoom.

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:34 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

andyjaggy82 wrote:
...Some of us could care less...

How much less?

Jul 08, 2013 at 09:02 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #10 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Haha...

Jul 08, 2013 at 09:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

UCSB
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Some of us could care less about having f2.8 or less lenses. I'll take lighter and smaller any day over faster.

Does anyone know when this lens will be released. I can't find any info anywhere, and from what I can tell it hasn't been officially announced for the US market.

I am hoping for a small 60mm'ish macro lens, and then a telephoto zoom.

Canon is releasing the 11-22 on July 11th.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:46 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

11-22 + M2 with the 70d sensor is sounding good....

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:10 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #13 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

RobDickinson wrote:
11-22 + M2 with the 70d sensor is sounding good....

That's what I'm thinking. If the 70D's sensor is used in the M's successor then I think it's going to be a hot seller.

If Canon is serious about the mirrorless segment, they should also release a bunch of lenses. How about a superzoom and then a telephoto (say something similar to Panasonic's 100-300mm lens)?

Jul 09, 2013 at 07:10 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Problem with a superzoom or a telephoto is that they generally arnt much smaller than the SLR equivalent.

You can make the shorter lenses smaller, not so much the longer ones. an 18-135STM with the EF adapter I found made a very nice combo. I didnt expect to like the 18-135 (hated the old one) but the STM version made a nice do everything for the M.

Jul 09, 2013 at 07:33 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #15 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

RobDickinson wrote:
Problem with a superzoom or a telephoto is that they generally arnt much smaller than the SLR equivalent.

You can make the shorter lenses smaller, not so much the longer ones. an 18-135STM with the EF adapter I found made a very nice combo. I didnt expect to like the 18-135 (hated the old one) but the STM version made a nice do everything for the M.

Sony was able to make a decent 18-200mm lens for their NEX system. It's not very small, but Sony showed that it can be made.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:16 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

As I said - theres little reason to make a specific EF-M 18-200 apart from to sell it to people who dont have the EF adaptor I guess.

The sony one is not really smaller than the canon one.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:25 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

lsquare wrote:
Sony was able to make a decent 18-200mm lens for their NEX system. It's not very small, but Sony showed that it can be made.

thats the thing , of course 'it can be made' . heck if small is not a requirement i bet Canon could make a steller 18-200 just like they make the best superzoom for the EF mount in the 28-300L

I just had a look at that Nex 18-200 on photozone , and really cant see the point in sticking that on a small body like the nex , it just looks unbalanced to carry around . but then ive seen many 'dads out with family' walking around with a rebel class body and a superzoom from Sigma/Tamron (ie 18-270) as well and that does not look comfortable to carry around either .

really for me if these mirrorless bodies are to have any real effect on keeping the overal size nice and small then the lenses need to to be clever like the panasonic that collapses really small when not in use .

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:33 AM
johnctharp
• • •
p.2 #18 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Looking at the Sony above, it seems that Sony just popped their A-mount 18-200 and E-mount adapter into a new barrel and called it 'good'. It certainly doesn't look like it was actually designed with the E-mount in mind.

If Canon were to build an EF-M 18-200 with the care that they put into the new EF-S 18-135 STM, I'd be willing to bet that such a lens would be optically decent while being very small and very light.

Of course, I'd prefer to see a 'dual-pixel CMOS' EOS-M before anything else, and that may be what Canon is waiting for; it's hard to see them pushing complicated and expensive lenses into production for a system that the community has effectively shunned.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

I don't understand why canon is not releasing this lens in the US. Isn't this a very unusual strategy for them? I just got the EOS-M and with the 22mm, the 18-55 and the 11-22, you have a pretty darn good travel vacation setup for landscape pictures. If they added a 50mm f2, that would be one awesome setup if you don't need to go over 90mm FF.

Chris

Jul 09, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.2 #20 · Canon Announces EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens

Schlotkins wrote:
I don't understand why canon is not releasing this lens in the US. Isn't this a very unusual strategy for them? I just got the EOS-M and with the 22mm, the 18-55 and the 11-22, you have a pretty darn good travel vacation setup for landscape pictures. If they added a 50mm f2, that would be one awesome setup if you don't need to go over 90mm FF.

Chris

I'd like to see Canon match or better the Sony SEL50 1.8 OSS and maybe the SEL 55-210 OSS (pretty small for a tele).
Steve

Edited on Jul 09, 2013 at 08:11 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2013 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password