New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · twine as light meter?

khwaja
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · twine as light meter?

this guy seems to be measuring light with a string?

i grinned at first, but it seems like a pretty good idea...

youtube

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · twine as light meter?

When ambient light gets into the mix stuff gets a litle more tricky

Jun 06, 2013 at 06:40 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · twine as light meter?

Tying a string to a direct manual flash is an old trick, since the fall off it predictable. It works quite well, especially when lighting groups with a single centered light; just arrange the group in the arc the end of the string traces and lighting will be even across the group.

Back in the 70s I used a variation on that method using a single power Graflex flash and shooting for standard paced-off distances of 16, 11, 8 and 6 ft. closing the lens a stop with each closer distance.

But with the instant feedback of digital I find it easier for the model to simply hold up a gray card (for checking WB during editing) and white towel (for exposure) and fire off a few test shots until the towel is 1/3 stop under clipping in the playback. That takes ambient overlap into account. When using dual flash and wanting a full range of detail I'll add a black towel target into the mix to gauge the fill level, again adjusting the overlapping key flash based on the white target clipping. Get the shadows and highlights rendered correctly then everything in-between will be also.

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · twine as light meter?

+1 @ portable pre-measured math relationships ... i.e. old school.

Finger Tip - Finger Tip (1)
Breast Plate - Finger Tip (1/2)
Elbow - Finger Tip (1/4)

Jun 06, 2013 at 11:02 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · twine as light meter?

khwaja wrote:
this guy seems to be measuring light with a string?

I shot high school senior portraits for Lifetouch for a while. We used soft boxes or the Westcott Halo on our main light. The lights were fully manual so once every couple of weeks I'd meter it and when the string length gave me a reliable f/8 I knew I was set. That let me move the main light from frame to frame and remain correctly exposed. Since we were doing upwards of 15 shots per kid the entire school day it was a real time saver.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:54 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.