Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

sstyler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

HELP! I made a monumental mistake of not having a redundant back up system for some really nice vacation pictures. I ran short of memory cards so I off-loaded the days pictures to a brand new external USB hard drive. When I got home, I somehow corrupted the master boot sector of the external drive while copying the pictures to my main computer. The drive still shows in Windows Disk Manager, not as an NTFS drive but as a healthy RAW partition (no file system), and it is unreadable. Before I go to a data recovery place, I wanted to check the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and has resolved it with a commercial data recovery program. I have both raw and small jpg files from 5 different cameras on the drive and am wondering if I will lose the file attributes. Some of them even have GPS coordinates. I would welcome hearing from anyone who has been down this road. BTW - I did a topic search before posting this and could not find any other forum post dealing with this topic. I can't imagine I'm the only one. If I'm looking in the wrong place, please let me know. Thank you.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:39 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

By chance was the external drive formatted for a MAC. You could try to connect to a Mac if you know someone that has one. There is no way to to change without formatting but if they are visible, you can at least recover the data.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:51 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

No. It was formatted on a Windows 7 machine in NTFS. I read somewhere that Ubuntu should be able to read a RAW drive, so I downloaded that and ran it from a boot disk. It apparently didn't have support for USB. I installed the bad drive as the "D" drive and re-booted with Ubuntu, but it never recognized the drive. Thanks

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Kitehog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

I just had an internal drive fail on me it had the Jpeg copies of a lot of images on it and I had not backed it up in about 3 months. Needless to say I was a little concerned.

I did a lot of research and sending it out was cost prohibitive as it was just personal pictures. BTW beware of hard drive recovery businesses that have super low prices its normally a bait and switch operation.

Anyway I finally purchased and downloaded "Zero Assumption Recovery". It cost me $60 but was able to recover 98% of the files off my drive. It took about 18 hours total but I know have most of my images (And a new backup). Check it out it may work for you also

Greg

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:53 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

I haven't tried recovering a missing partition, but what you're looking for is partition recovery and raw disk data recovery.

MiniTool Power Data Recovery will recover up to 1gb for free, so you can download/install and try it to see if it will see your data before paying for it:
http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/power-data-recovery-free-edition.html

There are some other options like:
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

I actually just had a partition go missing on a USB disk so I'm trying out MiniTool.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:05 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

I am right now recovering data from an external that for some reason spat the dummy. It has alot of my 2013 images without a backup so I was pretty annoyed. The program Getdataback NTFS works great, I've used it before.

If you need a copy let me know

Jun 06, 2013 at 07:31 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

somethings goin on...just went to get images off my CF & it comes up corrupted...different pc too. Hmm...

Jun 06, 2013 at 08:16 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

The best otpin is try try various file recovery programs and see if they can read your file names. This with the free version normally downloaded from the web, which does not actually recover the files. However if it can list the file names, there is a good chance it can recover them after you pay to activate fully the file recovery capability.
I have had good luck with File Scavenger

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm?source=msn40

cost is $50
If this doesn't work, search for other programs under "file recovery" or such, and try out the free version first.
Mike K

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:00 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on what I've read and heard here, I can try any of the downloadable data recovery programs without risking loss of data. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So, I guess if all else fails, I can get out my checkbook and visit the professional data recovery folks, but I suspect they probably use the same programs. I'll post what I wind up using and what success I have.

Have any of you successfully recovered camera raw files such as .CR2 or just jpg?

Tim

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:26 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

MiniTool Power Data Recovery found my entire missing drive partition with nearly all of the files fully named/recognized inside. There were 3-4 files located in a "Lost Files" directory that appear corrupted, but about 1,200 or so that are intact and readable.

Jun 06, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

sstyler wrote:
Have any of you successfully recovered camera raw files such as .CR2 or just jpg?

Tim

Hi Simeon,

It's all just 1's and 0's to the computer, if the files are still intact (and, likely, too, if they're corrupted/damaged) any capable data-recovery software should be able to retrieve it all for you. I'm piping in from the Mac side of things, and am only here to offer words of encouragement...I had to do this once a few years back with my old G5 iMac, the internal power supply apparently suffered an unprotected surge and when the system went down I was left with an unaddressable HDD. I pulled the drive, threw it in an external enclosure, connected it to a MacBook Pro, fired up Data Rescue and got all my data back along with a few corrupted files that must have taken a dive when the power supply went south.

It's a PITA and it sucks when it happens, but yeah, you can do this...

Best of luck,
Jimmy G

Jun 07, 2013 at 12:33 AM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm 35% through the process using GetBackData for NTFS version 4.33. I'll report the results tomorrow. I have about 30-40 GB of raw and small jpg files from my vacation to Glacier National Park and the Canadian Rockies last month. The drive didn't morph into a RAW drive until after I had transferred all (I believe) of my "landscape" pictures. What's missing are my telephoto shots of the incredible wildlife. Got my fingers crossed. And I will NEVER again fail to have a redundant back up plan.

Jun 07, 2013 at 01:51 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

Always nice running into a fellow alum of HardKnocks University... ...I now keep two separate external 1TB's on the desk next to my current machine. Drives are cheaper than I am...go Mules!

Jun 07, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

sstyler wrote:

Using the file scavenger program mentioned in my previous post I recovered both RAW and TIFF. What was lost was the file organization (folders).
Mike K

Jun 07, 2013 at 04:32 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

sstyler, please let us know how you make out. It may help another poor soul in the future. Thanks.

Jun 07, 2013 at 06:14 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

Well, I finished my first recovery scan using GetBackData for NTFS version 4.33. The cost was $79.00. I paid through PayPal. First, I downloaded the free program. Using the unregistered "free" program, I scanned my drive and got an idea of what data was recoverable. The scan of my 750GB drive with about 30-40 GB of data took about 9-10 hours. Actually, I went to bed. In the morning, what I found was a recovered folder for each of the five (5) cameras I had taken on the vacation. Inside each folder appeared to be all of my photos, both raw and jpg. Everything appeared to be the same as it has been on my external USB drive before it went South. In order to copy the recovered files and paste them to another drive, I had to register the program and pay the price. I received an email notice, receipt and registration number almost immediately. By this time, I was obviously very excited. Unfortunately, only about 90% of the pictures were readable, even though they showed up as CR2 and jpg files, they would not open. That's why I said I had completed my first recovery scan. I'm doing it again to see if I can recover any of the pictures that were not readable the first time. I also seem to have lost my video files, which for me, is not a great loss. I am thrilled beyond belief to have recovered the majority of my vacation pictures and found the recovery process to be quite easy. Just for fun, I may try one of the other data recovery programs mentioned by other FM members in this post to see if any does a better job of recovery. If they do, I'll update this post. Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice and support.

Tim

Jun 07, 2013 at 09:47 PM
sstyler
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

Final note: I downloaded the MiniTools Power Data Recovery and, unless I ran the wrong level of scan, it did not keep the original file structure, original file names or attributes. All it recovered were jpg files - not a single raw file. GetBackData kept all of this, including GPS coordinates when available. I am really quite pleased with the results I achieved. Thanks again for all the help and support.

Jun 09, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

sstyler, thanks again for keeping us updated. This is a topic that comes up at least twice a year so your solution may help the next guy/gal. Good work in not panicking and sending it off to one of those high priced data recovery shops. I don't know how they can justify their prices but somebody must be paying them.

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:16 AM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

A bit late to the party...something else you might want to try.

If you're comfortable with a command line and Linux, you could give GNU ddresuce a try. The program is free.

Last year, I had a hard drive that began failing, and I was able to use ddrescue to create a backup image of the failing hard drive. With the backup image in hand, I was able to mount the image on my computer and copy the files off. On a 500GB hard drive filled with images, I lost two.

For this process, obviously, you need to have enough disk space for two copies - one for the image and one for the recovered files. The reason for the image is because you might only have one shot at recovering the data from a dying drive, so better to image it while you can and operate off the image later, than to try and recover directly off the drive, be unsuccessful, and have it die on subsequent attempts.

For me, the entire process took forever because the drive was so bad that the read speed averaged out to be something much less than 100 bytes/second (not a typo! I don't remember exactly what it was, except that it was some two digit number bytes/second).

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:38 PM
jackhilfuer

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Unreadable External Drive - Data Recovery Question

You may try some external hard drive data recovery tool
http://www.asoftech.com/articles/External-Drive-Data-Recovery.html
http://001-software.com/file-recovery/

Jun 16, 2014 at 09:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register